Cell Phones

i need a new phone- RFD please recommend!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2018 11:24 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto

i need a new phone- RFD please recommend!

I have an iphone 6s but today I cracked it and it was time for a new phone anyway. I am kind of sick and tired of running out of room on these apples and I cant afford a 128gb so off to android I go. I like that android is more of a PC in handheld form too.
So please recommend me an android phone under $400 that is 5.5" no larger.
Im currently on the Koodo byod $48 Manitoba plan.

Thank you!
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26889 posts
6111 upvotes
You can get the Samsung A8 for $360 (medium tab, $0 upfront). If you get it this weekend at Walmart, they'll include a $100 gift card
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: You can get the Samsung A8 for $360 (medium tab, $0 upfront). If you get it this weekend at Walmart, they'll include a $100 gift card
Hey thanks. I didnt realize I could get a phone through Koodo on this plan because of the loophole issue and I don't want to raise any red flags. It's also $120 on small tab with $150 in activation credits. I'm not sure what activation credits are though.
Also how do I buy through Walmart? I thought I had to order on the Koodo website?
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26889 posts
6111 upvotes
DIrty-D wrote: Hey thanks. I didnt realize I could get a phone through Koodo on this plan because of the loophole issue and I don't want to raise any red flags. It's also $120 on small tab with $150 in activation credits. I'm not sure what activation credits are though.
Also how do I buy through Walmart? I thought I had to order on the Koodo website?
Sorry, I should have clarified. To get the deal I listed, you need to sign up for a new plan, either as a new customer, or add a new line to your account. You need to do this at Walmart in order to get the $100 gift card. Then you need to either cancel right away or put that line on seasonal hold for 90 days, then cancel after that. You'll get billed $360 for the price of the tab. There's also a $30 activation fee. So you'll pay $406.80 for the phone ($360 + 13%), $30 for the activation fee and you'll get a $100 Walmart GC.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: Sorry, I should have clarified. To get the deal I listed, you need to sign up for a new plan, either as a new customer, or add a new line to your account. You need to do this at Walmart in order to get the $100 gift card. Then you need to either cancel right away or put that line on seasonal hold for 90 days, then cancel after that. You'll get billed $360 for the price of the tab. There's also a $30 activation fee. So you'll pay $406.80 for the phone ($360 + 13%), $30 for the activation fee and you'll get a $100 Walmart GC.
Sounds pretty easy thanks. Do I sign up and cancel at Walmart all in one go or do I wait to cancel when I get home on koodo self serve? Also what is seasonal hold and why would we want to do that instead of cancel?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7688 posts
5187 upvotes
Canada
DIrty-D wrote: Sounds pretty easy thanks. Do I sign up and cancel at Walmart all in one go or do I wait to cancel when I get home on koodo self serve? Also what is seasonal hold and why would we want to do that instead of cancel?
You cancel after getting home.

But many people go on seasonal hold instead for a few reasons - rep gets their commission and you don't raise flags at Walmart or koodo (people report unable to do this trick again if you sign up and cancel). They can look up your account history. You don't want to kill the golden goose... If too many people sign up and cancel, koodo will likely close this trick.

Seasonal hold is $15/mo, you need to stay 3 months. When you call, rep may not give you seasonal hold on new account. Keep trying, say you are going on vacation out of country, etc.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26889 posts
6111 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: You can cancel as soon as you get home. Did it twice in 6 months and got an S7 and S8 with no problems. Koodo doesn’t care or they would have changed the cancellation policy a long time ago.
Agreed. I always cancel right away
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote: You can cancel as soon as you get home. Did it twice in 6 months and got an S7 and S8 with no problems. Koodo doesn’t care or they would have changed the cancellation policy a long time ago.
Shaner wrote:
Agreed. I always cancel right away
Thank you both. Would it make sense to just start another account and another self serve account altogether and cancel that? OI would be using the same credit card as my current koodo account.
Or can I set up an account without a credit card?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7688 posts
5187 upvotes
Canada
DIrty-D wrote: Thank you both. Would it make sense to just start another account and another self serve account altogether and cancel that? OI would be using the same credit card as my current koodo account.
Or can I set up an account without a credit card?
they do a credit check
Jan 24, 2018
86 posts
18 upvotes
Do Wow Mobile deals work the same way as listed above with Walmart? (sign up and cancel)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7688 posts
5187 upvotes
Canada
dreamergal wrote: Do Wow Mobile deals work the same way as listed above with Walmart? (sign up and cancel)
Yes, but wow mobile will definately blacklist you for next time if you cancel immediately

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)