Computers & Electronics

I need an SSD within 24 hours, recommendations on the cheapest ones?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 10:54 am
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
844 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

I need an SSD within 24 hours, recommendations on the cheapest ones?

Hi there, I need an SSD within the next 24 hours, which means I"ll have to pick up in store. Would like your recommendation of the cheapest ones that are also not bad quality. No refurbs pls.

I found 2 drives that I think are the cheapest and are available in store as I called them, let me know if you can find any cheaper ones, and whether those are OK brands. Looking for either 120-256gb SSDs no higher.
Adata SU650 120GB SSD for $29
Adata SU650 240GB SSD for $49

Thanks

EDIT: Also my location should say Toronto not Vancouver (I'm in GTA Richmond Hill), also don't care if its M.2 or SATA as just the cheapest
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3823 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
I have the higher end adata SSD (SU850?) and it runs just fine. Placed it in several machines from laptops to desktops and I would buy another one if I had to.
novanon dot net is great. anyone know anything similar to it?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14500 posts
1820 upvotes
Toronto
Both SSDs should be fine. I've used the 240 GB in a MacBook Pro from 2011.
Dec 20, 2009
950 posts
139 upvotes
I am in a similar spot--repurposing wife's 2014 HP Envy for 14 year son and schoolwork. I was looking at the ADATA at ME for $45 for 650 or $60 for 800. But as an educator I get an extra 10% off at Staples until Tuesday, so can purchase the Samsung EVO for $70. If I got 2 more years out of the ENVY I would be thrilled, but thinking a year.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1887 posts
797 upvotes
Saint John
Philbert wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:50 pm
I am in a similar spot--repurposing wife's 2014 HP Envy for 14 year son and schoolwork. I was looking at the ADATA at ME for $45 for 650 or $60 for 800. But as an educator I get an extra 10% off at Staples until Tuesday, so can purchase the Samsung EVO for $70. If I got 2 more years out of the ENVY I would be thrilled, but thinking a year.
If the Envy isn't broken or breaking, there's no reason it shouldn't last more than a year. For basic work, there haven't been many advances since 2010/2011 (other than the widespread adoption of SSDs) except for incremental improvements to things like power usage and thus battery life. If your 2014 machine has an Intel CPU (likely a Haswell dual core with hyperthreading), it should be up to most common non-gaming tasks for an indefinite amount of time. If you feel like the computer is slow and it has a mechanical HDD, replacing that with an SSD and a fresh copy of Windows 10 will make it feel almost as snappy as a new laptop. The only other thing you might have to replace is the battery, which might not be super easy as I assume the Envy's battery is internal. But even so if you can access the guts (usually by removing the bottom panel), it's probably as simple as disconnecting the old battery, pulling it out, and putting in a new one.

In your case, you aren't going to notice the speed difference between the $45 drive and the 860 EVO at $70. Save yourself some money and get the cheaper drive... sure $25 isn't a lot of cash, but if you think of it in percent terms you're paying >50% more for an identical experience.
Dec 20, 2009
950 posts
139 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:19 pm
If the Envy isn't broken or breaking, there's no reason it shouldn't last more than a year. For basic work, there haven't been many advances since 2010/2011 (other than the widespread adoption of SSDs) except for incremental improvements to things like power usage and thus battery life. If your 2014 machine has an Intel CPU (likely a Haswell dual core with hyperthreading), it should be up to most common non-gaming tasks for an indefinite amount of time. If you feel like the computer is slow and it has a mechanical HDD, replacing that with an SSD and a fresh copy of Windows 10 will make it feel almost as snappy as a new laptop. The only other thing you might have to replace is the battery, which might not be super easy as I assume the Envy's battery is internal. But even so if you can access the guts (usually by removing the bottom panel), it's probably as simple as disconnecting the old battery, pulling it out, and putting in a new one.

In your case, you aren't going to notice the speed difference between the $45 drive and the 860 EVO at $70. Save yourself some money and get the cheaper drive... sure $25 isn't a lot of cash, but if you think of it in percent terms you're paying >50% more for an identical experience.
The corner bottom screw by the screen is broken and held together with Gorilla tape so the screen cannot be opened or closed. Like I did until bought my wife the Asus S530UA, I will set it at the height my son wants and tape it so it is unmovable. It has a 5th gen i5, so it's fine until he starts high school. The battery is removable without opening the cover, and I will clean install Windows on the ssd. I'm more interested in failure quality than speed, which is why I would consider the Samsung. I'm sure they can all fail, though.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1887 posts
797 upvotes
Saint John
Philbert wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 2:13 pm
The corner bottom screw by the screen is broken and held together with Gorilla tape so the screen cannot be opened or closed. Like I did until bought my wife the Asus S530UA, I will set it at the height my son wants and tape it so it is unmovable. It has a 5th gen i5, so it's fine until he starts high school. The battery is removable without opening the cover, and I will clean install Windows on the ssd. I'm more interested in failure quality than speed, which is why I would consider the Samsung. I'm sure they can all fail, though.
I've never suffered a failure since the Sandforce days (>5 years ago) among dozens of SSDs. I'd just check customer reviews on major etailers like Amazon and Newegg. If the drive has a good rep there, it's likely just as reliable as anything else on the market. Samsung makes high performance drives, but they're no less likely to fail than drives from other reputable manufacturers. And if you do have problems, you have to deal with Samsung's warranty process. There's a large thread about that here - some people have had smooth experiences while others have had to deal with serious frustration.

Some have recommended the Kingston A400, and I'd concur - it's cheap, has good customer reviews, and Kingston has a pretty decent Canadian customer support system IIRC. Of course it's not as fast as the 860 EVO, but you're unlikely to notice the difference with that workload/setup.
Dec 20, 2009
950 posts
139 upvotes
Installed the Adata 650 for $45 from ME as I prefer to buy from a store. Works fine and fast enough for my purposes. I read that in bios I was supposed to switch from Sata to AHCI but I couldn’t find the setting—no advanced option.
Aug 21, 2006
24 posts
7 upvotes
One of my two SU650s died without warning. I’d look for a better brand if you can afford it.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
844 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
dainja wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:02 am
One of my two SU650s died without warning. I’d look for a better brand if you can afford it.
Oh really, I hope that doesn't happen to me, I just bought the 240GB SU650.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1887 posts
797 upvotes
Saint John
Philbert wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 12:34 am
Installed the Adata 650 for $45 from ME as I prefer to buy from a store. Works fine and fast enough for my purposes. I read that in bios I was supposed to switch from Sata to AHCI but I couldn’t find the setting—no advanced option.
Even on relatively new systems now there is often no option for legacy IDE-type SATA connectivity. It's likely that your machine only supports AHCI, which is SATA's native interface. Your setting is correct.

For those worried about SU650 reliability, user reviews do suggest it may be iffier than some other makes/models. Adata as a brand (in my experience) is pretty good with CS, so if it does fail getting a replacement should be relatively painless. Just make sure you use a program like Macrium Reflect to take regular backup images of your drive, and maybe use a service line Dropbox/OneDrive/etc. to store critical documents, photos, and so on.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)