• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2021 10:10 am
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
425 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto

I Need to start lifting weights

I consider myself to be fit I'm about 5'11 160 pounds and love doing cardio. I go out for runs and If I don't feel like running I will put my headphones on, find a trail and do the whole thing which ends up exceeding 12-15kms.

I reactivated my gym membership. Before I would just go to use the swimming pool, basketball courts or the stair machine. The not so serious doomsday prepper in me always thought, if theres a zombie outbreak, the one with the best cardio will survive, muscles will be redundant.

But seriously, I do need to build some muscle. What should my gym routine look like?

I was looking to use the machines and dumbbells mostly. Not so much into bench pressing since I probably can't lift anything more than 10 pound with the bar.

What exercise and how many sets x reps would you recommend. Looking to develop Bi's, Tris, and arms mostly. Any apps or websites that can have these daily gameplans?

My end goal is to build muscle but stay lean. I wanna maintain that agility for tennis and basketball.

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1292 posts
738 upvotes
Some people focus on cardio and avoid strength. Others focus on strength and don't do much cardio. But to be really fit, you need to do both (and add flexibility and balance). Strength is very important for quality of life as you get older (bone and muscle strength both improved with strength training). Also in a zombie outbreak, you can't always run away, sometimes you just have to fight off the zombies and you need strength to fight.

Rather than type a long reply, there are tons of resources on the internet that can guide you. Here's one that I find easy to read and good for beginners: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/strength-training-101/

I would not suggest too many machines, as machines can be an inefficient use of your time (most only work one muscle group at a time). And some machines can restrict you movement, or do not allow you to strengthen stablizer muscles. Nerd Fitness has some good suggestions on different routines (including body weight, dumbells, and barbells).

For barbell routines, you can check out programs like Starting Strength, or Strong Lifts 5X5 If you really want to build strength, you will need to get comfortable with barbells, and steadily increasing the weight. You won't get bulky. You will build lean muscle.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46733 posts
9834 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Full body workout with compound exercises.

-bench press
-squat
-dead lift

To some extent
-military press/shoulder press
- seated lat row machine

Body weight and core
-pull ups
-dips
-ab work
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Sep 8th, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1431 posts
463 upvotes
Calgary
Thorkell wrote: I consider myself to be fit I'm about 5'11 160 pounds and love doing cardio. I go out for runs and If I don't feel like running I will put my headphones on, find a trail and do the whole thing which ends up exceeding 12-15kms.

I reactivated my gym membership. Before I would just go to use the swimming pool, basketball courts or the stair machine. The not so serious doomsday prepper in me always thought, if theres a zombie outbreak, the one with the best cardio will survive, muscles will be redundant.

But seriously, I do need to build some muscle. What should my gym routine look like?

I was looking to use the machines and dumbbells mostly. Not so much into bench pressing since I probably can't lift anything more than 10 pound with the bar.

What exercise and how many sets x reps would you recommend. Looking to develop Bi's, Tris, and arms mostly. Any apps or websites that can have these daily gameplans?

My end goal is to build muscle but stay lean. I wanna maintain that agility for tennis and basketball.

Thanks
If you’re worried about not being able to lift much on a lift, don’t worry about. Honestly, no one cares. We all started somewhere. We all have different goals in this game. And if feel it’s an issue, but don’t address it, it will never change.

It’s one day at a time, one set, one rep.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4179 posts
2079 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Just start with a beginner program like SL 5x5. Get the app and it will help you with tracking and it will literally tell you how much do lift etc.
Never compare yourself to anyone else, except to yourself from yesterday. No ONE and I do mean NO ONE in the gym cares what you lift. Watch videos and learn the proper form. Prioritize form over weight increase, always, or you will get hurt. You are only cheating yourself, no one else. You have to realize that genetics play a huge role in what ppl look like and what they can lift etc. also, PEDs.

Start today. Just start. Dont think about it. You will always find an excuse why not to do something.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1192 posts
688 upvotes
Manitoba
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Just start with a beginner program like SL 5x5. Get the app and it will help you with tracking and it will literally tell you how much do lift etc.
Never compare yourself to anyone else, except to yourself from yesterday. No ONE and I do mean NO ONE in the gym cares what you lift. Watch videos and learn the proper form. Prioritize form over weight increase, always, or you will get hurt. You are only cheating yourself, no one else. You have to realize that genetics play a huge role in what ppl look like and what they can lift etc. also, PEDs.

Start today. Just start. Dont think about it. You will always find an excuse why not to do something.
I was about to suggest the same. I too am restarting lifting weights, probably more in the winter.