Personal Finance

I never received my Credit Disclosure (report). What do I do?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2020 4:16 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON

I never received my Credit Disclosure (report). What do I do?

I ordered 2 credit disclosures several weeks ago. ~8-9 days after I got the Transunion one, but even though it told me it was successful I never got my Equifax one. I'm worried it was intercepted. What do I do? What are my options? Is it possible they just didn't send it (or delivered to wrong address and then got returned to sender)? Thank you.

PS: I haven't moved in several years so it would have to be Canada Posts fault if it was sent somewhere else.
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Kept Amazon.ca Sorting Tool: https://katrina.life/s/
* A google ad cover's bandwidth
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4%/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% BMO CB (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I would sign up at Borrowell or Ratehub. Both of those offer free Equifax reports. Now that you have your Transunion report, which will have similar info to your Equifax report, you should be able to pass the security questions.

I would also call Equifax. I wonder if they're overwhelmed due to COVID-19.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
FoFai2015 wrote: I would sign up at Borrowell or Ratehub. Both of those offer free Equifax reports. Now that you have your Transunion report, which will have similar info to your Equifax report, you should be able to pass the security questions.

I would also call Equifax. I wonder if they're overwhelmed due to COVID-19.
I already had no problem passing the security questions. I only got my credit report so I could review it, and Equifax makes you send by mail. I actually normally get Transunion to give me the free download one, but only got the paper one from them too because I was already getting the Equifax one by mail. I'm not looking for similar information, I want to see if there is anything there that shouldn't be... Now, I fear there will start to be, if someone did intercept it...

PS: If they are overwhelmed I'm okay, because I don't need it instantly. I'm just worried if it's not because of that. But how do I get ahold of Equifax? Usually the correct number is in the disclosure.
Kiraly wrote: I requested my Equifax report by snail mail in May, it took 3-4 weeks for it to arrive IIRC.
So I'm looong overdue, both compared to Transunion, and compared to you. It's been like 7+ weeks now. I gave them plenty of time.
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4%/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% BMO CB (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10328 posts
6693 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Just ordered both by snail mail this week so hopefully get soon and will update then.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
I've called them and received the most unsatisfactory of responses from...8... agents in a row. "Maybe they didn't send it"... this is a huge deal. I need to know exactly if they sent it or not and if I need to be upping identity theft protection. They have no idea and half of them say they can't transfer to a supervisor, some say they'll do a call back (which never happens) and a couple tried to transfer me unsuccessfully... Equifax is 100x shittier customer service than Transunion. I can't understand how this is the case - they are supposed to be the ones with more accurate and detailed reports.
NoAF CB Combo:
May 18, 2019
933 posts
513 upvotes
TransUnion is far more consumer-friendly than Equifax has ever been.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3440 posts
2670 upvotes
Montreal, QC
NobleFalcon1 wrote: TransUnion is far more consumer-friendly than Equifax has ever been.
Not only that but Transunion allows you to get your credit disclosure online free once a month whereas Equifax doesn't and in order to get the free credit disclosure/report from Equifax, they will snail mail it to you.
Apr 16, 2020
375 posts
480 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: Not only that but Transunion allows you to get your credit disclosure online free once a month whereas Equifax doesn't and in order to get the free credit disclosure/report from Equifax, they will snail mail it to you.
For now at least you can get an Equifax credit report for free online.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
lmcjipo wrote: Not only that but Transunion allows you to get your credit disclosure online free once a month whereas Equifax doesn't and in order to get the free credit disclosure/report from Equifax, they will snail mail it to you.
I know about that. Truth is there have been more mistakes on Transunion, but it's always been a) easier to get the report and b) easier to resolve mistakes that are on it.

PS: Despite the promises of call backs, none have attempted to contact me.
NoAF CB Combo:
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3440 posts
2670 upvotes
Montreal, QC
CouponBaron wrote: I know about that. Truth is there have been more mistakes on Transunion, but it's always been a) easier to get the report and b) easier to resolve mistakes that are on it.

PS: Despite the promises of call backs, none have attempted to contact me.
I have 1 year free online Equifax reporting/login due to a breach in MGM Resorts: mgm-resorts-international-free-equifax- ... y-2381891/

Tranunion allows me to get my credit disclosure online once a month for free (which is more than sufficient for me)

Getting a free account on Credit Karma and Borrowell if these companies algorithms can properly identify you to set up the account provides a less detailed report even though each of these companies uses the other credit reporting bureau (Credit Karma uses Transunion and Borrowell uses Equifax)

For me, both Transunion and Equifax show mistaken information for my home phone number as well as my current place of employment. Despite me having worked for the same company for over 8 years and applying for new bank accounts and credit products at least once a year where I state my current place of employment, one company shows my current place of employment as a company that I haven't worked at in over 10 years and the other company shows my current place of employment as a company that I haven't worked in over 20 years.

Both companies also don't seem to allow you to correct this information since their "correction" form only allows for you to state what you perceive as errors with specific creditors.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3440 posts
2670 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Kneader wrote: For now at least you can get an Equifax credit report for free online.
Thanks for the info.

I have mine for free for a year online because of a compromise at MGM Resorts.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto
lmcjipo wrote: For me, both Transunion and Equifax show mistaken information for my home phone number as well as my current place of employment. Despite me having worked for the same company for over 8 years and applying for new bank accounts and credit products at least once a year where I state my current place of employment, one company shows my current place of employment as a company that I haven't worked at in over 10 years and the other company shows my current place of employment as a company that I haven't worked in over 20 years.

Both companies also don't seem to allow you to correct this information since their "correction" form only allows for you to state what you perceive as errors with specific creditors.
Try putting a "see attached sheet for additional corrections" in the error section and list out both the incorrect and correct phone #'s and employers with the appropriate dates etc.
Sometimes adding a copy of the phone bill showing the telephone number and a pay stub helps.