I paid my water bill but they said I didn't

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2023 10:43 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
191 posts
164 upvotes

I paid my water bill but they said I didn't

Hi, the water company claimed I didn't pay the April 2022 bill, but I checked bank statements it shows I did on April 25th. The water company showed me their computer record and there was no transaction on 25th. The payments in other months went through it is just the April bill didn't.

So how can I prove I did pay the bill, send them my bank statement? Or call the bank? Anyone has similar experience? Thanks.
21 replies
May 24, 2021
184 posts
116 upvotes
I would double check your bank statement to see the payee and the amount was deducted, call the bank to verify, and call the water company what u have found.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
191 posts
164 upvotes
SmokinGun wrote: I would double check your bank statement to see the payee and the amount was deducted, call the bank to verify, and call the water company what u have found.
The water company just emailed me and asked for the bank statement should I send it, is it safe to send a bank statement?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2944 posts
5033 upvotes
Atlantic
Samuro wrote: So how can I prove I did pay the bill, send them my bank statement? Or call the bank? Anyone has similar experience? Thanks.
Call the bank. They need to trace the payment.

Is this the first time you've made a bill payment to city water payee? Seems strange if you've paid it before via the same method.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
191 posts
164 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote: Call the bank. They need to trace the payment.

Is this the first time you've made a bill payment to city water payee? Seems strange if you've paid it before via the same method.
Just called, they Said they needed 10 business days to send me an email for confirmation of payment
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3926 posts
2653 upvotes
London
just print off a copy of your online bank statement. block out most of your account number and send that to them as proof u sent the payment.
May 6, 2016
288 posts
82 upvotes
if the bill is from April 2022, that is so old. any outstanding balance should have shown up on the next corresponding bill.

did you call the water company phone number to make sure that the person calling you is legit?

i won't give out my bank statement to a stranger over email (I guess block out all the other information aside from your name, the total amount paid, the date and the water bill company name).

check the water account number you paid. if this is not the first time paying your water bill, then the account number on file should be correct.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13440 posts
8813 upvotes
Markham
Could you log in water company website and check by yourself? As other said, even you didn't pay April's, it would roll over to May

And how did they show you there was no indication that you paid? They emailed you records?

Seems suspicious
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
5129 posts
1596 upvotes
does it matter?
Remember OP always come to RFD. It is better than Google or even the original company you are dealing with. Here you will get all suggestion on all topics. Finance experts or any other experts you can imagine. You will get answer instead of calling the company first.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
191 posts
164 upvotes
smartie wrote: Could you log in water company website and check by yourself? As other said, even you didn't pay April's, it would roll over to May

And how did they show you there was no indication that you paid? They emailed you records?

Seems suspicious
Long story, very complicated. It is a duplex on pei, I own one unit of the duplex, my cousin own the other half. For the April bill, the water department mixed up our account payments. My cousin's April payment paid into my account somehow, my April payment went into thin air.

Okay, fast forward to July payment (3 months per payment) since they thought I did paid the April payment, so the balance didn't roll over. Then my cousin found out (she didn't receive the April bill) and ask them to correct out accounts, then they told me I didn't pay the April bill.

After checking my bank statements, I paid 2 times to the water department, on April and October. Both payments are under the heading of "CORNWALLWTR" on the statements. The October payment went through but the April payment didn't. The PEI water department claimed I paid the April payment to Cornwall, Ontario, but if so the October payment shouldn't have gone through. I checked my etransfer payee name it said Cornwall town of pei, correct. But the name on the statements is abbreviation, "CORNWALLWTR".

Very confusing.
Apr 23, 2015
268 posts
165 upvotes
callernamet wrote: Remember OP always come to RFD. It is better than Google or even the original company you are dealing with. Here you will get all suggestion on all topics. Finance experts or any other experts you can imagine. You will get answer instead of calling the company first.
Or you know, the OP wants advice from actual people who might have faced a similar situation in the past. What even is the point of your post? If you don't like what the OP said, either downvote/report the post and move on.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10159 posts
4436 upvotes
Vaughan
smartie wrote: Could you log in water company website and check by yourself? As other said, even you didn't pay April's, it would roll over to May

Seems suspicious
OP

This. Can it be a scam!?

It happened to me, similar. We got a letter from collection agency, saying we missed paying, so the water company sent our account to this collection agency. We got suspicious due to.
- this is our rental condo, tenant agree to pay hydro, she showed her registration
- the amount/date, we did not occupy yet
- we never got water company’s missed payment
- only for 1 month
- big hmm
May 24, 2021
184 posts
116 upvotes
Samuro wrote: The water company just emailed me and asked for the bank statement should I send it, is it safe to send a bank statement?
Send, after u block off your bank account #, and other charges and deposits on the bank statement. Just show the bank balance before the water bill pymt, the payment to the water company, and the balance after the water bill pymt.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
191 posts
164 upvotes
teoconca wrote: OP

This. Can it be a scam!?

It happened to me, similar. We got a letter from collection agency, saying we missed paying, so the water company sent our account to this collection agency. We got suspicious due to.
- this is our rental condo, tenant agree to pay hydro, she showed her registration
- the amount/date, we did not occupy yet
- we never got water company’s missed payment
- only for 1 month
- big hmm
Don't think so, there was no collection letters I always throw them out when I see one. I conacted her through legit water department of Cornwall site, and she showed me a printout of my entire water bill account activities throughout the year, how much I paid, on what date, very specific.
May 28, 2012
12044 posts
4668 upvotes
Saskatoon
Whenever I make online payments I make note of the confirmation number after the transaction has gone through. I've never had to dispute a payment (so far) but I figured it would be easier to get fixed if they had a way to connect a payment to an account.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
5129 posts
1596 upvotes
does it matter?
Rebellium wrote: Or you know, the OP wants advice from actual people who might have faced a similar situation in the past. What even is the point of your post? If you don't like what the OP said, either downvote/report the post and move on.
I don't like your post so you move on. And my suggestion was always come to RFD instead of calling company. simple.
You don't like my opinion which I respect but not care.
Mars2012 wrote: Whenever I make online payments I make note of the confirmation number after the transaction has gone through. I've never had to dispute a payment (so far) but I figured it would be easier to get fixed if they had a way to connect a payment to an account.
correct. Bank has that ref number on transaction details. Recently in Jan I had few transaction. The amount of RRSP was returned 3 times. The ref number was only clue and I asked them to take money back as it was not mine. Even when branch employee says here is no record.
This is all computerized and there is always record. somewhere. Like any translation of utility of phone etc..So it can be tracked anytime only if they know how and have access.
Samuro wrote: Long story, very complicated. It is a duplex on pei, I own one unit of the duplex, my cousin own the other half. For the April bill, the water department mixed up our account payments. My cousin's April payment paid into my account somehow, my April payment went into thin air.

Okay, fast forward to July payment (3 months per payment) since they thought I did paid the April payment, so the balance didn't roll over. Then my cousin found out (she didn't receive the April bill) and ask them to correct out accounts, then they told me I didn't pay the April bill.

After checking my bank statements, I paid 2 times to the water department, on April and October. Both payments are under the heading of "CORNWALLWTR" on the statements. The October payment went through but the April payment didn't. The PEI water department claimed I paid the April payment to Cornwall, Ontario, but if so the October payment shouldn't have gone through. I checked my etransfer payee name it said Cornwall town of pei, correct. But the name on the statements is abbreviation, "CORNWALLWTR".

Very confusing.

This part is confusing. why E-transfer? and all these details you found out after calling the company right? not from RFD or any suggestion or opinion? like call company to get info? like mine?

Its simple to setup payee. operator error may be?
Images
  • cornwall.jpg
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
191 posts
164 upvotes
callernamet wrote: I don't like your post so you move on. And my suggestion was always come to RFD instead of calling company. simple.
You don't like my opinion which I respect but not care.

correct. Bank has that ref number on transaction details. Recently in Jan I had few transaction. The amount of RRSP was returned 3 times. The ref number was only clue and I asked them to take money back as it was not mine. Even when branch employee says here is no record.
This is all computerized and there is always record. somewhere. Like any translation of utility of phone etc..So it can be tracked anytime only if they know how and have access.

This part is confusing. why E-transfer? and all these details you found out after calling the company right? not from RFD or any suggestion or opinion? like call company to get info? like mine?

Its simple to setup payee. operator error may be?
I called both the bank and Company several times, the bank said bank statements, and confirmation code should be enough. The company billing lady is clueless, I gave her the bank statement with confirmation code and she still doesn't know what to do, keep repeating the same thing over and over again and suggested I may have paid the wrong payee, I triple checked I didn't. Then she couldn't be reached after 2 o'clock Friday, probably have to wait for next week.

I am just asking for second opinions here.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13440 posts
8813 upvotes
Markham
Samuro wrote: I called both the bank and Company several times, the bank said bank statements, and confirmation code should be enough. The company billing lady is clueless, I gave her the bank statement with confirmation code and she still doesn't know what to do, keep repeating the same thing over and over again and suggested I may have paid the wrong payee, I triple checked I didn't. Then she couldn't be reached after 2 o'clock Friday, probably have to wait for next week.

I am just asking for second opinions here.
Might be just ask her to pass phone to her manager. Do they have escalation procedures?

Front lines usually just do regular stuff. Like you don't pay, they call you and you pay for it. They don't know what to do beyond that and don't know how to correct either.

Escalate
Mar 28, 2008
605 posts
562 upvotes
Very suspicious, if you still have not cleared April 2022 payment, why don't they cut your meter or notify you earlier? This does not make any logical sense.