Students

I plan on taking PSYA01H3 Y and PSYA02H3 Y both at the same time (UOFT). Good idea?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2016 2:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 18, 2015
37 posts

I plan on taking PSYA01H3 Y and PSYA02H3 Y both at the same time (UOFT). Good idea?

This is over the summer, of course. I thought that "Intro Psychology: Part I" would be a pre-requisite for "Intro Psychology: Part II," but apparently it isn't when I checked on the calendar. If I do this, I can nail down two breadth requirements in one sitting.

Description for Part I: "This course provides a general overview of topics including research
techniques in psychology, evolutionary psychology, the biology of
behaviour, learning and behaviour, sensation, perception, memory and
consciousness. The most influential findings from each of these areas
will be highlighted."
Exclusion: PSY100H, PSY100Y, (PSY101H)
Breadth Requirement: Natural Sciences

Description for Part II: "This course provides a general overview of topics including language,
intelligence, development, motivation and emotion, personality, social
psychology, stress, mental disorders and treatments of mental disorders.
The most influential findings from each of these areas will be highlighted."
Exclusion: PSY100H, PSY100Y, (PSY102H)
Breadth Requirement: Social & Behavioural Sciences

Going by the descriptions alone, it sounds like both courses are completely different from each other. I just want to confirm if anyone who has ever taken this course, that Part II isn't just a continuation of Part I? Maybe it's obvious, but I don't want to make a mistake.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3580 posts
3153 upvotes
Toronto
i havent taken it but if there is no prerequisite violation, then it should be ok. I have done something similar before but forgot which courses
May 2, 2012
39 posts
5 upvotes
TORONTO
Tylenyquil wrote: This is over the summer, of course. I thought that "Intro Psychology: Part I" would be a pre-requisite for "Intro Psychology: Part II," but apparently it isn't when I checked on the calendar. If I do this, I can nail down two breadth requirements in one sitting.

Description for Part I: "This course provides a general overview of topics including research
techniques in psychology, evolutionary psychology, the biology of
behaviour, learning and behaviour, sensation, perception, memory and
consciousness. The most influential findings from each of these areas
will be highlighted."
Exclusion: PSY100H, PSY100Y, (PSY101H)
Breadth Requirement: Natural Sciences

Description for Part II: "This course provides a general overview of topics including language,
intelligence, development, motivation and emotion, personality, social
psychology, stress, mental disorders and treatments of mental disorders.
The most influential findings from each of these areas will be highlighted."
Exclusion: PSY100H, PSY100Y, (PSY102H)
Breadth Requirement: Social & Behavioural Sciences

Going by the descriptions alone, it sounds like both courses are completely different from each other. I just want to confirm if anyone who has ever taken this course, that Part II isn't just a continuation of Part I? Maybe it's obvious, but I don't want to make a mistake.
If it's for breadth requirement I think it's fine. It's most likely one course that got divided in 2 halves based on the descriptions, but it shouldn't matter if it's for satisfying the requirement.

Wanna maybe just send an email in to psych department and ask them to clarify your questions.