• Aug 12th, 2019 10:51 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5595 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto

I want to build a garage

So I want to build a garage on my property. I have about 15.25' x 29' + a bit more if I want to cut into the drive way. Drive way is about 55' x 16'. Not sure if I want to cut into the drive way mainly because the porch is on the side of the house so if I cut in any further. My front door would face the side of my garage (not sure if this is a good or bad thing (probably won't look very nice). So aiming to put it on the side of my house 15.25x29'. I will get someone to do it for me, but wanted some information.

I'm in scarborough.
My questions:
1. From what I read, garage can't be longer then 25'. Mainly because I want to do a workshop in the back and would love to go 27 or 28 or even 29ft to make it flush with the house.
2. Structure needs to be min. 45cm from property line
3. Am I able to create a concrete pad that extends beyond the garage and 'touches' the property line. Reason for this is for a snowblower to clear around the side of the building. It will be easier if I had a concrete pad. I was also thinking of extending the pad behind the garage as well as a patio/bbq or work area.
4.What would an estimated cost be for a garage and concrete pouring of this size (13'x25') garage?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5224 posts
2656 upvotes
30k and up.... easy

First step is drawing and permits
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
killoverme wrote: So I want to build a garage on my property. I have about 15.25' x 29' + a bit more if I want to cut into the drive way. Drive way is about 55' x 16'. Not sure if I want to cut into the drive way mainly because the porch is on the side of the house so if I cut in any further. My front door would face the side of my garage (not sure if this is a good or bad thing (probably won't look very nice). So aiming to put it on the side of my house 15.25x29'. I will get someone to do it for me, but wanted some information.

I'm in scarborough.
My questions:
1. From what I read, garage can't be longer then 25'. Mainly because I want to do a workshop in the back and would love to go 27 or 28 or even 29ft to make it flush with the house.
2. Structure needs to be min. 45cm from property line
3. Am I able to create a concrete pad that extends beyond the garage and 'touches' the property line. Reason for this is for a snowblower to clear around the side of the building. It will be easier if I had a concrete pad. I was also thinking of extending the pad behind the garage as well as a patio/bbq or work area.
4.What would an estimated cost be for a garage and concrete pouring of this size (13'x25') garage?
  • Doest your city have a bylaw which regulates how much of the land area you have to maintain as soft landscaping? ( concrete patrhways dont classify as soft landscaping ) ?
  • Does you city have a bylaw as to what %age of your land you can build into structures?
Other than that , I don't think there is any maximum to the length of your Garage.
----
Pay it forward.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5595 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
Supahhh wrote:
  • Doest your city have a bylaw which regulates how much of the land area you have to maintain as soft landscaping? ( concrete patrhways dont classify as soft landscaping ) ?
  • Does you city have a bylaw as to what %age of your land you can build into structures?
Other than that , I don't think there is any maximum to the length of your Garage.
It probably does. I was asking to see if anyone knew, so I didn't have to sift through all the by-laws and find it. But that might be easier knowing to look for soft landscaping. Not sure if that includes my front yard and back, because those would still have a lot of soft landscaping 125m2 for backyard and maybe 60m2 front yard.

Didn't think age of land mattered. House is about 50 years old.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
killoverme wrote: It probably does. I was asking to see if anyone knew, so I didn't have to sift through all the by-laws and find it. But that might be easier knowing to look for soft landscaping. Not sure if that includes my front yard and back, because those would still have a lot of soft landscaping 125m2 for backyard and maybe 60m2 front yard.

Didn't think age of land mattered. House is about 50 years old.
pickup the phone and call the city.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1222 upvotes
Ottawa
Supahhh wrote: pickup the phone and call the city.
Agree. I found City (Ottawa) staff to be very helpful when we wanted to rebuild our garage. We would have needed a variance to make a change in the footprint, so once that was explained, we proceeded with permit/drawings.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14932 posts
9340 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: 30k and up.... easy

Wrong and right. It's a minimum of $45k for a 16x24 which is smaller than the OP, I had a few quote in the GTA back in May. This is without levelling anything and basic material. First OP needs to review the by-law for buildings and structures, which any of the quotes OP should receive would have with them when they come to see the property. This will determine the max size of the garage. Also, 45cm is not true. It would be true perhaps for the eaves but not the structure itself. IIRC it's a little more than 2ft from the property line.

If OP is really interested, pick up the phone and call a few companies that will come in a spoon feed him all the details and questions in the OP. RFD is not going to be of much help.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5224 posts
2656 upvotes
koffey wrote: Wrong and right. It's a minimum of $45k for a 16x24 which is smaller than the OP, I had a few quote in the GTA back in May. This is without levelling anything and basic material. First OP needs to review the by-law for buildings and structures, which any of the quotes OP should receive would have with them when they come to see the property. This will determine the max size of the garage. Also, 45cm is not true. It would be true perhaps for the eaves but not the structure itself. IIRC it's a little more than 2ft from the property line.

If OP is really interested, pick up the phone and call a few companies that will come in a spoon feed him all the details and questions in the OP. RFD is not going to be of much help.
You don’t think you can build a basic garage (permits, pad, structure, roof, basic manual door) 16 x25 for 30k ? I’ve seen it
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10391 posts
5607 upvotes
Paris
koffey wrote: IIRC it's a little more than 2ft from the property line.
4 feet out here. Used to be 5 feet. And lot coverage is a HUGE factor for most. We used to be 30% could be covered by building(s), but are now at 40%. Each municipality, even within the GTA, will probably vary. I’ve never heard of a 25 foot maximum, just some weird rules around how it cant be beside the house unless its set back xx amount (unless you attach it), and a max average height of 15m from ground to peak (though 90% of people who build garages skirt this rule) and absolutely no living space above (until the inspector leaves then all the tall garages get a living space)
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14932 posts
9340 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: You don’t think you can build a basic garage (permits, pad, structure, roof, basic manual door) 16 x25 for 30k ? I’ve seen it
No from an actual company that builds in Toronto. Or at least, not that I'm aware of and I called a lot of places. The one you saw, was it kijiji or DYI?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9053 posts
764 upvotes
koffey wrote: No from an actual company that builds in Toronto. Or at least, not that I'm aware of and I called a lot of places. The one you saw, was it kijiji or DYI?
I guess with any reputable construction company with their mark up of general contracting, it can easily run for $50K+.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14932 posts
9340 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: I guess with any reputable construction company with their mark up of general contracting, it can easily run for $50K+.
Indeed. FWIW, I priced out a pre-fab unit at home hardware building center and it was about $25000 for a 18x30 and a concrete pad poured all in. You had to build the garage yourself tho... Also from my understanding when pricing out concrete, if you build a 10x15 pad and the material is big enough for a 12x20 pad, you'll be paying the same for the concrete, just a little more for the rebar/frame, ect...
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9053 posts
764 upvotes
koffey wrote: Indeed. FWIW, I priced out a pre-fab unit at home hardware building center and it was about $25000 for a 18x30 and a concrete pad poured all in. You had to build the garage yourself tho... Also from my understanding when pricing out concrete, if you build a 10x15 pad and the material is big enough for a 12x20 pad, you'll be paying the same for the concrete, just a little more for the rebar/frame, ect...
Same like some handyman told me they can build a concrete foundation for 12' x 20' for ~$10k (rough quote). On the other hand, a general contractor from a reputable company would list out all breakdown, factoring all possible risks/buffer plus his GC markup (of course), he could quote me for $50K+ for the "same" work......