[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1520 posts
855 upvotes

I want to grow some Bamboo

Where can I find seeds?

Amazon has a few listings but they have quite a few 1 star ratings

I'm looking for the kind that reaches for the stars.

I'm aware they spread like weeds, so I'm going to be planting them in pots to avoid taking over my parent's vegetable garden.
13 replies
Jan 7, 2013
754 posts
419 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
If they ever breach containment, apparently you need to burn your house down. At least according to reddit threads lol....
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2357 posts
1079 upvotes
Edmonton
Depending on where you are they may not survive the winter in pots.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6644 posts
2988 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I've passed this outfit several times but have never stopped there.

https://www.bambooworld.com/

FWIW, it is actually a type of grass. Living part is in the roots.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1612 posts
1773 upvotes
West GTA
If you want really tall bamboo, then you're likely looking for 'running' bamboo. Running (versus clumping) refers to its habit of aggressively using underground rhizomes to spread. These rhizomes are powerful and very hard to stop. If you're willing to settle for 'mid sized' bamboo, like ten to maybe fifteen feet high, then please get a clumper for maintenance and environmental reasons.

http://bamboogarden.com/barrier%20installation.htm

Those guys will give you an idea of what is involved - if you put bamboo in the ground, be prepared to work on it a lot as it really wants to spread and destroy, much more so the big running bamboo.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16801 posts
18497 upvotes
Oakville
grumble wrote: If you want really tall bamboo, then you're likely looking for 'running' bamboo. Running (versus clumping) refers to its habit of aggressively using underground rhizomes to spread. These rhizomes are powerful and very hard to stop. If you're willing to settle for 'mid sized' bamboo, like ten to maybe fifteen feet high, then please get a clumper for maintenance and environmental reasons.

Those guys will give you an idea of what is involved - if you put bamboo in the ground, be prepared to work on it a lot as it really wants to spread and destroy, much more so the big running bamboo.
I heard the spreading problem is an issue in places like australia, but not in colder places like the GTA. Maybe that was wrong? Of course, the climate is only getting warmer.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2357 posts
1079 upvotes
Edmonton
engineered wrote: I heard the spreading problem is an issue in places like australia, but not in colder places like the GTA. Maybe that was wrong? Of course, the climate is only getting warmer.
If it grows, it spreads.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1520 posts
855 upvotes
grumble wrote: If you want really tall bamboo, then you're likely looking for 'running' bamboo. Running (versus clumping) refers to its habit of aggressively using underground rhizomes to spread. These rhizomes are powerful and very hard to stop. If you're willing to settle for 'mid sized' bamboo, like ten to maybe fifteen feet high, then please get a clumper for maintenance and environmental reasons.

For sure. It's going to be growing in a recycling bin ontop of interlock. As long it doesn't somehow spread thru the air it should be fine.

walleye*guy wrote: Depending on where you are they may not survive the winter in pots.
I said pots, but they are actually recycling bins.
Hopefully that gives them enough room to grow.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2357 posts
1079 upvotes
Edmonton
PerformingAzura wrote: I said pots, but they are actually recycling bins.
Hopefully that gives them enough room to grow.
The problem is that above ground the roots freeze much sooner than if they are buried. Basically if you see subzero temps for any time, you have an issue. But try it, you never know
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13753 posts
8466 upvotes
Markham
Invasive roots have ways...of growing/popping into stuff you have no clue how they do it.

Eg. I recently had to dig out a raised bed...a pretty deep one and I thought it was insulated away from stuff. Well low and behold, there's a root growing in there about the thickness of a finger [likely from a nearby tree]. Somehow it grew into there.

Bamboo can be nightmare if it spreads to places you don't want it. If you read online you'll hear stories of ppl who are trying to get rid of it and how no matter what they do, it's still there.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 28, 2012
442 posts
405 upvotes
ONT
Shaidin wrote: If they ever breach containment, apparently you need to burn your house down. At least according to reddit threads lol....
Get a giant panda.............
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6644 posts
2988 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
mrct1944 wrote: Get a giant panda.............
Only if it's one of 4 or so species of bamboo that they'll eat....
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China