• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2021 7:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
451 upvotes

I want a Keurig that is not a Keurig

I am a coffee drinker and I like brew a cup of coffee during my work hours.

I am looking for a single serve coffee machine that behaves like a keurig but that is not a keurig.
In the morning I brew a 13oz cup of coffee and the problem with the keurigs and its pod is that they don't have the appropriate amount of coffee to fill such a cup because they are designed for 8oz cups.
So I would like to get a single serve coffee machine that its reusable "pod" can take the appropriate amount of coffee which is according to charts about 30grams.

This machine needs to have a water reservoir and a strong/bold option and of course extract the most flavour as possible.
I have looked a bit but none of the machines I have seen seem what Im looking for so perhaps others have good sugestions.
86 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
You want a single serve machine that makes 13 oz servings (so, more than a Starbucks tall) using 1 pod? Good luck with that.

You'd be better off investing in a 3-cup (12 oz) Bodum French Press. That will definitely "extract the most flavour as possible" if you pour 205F water into your freshly ground beans and let it infuse for 4 minutes before pressing down on the plunger. You're out to lunch looking for a single serve option for a mug that big. If you're not a fan of French Press then consider pourover kits, but that's not for me.

Hell, since you're drinking at work you might as well get a bigger sized press so you can brew enough for 2 mugs.

Keurig definitely does not extract anywhere near the most flavor given the water isn't hot enough and the infusion time is close to nil.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1896 posts
416 upvotes
All the pod based units make small cups of coffee. We had a tassimo and just ran through two pods for a big mug.

Now we have a super automatic espresso machine and we just use the two cup button for a mug.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
451 upvotes
Sum_guy wrote: All the pod based units make small cups of coffee. We had a tassimo and just ran through two pods for a big mug.

Now we have a super automatic espresso machine and we just use the two cup button for a mug.
What machine do you have?
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2965 upvotes
keenland
HammerJoe wrote: I am a coffee drinker and I like brew a cup of coffee during my work hours.

I am looking for a single serve coffee machine that behaves like a keurig but that is not a keurig.
In the morning I brew a 13oz cup of coffee and the problem with the keurigs and its pod is that they don't have the appropriate amount of coffee to fill such a cup because they are designed for 8oz cups.
So I would like to get a single serve coffee machine that its reusable "pod" can take the appropriate amount of coffee which is according to charts about 30grams.

This machine needs to have a water reservoir and a strong/bold option and of course extract the most flavour as possible.
I have looked a bit but none of the machines I have seen seem what Im looking for so perhaps others have good sugestions.
I dont know what you are looking for, but my K machine does a 12oz coffee..on the largest setting...I use refilable pods and never have an issue with a good cup..I drink about 5-8 cups a day...alternate between that and nesspresso
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1896 posts
416 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote: What machine do you have?
De'longhi Eletta, it does one button lattes and cappuccinos. Not cheap but for a family of four it will eventually pay for itself.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
451 upvotes
cardguy wrote: I dont know what you are looking for, but my K machine does a 12oz coffee..on the largest setting...I use refilable pods and never have an issue with a good cup..I drink about 5-8 cups a day...alternate between that and nesspresso
it does a 12oz but its already watered down. My cups hold 14oz of water so a kpod simply doesnt hold enough coffee.
Thats why I am looking for a machine that doesnt necessarily uses k-pods, but a reusable pod that can hold the appropriate amount of coffee.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
451 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: You want a single serve machine that makes 13 oz servings (so, more than a Starbucks tall) using 1 pod? Good luck with that.

You'd be better off investing in a 3-cup (12 oz) Bodum French Press. That will definitely "extract the most flavour as possible" if you pour 205F water into your freshly ground beans and let it infuse for 4 minutes before pressing down on the plunger. You're out to lunch looking for a single serve option for a mug that big. If you're not a fan of French Press then consider pourover kits, but that's not for me.

Hell, since you're drinking at work you might as well get a bigger sized press so you can brew enough for 2 mugs.

Keurig definitely does not extract anywhere near the most flavor given the water isn't hot enough and the infusion time is close to nil.
You are absolutely correct.
I am looking for the keurig convenience thou.
Fill the 'pod', press the brew button and come back 2,3, 5 minutes later and take the cup. :)
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote: You are absolutely correct.
I am looking for the keurig convenience thou.
Fill the 'pod', press the brew button and come back 2,3, 5 minutes later and take the cup. :)
Then @Sum_guy has the exact solution you wanted. No pod system will suit your needs. You need a superautomatic.

Note that I said SUPERautomatic (not just automatic, there's a huge difference). You won't have to manually dose and tamp a portafilter.
You're getting the home version of the Mastrena machines at Starbucks - they press a button and it grinds, tamps, and pulls the shot. Just pull as many lungo shots as you need to fill your mug. Won't take more than a minute or two.

Something like this:

Nov 15, 2020
839 posts
477 upvotes
Time to head to an auto-repair shop during the shut down and steal one of those giant coffee machines.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: Time to head to an auto-repair shop during the shut down and steal one of those giant coffee machines.
Like the Flavia machines at oil change places?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19156 posts
2066 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Sum_guy wrote: All the pod based units make small cups of coffee. We had a tassimo and just ran through two pods for a big mug.

I had the original Tassimo and loved it. I would drink 2-3 cups in a span of an hour. Do the math and the cost adds up really fast. Still have the machine somewhere serving as a hot water dispenser. It's hot enough for tea and other things and even instant coffee. I'm not one of those guys who stress over perfect temperature, no offense if you are. That said, the Bambino from Breville looks interesting. I like that it's pretty easy to use and instead of expensive pods, you can use store bought and it churns out a great cup of joe that rivals the shops for a fraction of the cost.

$299 currently at BestBuy. They also have a "bigger" model the Bambino Plus for another $100.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
451 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: I had the original Tassimo and loved it. I would drink 2-3 cups in a span of an hour. Do the math and the cost adds up really fast. Still have the machine somewhere serving as a hot water dispenser. It's hot enough for tea and other things and even instant coffee. I'm not one of those guys who stress over perfect temperature, no offense if you are. That said, the Bambino from Breville looks interesting. I like that it's pretty easy to use and instead of expensive pods, you can use store bought and it churns out a great cup of joe that rivals the shops for a fraction of the cost.

$299 currently at BestBuy. They also have a "bigger" model the Bambino Plus for another $100.

Thanks I will check it out.
Your experience is like mine and thats why I want to get away from the pods.
Not only they get expensive in the long run, they do not deliver enough coffee for my mug.
But I have to say that the Keurig besides the pods have great features and have all I need in a coffee machine.
I just wish they had a reusable pod that could take 30 grams of coffee for 14oz cups.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote: I just wish they had a reusable pod that could take 30 grams of coffee for 14oz cups.
You do realize Nespresso capsules (both Original and Vertuo) are reusable, but it's a "hack". Just look on YouTube for videos on how it's done. Might be more time consuming than you want to deal with.

Or you can buy a third party refillable one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Stainless-Compati ... M&dchild=1

Do note that the Breville recommended by Supercooled is not a superauto -- you will have to grind the beans and manually tamp the portafilter, which will take away the speed you're looking for (and you'll need to do that multiple times to fill your 13oz mug - it won't be a push button operation). If you want Nespresso speed but using fresh beans to fill up a 13oz mug in short order you need to consider that Jura I showed you.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1340 posts
567 upvotes
If you are willing to go through the effort of using a "reusable" pod, then why dont you just get a coffee machine? Fill the paper basket instead of the pod. Clean up should is easier than a pod as you just toss the paper filter. The only difference is that you have to measure the water and maybe the grinds.

https://idrinkcoffee.com/collections/co ... 8838197282
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1849 posts
1359 upvotes
GTA West
jandumm wrote: If you're up for a nespresso, the vertuoline has the "alto" coffees which brew 414 ml (14 oz) from a single pod.

Two coffee options for the alto size:
Alto Dolce
Alto Intenso

https://www.nespresso.com/ca/en/order/capsules/vertuo
Yeah. I just got the Vertuo Next promo for $99 as well as 50 pods for half price on the Nespresso site. It does make that 414 ml size, but as you say the selection for that size are limited. But for anyone who wants to try the Vertuo system this is the time to do so.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
451 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: So @HammerJoe what solution did you go with?
Thats the problem, I havent decided which way to go.
I have looked at different solutions and one that got me really interested was the Touch T526S coffee machine but the reviews on Amazon seem to reveal that it doesnt seem to last very long.
So my search continues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
451 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Yeah. I just got the Vertuo Next promo for $99 as well as 50 pods for half price on the Nespresso site. It does make that 414 ml size, but as you say the selection for that size are limited. But for anyone who wants to try the Vertuo system this is the time to do so.
Around my area those pods are not available and on top of that Im trying to get away from using one time pods altogether.