Shopping Discussion

I want to Minimize the amount of Cashback / Loyalty Cards / Offer Apps. Which ones should I have?

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2021 2:04 pm
[OP]
Jul 19, 2020
63 posts
25 upvotes

I want to Minimize the amount of Cashback / Loyalty Cards / Offer Apps. Which ones should I have?

It is becoming a bit stressful having so many cashback, Loyalty and offers apps, cards so forth. I am willing to take some losses now and minimize the amount as it is becoming a headache to see which ones will give me the best offer. I think PC Optimum and Rakuten.ca are 2 of the favourites by users here that I should keep and if not let me know. I am thinking at most I want to cut them down to 5 and takes the loss on other ones. So Which ones are the best to keep that will cover the most stores?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15536 posts
7017 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure if anybody can actually supply a good answer, just delete the cards and apps you don't want to deal with. There's no cost to using them or keeping the account alive.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17117 posts
14517 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
warpdrive wrote: Not sure if anybody can actually supply a good answer, just delete the cards and apps you don't want to deal with. There's no cost to using them or keeping the account alive.
This

Just remember by doing so ... you are technically leaving YOUR MONEY on the table for the Retailer to put more in THEIR POCKET

Playing the Rewards Game ... smartly
Gives you more to save / spend AS YOU CHOOSE
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5065 posts
1466 upvotes
Abbottabad
How does OP even adult if having too many loyalty cards is something that causes him/her stress.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2020
63 posts
25 upvotes
Is there a comparison site to see which would be good to compare offers. I find myself spending an hour just going through rewards sites to see which offer is best. So that hour is lost anyway. Also even on this site you see people making purchases and then posting that they are upset that they forgot to get $1 cashback ;)
Sep 3, 2019
971 posts
658 upvotes
GTA
I've found that I also spend too much time on rewards sites, so I'm scaling back now. I mostly use Rakuten, and only occasionally for all others, and usually don't even both if the amount is too low or my purchase amount is low.

CC: Use TDCB and Simplii, each to be used for specific purchases (ie Simplii is restaurants). Not a lot of other use cases outside of my 2 primary cards.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10316 posts
5431 upvotes
Markham
80/20 principle: your 20% spending category generate 80% rewards. Just focus on 20% spending and forget rest of them. Enjoy your life is more important than earn 10 more dollars rewards in my opinion.

You let money become your master , should be other way around
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15536 posts
7017 upvotes
Ottawa
Everybody's cost/benefit is different. I don't like churning credit cards, so I picked a middle ground....have the Rogers WE, gives me uniform cashback and good exchange rates, and hometrust as a low FX card, which covers my needs perfectly.

I don't check GCR much but if it's a BIG purchase, I'll check both. I don't worry about restaurant points unless it's just a phone number to register (don't carry around cards like buy 8 get 1 free). For retail stores, there really aren't any I frequent repeatedly. Rakuten is a big one, usually I get a big fat cheque at least $30 but sometimes a lot more, it's a no brainer to use it.

Basically like above, utilize the 80/20 rule and it shouldn't be a big deal.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.