• Oct 23rd, 2017 1:41 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jul 10, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes

i want simple AM/FM radio powered by Solar

Hi
I would appreciate if you can tell me where I can get good simple AM/FM radio powered by Solar. I want to put his radio outside my house to scare raccoons away.
Thank you.
10 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10890 posts
1516 upvotes
Edmonton
Eton makes them but they aren't exactly cheap. Starts around 20 to $30 for a basic one.

Why not get a dirt cheap Bluetooth speaker with a power adapter and just plug it into an outlet or an extension cord. Then you can just connect it via Bluetooth to an old phone or iPod in side the house and play it on Loop all the time.

I've heard a simple wind chime can work well against them as well. They just don't like the randomness of the noise.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 10, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention, I want to put the radio in a place where there is no power outlet. I do not have any power outlook outside my old house and I can not get a long cord from inside to outside (long story). Thank you.

Sorry do you have the link of Eaton. I will look it up. thank you

Thanks for suggesting Windchim. I will consider that instead. If you know from where to buy it, I would appreciate the hint.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4728 posts
1680 upvotes
Vancouver
Frankly, the raccoons would get used to the radio and soon enough change it to their fave hip-hop station. edit: And.... if you live on a city lot, I'm pretty sure your neighbors would not appreciate the radio playing all night.

I'd suggest trying one of these.... "The Scarecrow". A bit of coin but all it needs is a 9v battery and a hose hook-up. Works great for dogs crapping on your lawn and the mailman cutting through your flower bed. I've had one of these for several years and sometimes have to put it out when a new dog owner moves into the neighborhood.

Amazon:
Scarecrow Motion Activated Animal Repellent
by Ortho
Permalink: http://a.co/6KiKxBA

Amazon:
Orbit Motion Activated Sprinkler
by Orbit
Permalink: http://a.co/4ArQOeZ
[OP]
Banned
Jul 10, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for you reply. Yes I think the radio wont be as effective but I have heard they do not like the noise. About these motion activate animal repellents, they are really joke. i spent a lot of money buying these solar devices from Amazon and none work and they could not resist the weather, they got broken so fast, Thanks a lot for your suggestion though.. I will consider wind chime. I think it is great idea.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34095 posts
7704 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Radio doesn’t work. Sounds just like background noise to animals. No variation in the sound.

I think the motion activated scarecrow is your best option. Wind chimes are effictive itnitially but animals eventually catch on.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4728 posts
1680 upvotes
Vancouver
lezawang wrote: About these motion activate animal repellents, they are really joke.
No, the water sprinkler ones are not a joke. They really work for problem animals. I've had problems in the past with large dogs defecating on my front lawn and even returning the parcels to the owners did not cure the problem. The scarecrow did - took about a month and I could see that the dog had moved on to my neighbors front yard.

Never had much luck with capsicum pepper sprinkled on the grass or any of those "keep away scent gels". Tried one of those ultrasonic sound motion triggered devices for cats crapping in a sandy area and it did not work. But the scarecrow did.

The other thing is this.... if the solar panel/battery system on the radios is anything like the solar security lights I have around the house, then it won't play for long. I've found that the ones that stay on all the time, even those that operate at only about 10% of their full brightness, never last through the night except on a full day's exposure to sunlight in late June through August. The rest of the year there is not enough sunshine during the day and days with clouds..... it may take 2 days of exposure to get an hour of light. They also have to be aligned properly to the sun and placed where they don't get shade during daylight hours.

Last edited by NewsyL on Oct 23rd, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16273 posts
4819 upvotes
Markham
won't the radio bother your neighbours ?
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4728 posts
1680 upvotes
Vancouver
My wife sometimes wants to kill my neighbors with the loud wind chimes..... she is a light sleeper and on summer nights with the windows open and a breeze..... psycho!

Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4728 posts
1680 upvotes
Vancouver
To the OP .... the reason I viewed your thread is that I recently went through a process of testing solar charged security lights and researching solar charged/cranked radios for our earthquake/disaster kit. From testing the security lights and reading user reviews of radios I concluded it was probably better to look to other technologies. I purchased a large foldable solar panel for our GO Bag to use to recharge USB connected battery chargers & battery power banks or via usb flashlights, radios, and cell phones. I really did not think the tiny solar panel on the radios would be reliable enough and the cost of these radios was almost as much as the panel I bought but without the utility.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29820 posts
10538 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: won't the radio bother your neighbours ?
NewsyL wrote: My wife sometimes wants to kill my neighbors with the loud wind chimes..... she is a light sleeper and on summer nights with the windows open and a breeze..... psycho!
Yeah don't use anything that makes constant noise--people are just going to get annoyed with you. Sprinkler idea seems the best.