Computers & Electronics

i5-11400 built in graphics w/ 8GB RAM - enough for Fortnite? If not, what is?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2021 10:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3283 posts
992 upvotes
Belle River

i5-11400 built in graphics w/ 8GB RAM - enough for Fortnite? If not, what is?

You've seen it come up before, the Fortnite PC for my kid question :), here it is again but in a more specific fashion.

If the answer is no then I guess the next question is back to the general, how to put together a cheap PC that will handle Fortnite. AMD APU?
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33976 posts
7616 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you want to run it at the highest frame rate with no latency, you will need a dedicated graphics card. I tried with a GTX 1060 and it still lags.

I think a 1660 or 2060 is ideal

The AMD CPUs with built in graphics (G processors) are not adequate either, I tried it with a 3400G and it was not a great experience.

When you factor in the cost for a graphics card, I decided the best way to do this was to get a PS5
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3283 posts
992 upvotes
Belle River
Gee wrote: If you want to run it at the highest frame rate with no latency, you will need a dedicated graphics card. I tried with a GTX 1060 and it still lags.

I think a 1660 or 2060 is ideal

The AMD CPUs with built in graphics (G processors) are not adequate either, I tried it with a 3400G and it was not a great experience.

When you factor in the cost for a graphics card, I decided the best way to do this was to get a PS5
Unfortunately that won't be an option as this supposed to double as a school work PC. Who knows when GPU prices will get back to even semi-normal, but I might suggest waiting for Christmas and hope it improves.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33976 posts
7616 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hystavito wrote: but I might suggest waiting for Christmas and hope it improves.
I wouldn’t count on it.

I think it will be 2024 before we get back to normal. Semi normal will vary depending on the industry. Even car manufacturers are not optimistic about a speedy recovery.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3283 posts
992 upvotes
Belle River
Gee wrote: I wouldn’t count on it.

I think it will be 2024 before we get back to normal. Semi normal will vary depending on the industry. Even car manufacturers are not optimistic about a speedy recovery.
I'm not really expecting it to get better by Christmas, but then it would also give a lot more time to keep an eye on used video cards.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4100 posts
1241 upvotes
Depends on what kind of experience you want your kid to have with Fortnite. I think Fortnite has " Performance mode" now that'll run " OK" on alot of stuff. Its basically a quality setting below " Low" . During normal times, I'd suggest get a used 1050ti/1060/RX578/RX580 and you'll be fine.... but nowadays that wont fly. Even a low end gtx 1650 is over $200 and still sells out.

For pure integrated GPU route, I'd suggest go for the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G. Still not at a level of a GT1030 even... but it's better than the intel built in GPUs. Sacrifices will have to be made if you want to go pure budget route. Try it and see how it performs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3283 posts
992 upvotes
Belle River
CameraBill wrote: mouse and keyboard work on a PS4
He already has a PS4 but this will be both for gaming and school work.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1562 posts
207 upvotes
hystavito wrote: He already has a PS4 but this will be both for gaming and school work.
A PC can't touch the performance of any console at even twice the cost. The real question is not fortnite because that has crossplay but if his friends play valorant or apex. If it's discord he's after, he can run it on a lowend PC or even a phone. That said my boys run laptops with a 1060 max -q and they play all of those games just fine. They bring down the quality and only run at HD resolutions and they have alot of fun.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33976 posts
7616 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
CameraBill wrote: A PC can't touch the performance of any console at even twice the cost.
I think you have that backwards. Not specific to Fortnite, but I think PCs are superior to consoles for gaming. Just consider all the eSports teams. They are not using consoles.

Now, if you are comparing consoles to notebooks, that is a not a fair comparison. Notebooks, even gaming notebooks, will not match a properly configured desktop.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15838 posts
7392 upvotes
Ottawa
It would make sense to buy a PC with integrated graphics with the intention of adding a GPU later. Just make sure it has expandability and can handle a 3060 at least. You could play fortnite at the lower settings and have a computer to use.

as for PC vs console: A console definitely gives you more value but overall the PC will rule supreme once you get into the high end configurations.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33976 posts
7616 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hystavito wrote: He already has a PS4 but this will be both for gaming and school work.
Just get him a computer for school and he can play Fortnite on his PS4. Not sure how well it will play, but I think it will be a good experience overall.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2628 posts
1464 upvotes
ontario
warpdrive wrote: It would make sense to buy a PC with integrated graphics with the intention of adding a GPU later. Just make sure it has expandability and can handle a 3060 at least. You could play fortnite at the lower settings and have a computer to use.
I like this approach. You can wait for the GPU prices to be more reasonable but in the meantime you still have a good PC. There also seems to many new gaming desktops that were purchased purely to yank the GPUs out and resell the rest of the system which means you save $$.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1562 posts
207 upvotes
Gee wrote: I think you have that backwards. Not specific to Fortnite, but I think PCs are superior to consoles for gaming. Just consider all the eSports teams. They are not using consoles.

Now, if you are comparing consoles to notebooks, that is a not a fair comparison. Notebooks, even gaming notebooks, will not match a properly configured desktop.
A $1200 computer can't compete with a PS5. A $600 computer can't complete with a regular ps4.
To compete with a $600 PS5 you'ld probably have to pick up a video card that's more than $600.
My son's laptop just crashed and refuses to post so I ordered a new gaming laptop for him. His go-to is making music which I support so much more than the gaming. Can't get that on a PS5 or an Xbox but he also doesn't need a gaming laptop to do that.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33976 posts
7616 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
CameraBill wrote: A $1200 computer can't compete with a PS5. A $600 computer can't complete with a regular ps4.
To compete with a $600 PS5 you'ld probably have to pick up a video card that's more than $600.
I thought that was obvious.