Expired Hot Deals

[IAMS] IAMS Checkup Challenge - Free Annual Vet Visit (Up to $150) with $40 Spend on IAMS

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2021 3:29 pm
Mar 12, 2012
79 posts
45 upvotes
Thanks for posting this, great deal! Not interested in using the dog food, but I will donate to the shelter.

On the topic of dogs, anyone have a good recommendation for a better place to buy prescriptions for heartworm/ticks? I currently get my Nexgard Spectra from the vet, and its $280 for 6 pills.
Mar 19, 2016
968 posts
1096 upvotes
canada
Sejad wrote: Not prescribed food though, right? Only medication?

And who would even send the prescription directly to Costco? Your vet would probably say no because they want to make the money?
Find a different vet if they don't let you. I have had multiple vets let me shop around my prescription.
Mar 19, 2016
968 posts
1096 upvotes
canada
ChicoQuente wrote: Sorry for my ignorance but as a new puppy owner I’m curious about these comments about filling her prescriptions at a normal pharmacy. How do you know if it’s something available at a pharmacy? And do you just take your written prescription there just as you would for a human?
You have to do a little leg work and ask. It's also not all prescriptions, but say your pet needs anti anxiety meds. Most of those are the same for humans. If your pet is on anything that's continuous I'd ask around.

There are also animal pharmacy, usually for farmers and ranchers. That's usually cheaper also.
Mar 19, 2016
968 posts
1096 upvotes
canada
Snooperkitty wrote: I don’t normally do vet visits on my cats unless there’s an issue.
What would this entail? Do you think the promo would cover annual shots as well if needed?
One of my cats cost $1000 for a hairball last year Face With Rolling Eyes
It won't cover shots. The vet visit is just getting seen. Even if they covered shots. The visit alone will be close to $150 anyways.
Mar 19, 2016
968 posts
1096 upvotes
canada
Crenz wrote: Thanks for posting this, great deal! Not interested in using the dog food, but I will donate to the shelter.

On the topic of dogs, anyone have a good recommendation for a better place to buy prescriptions for heartworm/ticks? I currently get my Nexgard Spectra from the vet, and its $280 for 6 pills.
Look around and see if there are any farm/ranch pharmacies. They will carry those drugs and they'll be cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5611 posts
3791 upvotes
Crenz wrote: Thanks for posting this, great deal! Not interested in using the dog food, but I will donate to the shelter.

Not sure what your situation is. There are also subsidized Vets that only take in lower income families and offer special programs to companies that rescue/etc. Not sure all cities have these.
Mar 6, 2011
308 posts
185 upvotes
Took our cat to the vet the other day, got an examination, plus a topical anesthetic was applied, and was given a prescription to take home. Our invoice shows the cost of each of those three things separately. Any idea what the rebate will cover? Just the examination portion? I'm reading through the Terms & Conditions but it's not clear to me.
Public Mobile
Lightspeed Internet
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
2415 posts
1577 upvotes
Markham
so it will stop at $100k. My dog vet annual visit will be in Aug. i can push it earlier but the $100k can be depleted by then... hmmmm
May 25, 2008
166 posts
104 upvotes
Mississauga
For Heartworm and flea and tick I have been using Stronghold which is the same as revolution in Canada. I get it online without a prescription and it is far cheaper than they charge at the vet.

In the past, the vet could give me a prescription I could fill elsewhere but they charged a fee for that so the final cost was more than getting it filled at the vet office.

I have since changed vets.

I wish that iams line had food without chicken as my dog gets "hot spots" with chicken.
May 25, 2008
166 posts
104 upvotes
Mississauga
: qualifying
Veterinary Treatment specifically excludes any service that is not typically part of an
annual or routine well-check veterinary visit, as determined by Sponsor in its sole and
absolute discretion. Treatments that do not qualify for the program include, without
limitation, surgeries, therapy services, chiropractic care, and emergency veterinary
visits/services.

If the visit was charged as an emergency then it might not be covered by it is possible that it might be covered.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2735 posts
547 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: Sorry for my ignorance but as a new puppy owner I’m curious about these comments about filling her prescriptions at a normal pharmacy. How do you know if it’s something available at a pharmacy? And do you just take your written prescription there just as you would for a human?
Vets make money on prescriptions, so they want them filled through them. And they don't get the backend rebates a regular pharmacy chain would get which is why they are so much more expensive (I know this because I know someone sn the business). My vet would let me fill the prescription through my own pharmacy (Costco was the cheapest) but he charged me $25-30 for the prescription itself. It was still cheaper in the end.

I don't think most pharmacies sell heartworm meds, but there are some specialty animal pharmacies in Canada that do (some do mail order). I think they still need a prescription though.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Jun 26, 2017
420 posts
258 upvotes
Is it common practice for a pharmacy to charge a dispensing fee on pet prescriptions from the vet? We tried it once and this happened. Any advice greatly appreciated. TY.
Public Mobile, 12GB LTE/3mo/$120 plan
---
I am in compliance with all forum rules
May 25, 2008
166 posts
104 upvotes
Mississauga
No prescription is needed to buy heartworm medication in Canada. Last time I ordered I used https://www.petbucket.com/

You do need to be sure that the dog does not have a heartworm infection because the medication will start to kill the worms and this can be life-threatening for the dog. This can be avoided by having the dog tested for heartworms at the vet before you start the medication.
Nov 28, 2007
152 posts
129 upvotes
For people saying iams cat food is no good. Our cat lived a healthy 22 years eating iams sensitive stomach all his adult life.
Mar 2, 2011
558 posts
287 upvotes
West
So this can cover annual exam + shots up to $150?

Any recommendations on where to buy Iams? i.e. Amazon? I will probably donate it after.
Aug 22, 2012
634 posts
817 upvotes
Chubbydeer wrote: For people saying iams cat food is no good. Our cat lived a healthy 22 years eating iams sensitive stomach all his adult life.
I'm glad your little one lived a long healthy life! That is great to hear. At the same time, my mother fed our longtime family cat very cheap low brand food all of its life. It was (or seemed to be) healthy and passed last year after 20+ years as well. Would she have lived longer with a high quality premium food? Probably not, but that isn't the point. It's about minimizing risks and maximizing health, just because our cats were okay doesn't mean all would be in the same boat - unfortunately it is just anecdotal evidence

I'd definitely recommend doing research on foods and other ways to care for your current or next animal(s). My partner and I have had a new kitten for just over 1 year (2 days ago), and feel we're doing right by him to keep him happy and healthy. I've even started to brush his teeth this week! After seeing how much tartar and bad breath my mother's dogs have, and then researching this to find that over 70% of all cats by age 3 have Periodontal Disease, he's going to have the cleanest teeth in town.
Aug 16, 2018
24 posts
48 upvotes
larryperry wrote: Is it common practice for a pharmacy to charge a dispensing fee on pet prescriptions from the vet? We tried it once and this happened. Any advice greatly appreciated. TY.
Depends where, but in Québec, pharmacies don't make any profit on medication and only make profit on dispensing fee. I assume this is similar in other provinces.
You can shop around and ask around pharmacies to see which can offer the best price. My pharmacist charges a very modest markup compared to the price I would have paid at my vet's office.

My colleague's dog is on Clomipramine for separation anxiety and she pays close to a third of the price at the pharmacy vs at the vet's office.
Oct 11, 2012
162 posts
21 upvotes
KELOWNA
l42boz wrote: For Heartworm and flea and tick I have been using Stronghold which is the same as revolution in Canada. I get it online without a prescription and it is far cheaper than they charge at the vet.

In the past, the vet could give me a prescription I could fill elsewhere but they charged a fee for that so the final cost was more than getting it filled at the vet office.

I have since changed vets.

I wish that iams line had food without chicken as my dog gets "hot spots" with chicken
Hey - where do you order Stronghold from with out a prescription? We saved some money buying equivalent Evicto from Vet 6mths $120. Love to save more!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2006
1654 posts
775 upvotes
Halton
Get in quick.. the limit on the program is so small like less than a thousand people can redeem at full value