Expired Hot Deals

[IBM] Apple MacBook refurb (2015) core M 8gb RAM 256gb SSD

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2016 7:00 am
May 17, 2008
530 posts
133 upvotes
marc_t wrote: IBM selling MacBooks?! what?
IBM employees can choose Mac or PCs, and they're now running a ton of Macs as a result: last reported as 50,000 by the end of 2015. So it's not surprising to see them selling refurb Macs these days at all.

For anyone considering this model of MacBook, I can't speak to the quality of IBM refurbs but the 2015 MacBook itself is solid. Well worth it if you're looking for a modern Mac and prefer to carry an iPad-sized device.
Aug 31, 2010
840 posts
161 upvotes
Victoria
mmmken wrote: It wasn't a price error. They called and verified the order. A good number of us have shipping numbers. The price bump was probably triggered due to the sudden demand from RFD.
I didn't get the call but it seemed the pending transaction of my credit card was gone, they didn't charge me.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2512 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I always wanted to get a Macbook.
I've always been a Windows/Linux guy.
Is it worth the extra few hundred for a Mac Book?
Mar 26, 2012
976 posts
557 upvotes
For the 15" version $1460 after taxes is great price. Apple refurbs go for $550 more. However since they've changed the price for the 12", not a good deal at all. Also, you probably need to be an IBM contractor, employee, or friend of one to buy.
Jun 23, 2003
361 posts
147 upvotes
casperr wrote: Unlikely, if anything, they will probably get announced in June. I don't think Apple will release it without some hyped up coverage and nothing is planned in April
Nah, if it's just upgraded internals, that doesn't get the Apple showmanship of an "Event". Would be nice if they added more ports (even a second USB-C) but chances are they're just getting the latest Skylake M chipsets, which will better graphics and power consumption, just like the Windows machines got.

Chances are the Macbook Air and/or Macbook Pros get a more thorough redesign/size changes etc, and that announcment would come in June with an event (Developers Conference) that likely also previews the next OS for phones and computers.

Regardless, unless you need a new/current gen Macbook in the next 3 months, may as well wait for whatever announcements; it'll either be upgrades that are potentially worth your money (prices should stay close to the same, although the Fx rate that Apple is so sensitive with may change that), and if not, the current gen refurbs on the Apple Store will still be there for the same price as today.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17333 posts
4086 upvotes
Toronto
browna wrote: Nah, if it's just upgraded internals, that doesn't get the Apple showmanship of an "Event". Would be nice if they added more ports (even a second USB-C) but chances are they're just getting the latest Skylake M chipsets, which will better graphics and power consumption, just like the Windows machines got.

Chances are the Macbook Air and/or Macbook Pros get a more thorough redesign/size changes etc, and that announcment would come in June with an event (Developers Conference) that likely also previews the next OS for phones and computers.

Regardless, unless you need a new/current gen Macbook in the next 3 months, may as well wait for whatever announcements; it'll either be upgrades that are potentially worth your money (prices should stay close to the same, although the Fx rate that Apple is so sensitive with may change that), and if not, the current gen refurbs on the Apple Store will still be there for the same price as today.
This assessment is spot on. Likely new MacBooks next month and new MacBook Pros in a few months, with a thinner design.
Mar 13, 2011
3 posts
Markham
I heard this promo was really for IBM employees to order for family & friends, not for the entire public. Whoever from IBM posted this on RFD ruined it for all IBMers as they have increased the price. So I guess from now on... IBMers will prob won't get any special pricing (thx to whoever posted the link)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17333 posts
4086 upvotes
Toronto
friesguy wrote: I heard this promo was really for IBM employees to order for family & friends, not for the entire public. Whoever from IBM posted this on RFD ruined it for all IBMers as they have increased the price. So I guess from now on... IBMers will prob won't get any special pricing (thx to whoever posted the link)
We're all friends here at RFD!
Oct 27, 2012
76 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
friesguy wrote: I heard this promo was really for IBM employees to order for family & friends, not for the entire public. Whoever from IBM posted this on RFD ruined it for all IBMers as they have increased the price. So I guess from now on... IBMers will prob won't get any special pricing (thx to whoever posted the link)

Then make the sale private in an intranet website.

If anything, this is IBM fault.
Nov 5, 2005
181 posts
7 upvotes
The way things are going, there won't be many IBM'ers left in Canada - unfortunate but true,
Banned
Jan 28, 2016
81 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Really nice deal. I'd totally get one if I had the cash. :D