[IBM] Apple MacBook refurb (2015) core M 8gb RAM 256gb SSD

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2016 7:00 am
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2129 posts
331 upvotes
Canada
These are not refurbs, they are open box. They also come with 1-year Extended Warranty for free , so 15 months in total. I picked up a 12" all in was 1025 dollars.
Not surprising IBM are selling Apple Products since they form a partnership over a year ago

OPEN BOX
Product shipped and returned; may or may not have been used.
Fully tested and certified functional.
Product in excellent condition.
Battery is new.
Product covered by 7-day Money Back Guarantee and 3-month Quality Satisfaction Guarantee.
1-year Extended Warranty Option available for additional charge.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1248 posts
814 upvotes
Orleans, ON
mobifree wrote: I always wanted to get a Macbook.
I've always been a Windows/Linux guy.
Is it worth the extra few hundred for a Mac Book?
Depends what you're talking about. In terms of pure value... No.. Not even close. This is RFD after all.
Nov 23, 2004
555 posts
35 upvotes
Kamloops wrote: These are not refurbs, they are open box. They also come with 1-year Extended Warranty for free , so 15 months in total. I picked up a 12" all in was 1025 dollars.
Not surprising IBM are selling Apple Products since they form a partnership over a year ago

OPEN BOX
Product shipped and returned; may or may not have been used.
Fully tested and certified functional.
Product in excellent condition.
Battery is new.
Product covered by 7-day Money Back Guarantee and 3-month Quality Satisfaction Guarantee.
1-year Extended Warranty Option available for additional charge.
When you read the conditions on the warranty, I don't think the 1 year extended is in addition to the basic 3 month plan - so I think the total is actually 1 year and not 15 months. You can look at the terms for repair/warranty and it outlines this.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1784 posts
471 upvotes
Kevin8se7en wrote: Depends what you're talking about. In terms of pure value... No.. Not even close. This is RFD after all.
Care to explain? The values are generally close for top end laptops and the resale values for Windows laptops are virtually nothing while you could probably still get $1000 for this 15" in 2 or 3 years. So if you take in resale value, I'd say MacBooks are a much better value
Jul 4, 2006
933 posts
257 upvotes
Oakville
Id go with Macbook pro on Apple website. Refurbished retina for $1,309. Much better than the one being discussed here.

Only downside is 128gb vs 256gb, otherwise it blows this one to tge noon.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1095 posts
812 upvotes
TORONTO
Lobloco wrote: Id go with Macbook pro on Apple website. Refurbished retina for $1,309. Much better than the one being discussed here.

Totally agree. Won't buy intel core M machines as my laptop.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1248 posts
814 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Vitalogy80 wrote: Care to explain? The values are generally close for top end laptops and the resale values for Windows laptops are virtually nothing while you could probably still get $1000 for this 15" in 2 or 3 years. So if you take in resale value, I'd say MacBooks are a much better value
I'm not even going to bother arguing that PCs offer a better value than Macs. It's generally considered a fact, even by Apple fanboys.

Resale value is an entirely different thing. It's also impossible to judge if you don't know how long someone plans on keeping their item.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1784 posts
471 upvotes
Kevin8se7en wrote: I'm not even going to bother arguing that PCs offer a better value than Macs. It's generally considered a fact, even by Apple fanboys.

Resale value is an entirely different thing. It's also impossible to judge if you don't know how long someone plans on keeping their item.
I would think resale value would be very important and part of the "better value" equation. While you might be able to buy a Windows laptop for $1500 that is equivalent to a $2000 MacBook, the fact that you can resell the MacBook in 2 or 3 years for 60-70% of new value, you'd be looking at 25-30% for a Windows laptop IMHO. I don't even own a MacBook, so I wouldn't consider myself an Apple fanboy, but I think everyone knows resale value is significantly higher with Apple products.

I'm a PC guy and build myself a new PC every 4 or 5 years, and when it's time to get rid of the old one I spent $2500 on, I'm lucky to get $300 for it.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1248 posts
814 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Vitalogy80 wrote: I would think resale value would be very important and part of the "better value" equation. While you might be able to buy a Windows laptop for $1500 that is equivalent to a $2000 MacBook, the fact that you can resell the MacBook in 2 or 3 years for 60-70% of new value, you'd be looking at 25-30% for a Windows laptop IMHO. I don't even own a MacBook, so I wouldn't consider myself an Apple fanboy, but I think everyone knows resale value is significantly higher with Apple products.

I'm a PC guy and build myself a new PC every 4 or 5 years, and when it's time to get rid of the old one I spent $2500 on, I'm lucky to get $300 for it.
You're right... Under the very specific circumstance where someone wants tupgrade their $1000+ laptop in 2-3 years, then yes... The Mac offer better value.

Under virtually every other circumstance, the PC offers better value. Mac generally cost 25%+ more for the same thing.

Seeing as it was never mentioned that reselling was going to happen at all, I fail to see why it was even mentioned at all. You don't buy things to sell them.. You buy things to keep them. Real Estate being the exception.

Also, If someone buys a $1000+ laptop and sells it every 2-3 years for 50% of what they paid, I don't think that person is very value-oriented.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17629 posts
4271 upvotes
Toronto
Lobloco wrote: Id go with Macbook pro on Apple website. Refurbished retina for $1,309. Much better than the one being discussed here.

The Pros are rumoured to get a redesign this summer. Do now is the wrong time to buy a Pro unless you absolutely need it.
Sep 19, 2005
233 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary
Having used many different makes and models (Dell, HP, IBM, Lenovo, Toshiba, Sony) I am still split brain about the hardware vs os/sw. And value I measure by desired features for price as well as daily satisfaction.

Mac... the physical unibody size, form, battery life and keyboard consistently give me satisfaction. The OS and Office... Enough annoyances for work and home.

PC... it is more reverse being accustomed with Win7. Only as of recent like latest XPS 13 and Win10 can the gap of value for me is closing... Maybe surpass. Having said this initial sales can be better.

For resale I still believe that Mac will find a used buyer willing to pay the premium.
Jul 29, 2009
572 posts
419 upvotes
It takes a true fanboy to buy a $35 computer in a $1300 case. Lost their founder and Apple is starting to rot.
Jul 4, 2006
933 posts
257 upvotes
Oakville
EugW wrote: The Pros are rumoured to get a redesign this summer. Do now is the wrong time to buy a Pro unless you absolutely need it.
Point is that Apple rarely does or ever does a redesign. A processor or new interface is the usual.

The point here is comparing the Macbook to the Pro. I would not buy the MacBook at almost the same price as the Pro Retina.
Oct 29, 2013
46 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal
They called me to confirm the billing and shipping address before releasing the product. But then they asked me if I knew someone that worked at IBM and then proceeded to ask me what the employees serial number and name.
They're saying this is only for friends and family of IBM employees, not for the main public. She said she will call me back to see if she can make an exception, but I don't really recommend anyone risk lying over a few dollars in discount.
I made a fool out of myself, when she asked for the name of the employee and I didn't know what to say... I felt like bad, having to lie to get a discount. Wouldn't do it again if I had the choice.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1784 posts
471 upvotes
dealmooch wrote: It takes a true fanboy to buy a $35 computer in a $1300 case. Lost their founder and Apple is starting to rot.
I'd love to find a comparable laptop for $35...please send me a link where I can buy one. Or did you only come here to troll and provide nothing?