Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

--

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2016 4:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Bunkhouse wrote: CPU performance increases have been at a standstill over the past 3-4 years. The benefit of the newer CPUs are that they consume less power at idle and have better integrated GPU's. If you need 4+ hours of battery and better graphics then a newer laptop will do (for a much higher price). But for general browsing, email, etc, these laptops are great for the price. I`m currently using an x230 with 8gb ram plus ssd and find it hard to justify buying anything new given the overall performance difference would be barely noticeable.

T530: Core i5-3320M @ 2.60GHz 3995 Passmark score
T560: Core i5-6200U @ 2.30GHz 3903 Passmark score
T560: Core i7-6500U @ 2.50GHz 4349 Passmark score
I'm still rocking an M4400 with QX9300 (not as my main laptop).

Main driver is an M4700 with i7-3740QM (8397 Passmark).

i7-4750HQ is at 8226 Passmark, and i7-6700HQ is at 8016 Passmark. I don't even know what's going on there with Intel. They've added new instruction sets for codec and mining...but it seems that for general computing, the i7 700-series are stuck at 8000-ish Passmark.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
killer007 wrote: Is there extended battery for those t models?
If I want super long battery I should get a w series right?
Get a 9-cell: http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/itemdetail ... 925BCE90CA
and this: https://support.lenovo.com/ca/fr/documents/pd024286

W-series gives you 4 memory slots (for 32GB RAM, if the base config is a quad core i7), and Quadro.

If you're looking at the workstation series, in 2016, you should look at the P-series (P50 and P70).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
7616 posts
5697 upvotes
Ottawa
Hot, after use win 8 many years, today I factory restore my w510 to win 7 , then upgrade it to win 10 pro now ,25% progress now.
Sep 9, 2012
272 posts
190 upvotes
GTA
BayStreet wrote: Has anyone whose order went through gotten a confirmation call/email by now?
Got the confirmation email this morning.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2758 posts
1857 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
Guys, is this really a hot deal? Am about to pull the trigger on the French model and swap out the keyboard (I got a T430 English keyboard given to me for free). Are there equivalent or better laptops for this price in the market? This Core 2 Duo is making me a bit nervous or was it a typo? Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
StealthFinder wrote: Guys, is this really a hot deal? Am about to pull the trigger on the French model and swap out the keyboard (I got a T430 English keyboard given to me for free). Are there equivalent or better laptops for this price in the market? This Core 2 Duo is making me a bit nervous or was it a typo? Thanks in advance.
Contact the seller directly and ask them about the laptop specs (actual model ID, actual CPU, actual display resolution, etc.) The seller sales department (a Sales CSR) is your best source for answers. Whatever you find here in RFD is just a either a conjecture or a projection based on previous experiences (which may no longer hold).

BTW, it seems IBM does restock some of the items currently OOS. I checked out the listings early this morning and the T530 English was again in stock (OOS again at this moment).
Oct 23, 2005
684 posts
257 upvotes
i am looking at smaller screen... T420/T430... Are those good deal?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
Bunkhouse wrote: CPU performance increases have been at a standstill over the past 3-4 years. The benefit of the newer CPUs are that they consume less power at idle and have better integrated GPU's. If you need 4+ hours of battery and better graphics then a newer laptop will do (for a much higher price). But for general browsing, email, etc, these laptops are great for the price. I`m currently using an x230 with 8gb ram plus ssd and find it hard to justify buying anything new given the overall performance difference would be barely noticeable.

T530: Core i5-3320M @ 2.60GHz 3995 Passmark score
T560: Core i5-6200U @ 2.30GHz 3903 Passmark score
T560: Core i7-6500U @ 2.50GHz 4349 Passmark score
Pretty much, basically CPU performance isn't really the limiting factor these days in general day to day computing. Efficiencies in newer CPU are much better IGP's and updated hardware features like VP9/H265 decoding and much better battery life.

One thing to note is the newer chips have much lower TDP, the 3320M is a 35W TDP part, and the new CPUs are 15W TDP so basically they're delivering similar performance while using much less power.

The only other thing would be that most of these older laptops have lower resolution screens, but that's nothing to do with the CPU.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2758 posts
1857 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
Pulled the trigger, keeping the RFD motto in mind. BUY NOW. THINK LATER......
Nov 27, 2009
933 posts
279 upvotes
Why no refurbished W520 or W530? I've never seen one of those up for sale.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
t530 french back in stock and free 1 year warranty 80.00 value any advice? i have a i3 with no ssd and was gonna spend about 1200 on a new laptop how old is this? any comments i need dam english tho :( (
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
1477 posts
479 upvotes
Thanked, bought the french version which suits it's intended need perfectly.
-
Sep 9, 2012
272 posts
190 upvotes
GTA
Got the English version delivered yesterday. Laptop is in a fairly new condition and was well packed. I lucked out on battery with 250+ cycles already. And to confirm, the screen is HD (1360x768), NOT HD+ (1600x900).

Also, the English version has Fingerprint reader too, although not mentioned in the description.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
FYI

Announcement maybe interesting for anyone dissatisfied with their purchase from IBM (returning their T530 or requesting a replacement battery that is in better shape than the one received -- IBM is very accommodating to requests within the 7-day return period! -- or wanting a notebook with better resolution display, etc.) If you're still looking a cheap used business notebook, then you might want to consider those currently on sale at dellrefurbished.ca -- IMO, interesting the 14.1" E6430 Latitudes with HD+ (explicitly listed!!!!!) display and discrete graphics chip (NVS5200 1GB typically --some of them, not everyone). Workstation laptops seem to be already gone, same as the FHD 15.6" Latitudes.
We are running our traditional St Patrick's Day Sale, starting this morning and running through Sunday.

St. Patrick's Day Sale
Save 34% on all Dell Desktops, Laptops, Monitors, and Accessories.
Use coupon code 34STPAT16 at checkout. Ends Mar 20th EST. Limited Quantities available.
Sep 9, 2012
272 posts
190 upvotes
GTA
aviador wrote: FYI

Announcement maybe interesting for anyone dissatisfied with their purchase from IBM (returning their T530 or requesting a replacement battery that is in better shape than the one received -- IBM is very accommodating to requests within the 7-day return period! -- or wanting a notebook with better resolution display, etc.) If you're still looking a cheap used business notebook, then you might want to consider those currently on sale at dellrefurbished.ca -- IMO, interesting the 14.1" E6430 Latitudes with HD+ (explicitly listed!!!!!) display and discrete graphics chip (NVS5200 1GB typically --some of them, not everyone). Workstation laptops seem to be already gone, same as the FHD 15.6" Latitudes.
Thanks for the heads up. I order the E6430 with HD+ display, dedicated graphics and one year extended warrant for $472 including taxes (ON). For $70 difference, I get upgraded screen and dedicated graphics card. The only downside is that ram is 4 GB instead of 8 GB, but I was planning to upgrade ram to 16 GB anyways.

Going to send the English T530 back, unless anyone is interested in taking it off at cost from Downtown Toronto!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
BayStreet wrote: Thanks for the heads up. I order the E6430 with HD+ display, dedicated graphics and one year extended warrant for $472 including taxes (ON). For $70 difference, I get upgraded screen and dedicated graphics card. The only downside is that ram is 4 GB instead of 8 GB, but I was planning to upgrade ram to 16 GB anyways.

Going to send the English T530 back, unless anyone is interested in taking it off at cost from Downtown Toronto!
In one occasion I got the battery replaced by IBM because it was holding just 55-60% of its nominal rated charge capacity. I think you could have gotten yours replaced (too cycled, low remaining lifespan, low current capacity, etc.). I'm not sure how well the ownership transfer works with regards to the warranty. It'd be best to inquire at IBM (saying it's a gift, for example) whether there are any restrictions before selling it. BTW, test your Dell thoroughly, dellrefurbished refurbishing is a hit/miss (as reported several times by many RFD fellas).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)