• Feb 11th, 2018 10:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 29, 2008
764 posts
123 upvotes
Mississauga

IBM vs Blackberry?

I am a third year CS student and I recently received an offer for a developer internship on the IBM cloud team. It will be my first internship, I also have an offer from Blackberry. Which company would you guys choose between the two? I am hoping it would be a good stepping stone to more opportunities in the software industry. For those of you interested in getting interviews at these companies you can just apply directly.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10457 posts
4130 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It will depend on the environment that you work well in.

IBM is a long established tech company and as such will have a lot of red tape and processes/procedures to follow. It will probably have better opportunities to see different segments of the technology field as they are in a lot of different areas and may serve as a stepping stone to different areas of the industry that you aren't familiar with.

On the other hand, Blackberry is pretty much the opposite of IBM. It's currently focused on a few related lines and is doing relatively well considering how far back them came from. They probably have less red tape than IBM so there might be more freedom there. The opportunities will be fewer as they have fewer areas but the opportunities that are there will be more focused.
[OP]
Sep 29, 2008
764 posts
123 upvotes
Mississauga
craftsman wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 1:48 pm
It will depend on the environment that you work well in.

IBM is a long established tech company and as such will have a lot of red tape and processes/procedures to follow. It will probably have better opportunities to see different segments of the technology field as they are in a lot of different areas and may serve as a stepping stone to different areas of the industry that you aren't familiar with.

On the other hand, Blackberry is pretty much the opposite of IBM. It's currently focused on a few related lines and is doing relatively well considering how far back them came from. They probably have less red tape than IBM so there might be more freedom there. The opportunities will be fewer as they have fewer areas but the opportunities that are there will be more focused.
Thanks, it is only a 4 month internship so which one do you think will open more doors for me going forward and look better on the resume?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10457 posts
4130 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
motime wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 1:55 pm
Thanks, it is only a 4 month internship so which one do you think will open more doors for me going forward and look better on the resume?
IBM will look better as it's better known for what it's doing right now. Blackberry. where you might learn more, is lesser known and may have name-brand recognition issues with other companies/hiring managers as they may still think of it as a failed phone company rather than a security software company.
Dec 15, 2015
532 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
Have you spoken to any peers who have worked internships at either company?
[OP]
Sep 29, 2008
764 posts
123 upvotes
Mississauga
TheMaterial wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 2:48 pm
Have you spoken to any peers who have worked internships at either company?
Don't know anyone at Blackberry but IBM interns said the experience is highly team dependent.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30406 posts
4980 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I think it will be the opposite. IBM is more structured and you will be isolated. IBM trains you to be a cyborg

BlackBerry is more open and you will be exposed to more. BlackBerry will encourage you to give input and make a contribution

For your first internship, I would go with BlackBerry just so you can see more.
Feb 7, 2018
155 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto ON
My recommendation is, first spend at least one full year in a start-up. They will teach you how to be a soldier and do the things the proper way (you will be more of a universal soldier to be precise), because start-ups are free and usually ride the lip of the wave of the new technologies, so very important - they will teach you how to innovate and think out of the box, especially because they will be more limited on hardware resources. Plus, you will make more friends in start-ups. Then you will probably want to make some names on the resume and some more money, so you will you go to the big names. However these are more procedure oriented, as the others before me wrote - they have strict procedures and processes and move slow like whales. If you know the comic "Dilbert" - this is made to illustrate an usual IT corporate environment. They usually won't let you innovate and you won't be able to overcome a manager decision. You will want to delete most of your incoming emails and sleep on most meetings, as big name meetings are 90% corporate bullshit, which is of interest of none but the higher management usually, while a start-up meeting will be held usually with no dress-code, free pizza/coke and lots of jokes.

I still miss the time when in the first company I worked (a start-up), we had Quake III tournaments and loud music every Friday after office hours. Sure, I was in my early 20s.

However, if you plan to get married and have kids sooner, maybe better go for the big names now.

Good luck.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16503 posts
2169 upvotes
motime wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 1:20 pm
I am a third year CS student and I recently received an offer for a developer internship on the IBM cloud team. It will be my first internship, I also have an offer from Blackberry. Which company would you guys choose between the two?
IBM because they have a decent cloud offering ... you should see which particular product you're working on. No one uses Blackberry in the Enterprise anymore; it's becoming a faded memory of a once great Canadian company.
[OP]
Sep 29, 2008
764 posts
123 upvotes
Mississauga
coolspot wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 5:25 pm
IBM because they have a decent cloud offering ... you should see which particular product you're working on. No one uses Blackberry in the Enterprise anymore; it's becoming a faded memory of a once great Canadian company.
Thanks, it will be to develop small applications that work on IBM cloud for other clients. I don't know if this is the same as cloud programming but they will definitely be using modern tech stacks to create the applications instead of having to deal with legacy code. Do you know if developing small apps for other clients would be just as useful as cloud programming? I don't know how to distinguish the two.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16503 posts
2169 upvotes
motime wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 5:50 pm
Thanks, it will be to develop small applications that work on IBM cloud for other clients. I don't know if this is the same as cloud programming but they will definitely be using modern tech stacks to create the applications instead of having to deal with legacy code. Do you know if developing small apps for other clients would be just as useful as cloud programming?
You should get more clarity on your position...

Sounds like you're going to be an application developer building sample applications and not working on the cloud platform itself? That's fine for a co-op term... likely you'll be building demo apps using IBM BlueMix or Watson Cloud.
[OP]
Sep 29, 2008
764 posts
123 upvotes
Mississauga
ginoisselling wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 5:21 pm
My recommendation is, first spend at least one full year in a start-up. They will teach you how to be a soldier and do the things the proper way (you will be more of a universal soldier to be precise), because start-ups are free and usually ride the lip of the wave of the new technologies, so very important - they will teach you how to innovate and think out of the box, especially because they will be more limited on hardware resources. Plus, you will make more friends in start-ups. Then you will probably want to make some names on the resume and some more money, so you will you go to the big names. However these are more procedure oriented, as the others before me wrote - they have strict procedures and processes and move slow like whales. If you know the comic "Dilbert" - this is made to illustrate an usual IT corporate environment. They usually won't let you innovate and you won't be able to overcome a manager decision. You will want to delete most of your incoming emails and sleep on most meetings, as big name meetings are 90% corporate bullshit, which is of interest of none but the higher management usually, while a start-up meeting will be held usually with no dress-code, free pizza/coke and lots of jokes.

I still miss the time when in the first company I worked (a start-up), we had Quake III tournaments and loud music every Friday after office hours. Sure, I was in my early 20s.

However, if you plan to get married and have kids sooner, maybe better go for the big names now.

Good luck.
I see where you are coming from and a startup sounds great. Unfortunately I am a second degree student so I need to start working full-time fast. At most I will do 2 internships.
coolspot wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 9:06 pm
You should get more clarity on your position...

Sounds like you're going to be an application developer building sample applications and not working on the cloud platform itself? That's fine for a co-op term... likely you'll be building demo apps using IBM BlueMix or Watson Cloud.
Yes I think it will be mostly developing small applications that work on the cloud platform. I do want to work on more interesting projects later but I am thinking for my first internship it would help to get IBM on my resume and the work still seems somewhat interesting.
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
187 upvotes
Mars.
Both are jokes in the IT world. I work for in the FANG world.

IBM is cheap, and their culture is nothing short of BS.

BB - truth be told I don't know much about them, but would you date the last girl at a school dance? :p

Whoever says IBM has a decent cloud offering needs to put down the pipe. Seriously.
Don't be a cooch.
[OP]
Sep 29, 2008
764 posts
123 upvotes
Mississauga
superangrypenguin wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 9:48 pm
Both are jokes in the IT world. I work for in the FANG world.

BB - truth be told I don't know much about them, but would you date the last girl at a school dance? :p

Whoever says IBM has a decent cloud offering needs to put down the pipe. Seriously.
IBM does have a bad rep and it is mostly deserved, however it is a huge company and some teams do interesting work. Quite a few students I know did use IBM to get interviews and offers at better companies.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16503 posts
2169 upvotes
superangrypenguin wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 9:48 pm

IBM isn't Big Blue of the past, but they're still entrenched in many large Enterprises - they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

When it comes to cloud platforms, it's Amazon, Google, Microsoft ... then pretty much IBM. So yeah, they have a decent offering. Watson is still the Kleenex of AI even though it doesn't work too well... so yeah, for the first co-op term, IBM is fine.