• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 9:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
2 posts

Icbc

Was wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with ICBC? I was in a mva 8 months ago. I suffered whiplash and soft tissue injuries to my shoulder and back. Not looking for a windfall but what is a fair settlement.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15065 posts
2649 upvotes
Get a lawyer otherwise you will get squat.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
Dis2017 wrote: Was wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with ICBC? I was in a mva 8 months ago. I suffered whiplash and soft tissue injuries to my shoulder and back. Not looking for a windfall but what is a fair settlement.
No, nobody has any experience dealing with ICBC. They have so few claims that they hardly have any work to do. I guess they blew that billion dollars they lost last year on staff parties. :)

Seriously, there's no point in asking here. Like eldiablo said, consult with a lawyer. There are plenty of ambulance chasers who will be glad to give you a free opinion on whether or not you have a claim. But ICBC will take a hard look at what you did in the days after the accident:
- Did you go to the hospital, or to see a doctor after the accident? Did they formally diagnose whiplash or other injuries?
- Did you receive treatment? Were you prescribed medication?
- Did you take time off work or miss classes at school? Did you cancel your regularly-scheduled activities?
- Have you been attending physiotherapy sessions?

If your answers are "no", then you won't have much of a claim. ICBC won't deny that you suffered some pain, but if it didn't interfere with your life in a provable and measurable way, they likely won't award you any damages.

I once received a nasty twisting whiplash injury in an accident where the car I was a passenger in was hit by a drunk driver and destroyed. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with whiplash, but not severe enough to need a collar or anything like that. I was forced to curtail my work activities for a week or so because my neck was so stiff and painful that I couldn't turn it. ICBC offered me $3000 for pain and suffering, and made much of the fact that I hadn't taken time off work entirely or gone to physiotherapy. I mentioned that I was working on a critical multi-million-dollar proposal that had a deadline a few days after the accident, and my work had been severely impacted so it might cost my company the job. They raised the offer to $6000, and I took it. Typical awards have gone up since then.
Last edited by Exp315 on Feb 18th, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
856 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
We are all taxpayers, contributing to that bottomless pit called ICBC. And you are asking for a fair settlement?
Well from my point of view.....
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Oct 1, 2009
552 posts
237 upvotes
West coast
Not to be mean, sounds like you are looking for a windfall.

If you really want a settlement, then get one of those lawyers that advertise on tv. Tell Dell or something
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
2 posts
No,I'm not looking for a windfall. If I was I would've lawyered up. I have never made a claim against ICBC and this has happened to me before. They fixed my car and I walked away without a scratch. This time my vehicle was written off and now I have a vehicle payment again. I have a lot of pain in my neck and right shoulder. I only missed three days of work, I had just started a new job. I've always worked two jobs , one on a contract basis. I lost out on a 18 month contract because I was in too much pain to do both. I've been doing acupuncture and physiothery . Was just wondering if anybody had any dealings is all. I'm not a dishonest person , this has just been a real hard time for me.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5333 posts
3800 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
They most likely won't offer anything and if they do probably like a grand or so. Best to lawyer up and get what you deserve.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
3049 posts
2936 upvotes
Toronto, ON
doradxplorer wrote: ...If you really want a settlement, then get one of those lawyers that advertise on tv...
Do you mean Better call Saul ?
Oct 1, 2009
552 posts
237 upvotes
West coast
Then my only advice is to get a lawyer to help out. Calling them direct well result in either waiting for years for pittance or you get nothing