Automotive

ICBC Claims Rated Scale is changing on May 6, 2018. Experienced accident-free drivers get the shaft.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 4:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6295 posts
6806 upvotes
Edmonton

ICBC Claims Rated Scale is changing on May 6, 2018. Experienced accident-free drivers get the shaft.

UPDATE: We won! ICBC listened and decided to cancel the changes that were going to be implemented. So the existing CRS remains in effect. Now, go get into some free accidents!

Since ICBC is in huge debt, and they don't want to raise rates (because of politics), it looks like they are changing the claim rated scale (CRS) to basically get more money that way. They could have gotten more money from bad drivers, but instead they choose to attack good drivers. Typical ICBC.

As of May 6, 2018, if you have a -20 (or better) ranking on the CRS, and you get into an accident, you will drop 11 steps down to -9, instead of previously dropping only 3 steps.

Claim-rated scale prior to May 6, 2018
Claim-rated scale on or after May 6, 2018
Last edited by adamtheman on Dec 9th, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2003
1402 posts
145 upvotes
Seems okay to me. Accident free drivers are not effected. 1 accident still give you 43% discount. Where as before it takes 3 accidents to lose some of that discount, I don’t know if you can call that good drivers.
Apr 3, 2013
136 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
nuropa wrote: Seems okay to me. Accident free drivers are not effected. 1 accident still give you 43% discount. Where as before it takes 3 accidents to lose some of that discount, I don’t know if you can call that good drivers.
Shows how little you know, how is that fair if a -20 goes up 11 spots while a -15 only moves up 6 spots to the same level?
I might as well take my minor rear bumper scratch for a paint job, after May 6 it won't be any different with my -20.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19149 posts
3372 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Once you get in an at-fault accident you can hardly claim to be am accident-free driver. Especially two within 6 years. I don't really care about the changes, and I'm a -20. (I might be higher since I got my license at 16 and I'm 39 now, so I'm a -23 if the scale goes past 20. ) I always thought that it was odd that once I made it to -15 I could get into an accident every 3 years and keep the max discount.

Everybody at -16 and better still gets a freebie, and if they cause an accident, they get another freebie 6 years later. As long as you go 6+ years between accidents you can can keep your max discount.

It's the middle tiers (-4 to -13) where there's more effect, since those people will actually pay more for the next accident.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5797 posts
4203 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Since this place is mostly GTA based, you'll probably get flamed for even saying it's not fair to have 3 accidents and still get full discount. Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy they get screwed over so much they refuse to claim insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5076 posts
4343 upvotes
Vancouver
Time to take advantage of it before the changes are in effect.

If you need some body work done, now is the time to cash in on your freebies.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
67 posts
28 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
bomber17 wrote: Since this place is mostly GTA based, you'll probably get flamed for even saying it's not fair to have 3 accidents and still get full discount. Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy they get screwed over so much they refuse to claim insurance.
Its people in BC who get screwed with much higher rates than GTA drivers with fraction of coverage because this good drivers subsidize the poor ones in BC

Its only good for terrible drivers as they pay less due to subsidies from good drivers

ICBC rates are insanely high compared to GTA for good/low risk drivers
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12234 posts
3422 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Since this place is mostly GTA based, you'll probably get flamed for even saying it's not fair to have 3 accidents and still get full discount. Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy they get screwed over so much they refuse to claim insurance.
If you get into at fault accident every 6 years. You shouldn't be driving period, time to take the transit.

These people flying into the pole on 401 and BC people flying into a river are inexcusable. Drive to the cobdition. BC people stikl think they are a 3 season province is sorta a joke. It goes near 2 degree and your all season tires becomes a hockey punk and car slide downhill even at full braking.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12234 posts
3422 upvotes
99Percenter wrote: Its people in BC who get screwed with much higher rates than GTA drivers with fraction of coverage because this good drivers subsidize the poor ones in BC

Its only good for terrible drivers as they pay less due to subsidies from good drivers

You guys used to subsidize these rich visa students and their super cars in BC lol.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5076 posts
4343 upvotes
Vancouver
It's 7C in Vancouver today.

-16C in Toronto.

We are a 3 season city. I'll pay whatever premium is needed to stay here instead of living in an igloo.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6295 posts
6806 upvotes
Edmonton
spike1128 wrote: If you get into at fault accident every 6 years. You shouldn't be driving period, time to take the transit.
Silly reply. Not every accident claim is a result of driver error. If you live up in deer country you can't control when a deer jumps out in front of you. Go ahead and look at some videos on youtube of deer jumping in front of cars. It doesn't matter if you're a nascar driver - you won't be dodging those deer.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2723 upvotes
ON
adamtheman wrote: Silly reply. Not every accident claim is a result of driver error. If you live up in deer country you can't control when a deer jumps out in front of you. Go ahead and look at some videos on youtube of deer jumping in front of cars. It doesn't matter if you're a nascar driver - you won't be dodging those deer.
Per a recent thread (in which the deer supposedly hit his car, not the other way around! :)) this was confirmed to be a comprehensive claim, not an at-fault collision.
Jan 8, 2017
168 posts
93 upvotes
Good. ICBC has always struck me as having as being absurdly lenient to “experienced” drivers. At fault is at fault and drivers who cause accidents should pay for their cost to the insurance system sooner, not get 3 freebies. The worst driver I know has 5 at-faults in their life. Someone 60% as bad a driver as this person could still be at full discount.

I would like to see cost of insurance claim from accident also be a factor in how many steps you fall. A $3k fender bender ($1500 to both cars) shouldn’t be treated the same as a major accident. A few years at base rate for someone who causes $20k in repair costs would help recoup costs for the insurance system...
Apr 3, 2013
136 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
This move will obviously lower the likelihood of inexperienced drivers using their parents insurance to save money.
I wish "N" driving luxury vehicles gets charged 2-3X more, crazy that an econobox with 150HP saves only $300/year compared to a newer 350 HP performance car.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9590 posts
7227 upvotes
Kootenays
adamtheman wrote: Silly reply. Not every accident claim is a result of driver error. If you live up in deer country you can't control when a deer jumps out in front of you. Go ahead and look at some videos on youtube of deer jumping in front of cars. It doesn't matter if you're a nascar driver - you won't be dodging those deer.
Hitting a deer doesn't count as an at fault accident.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9590 posts
7227 upvotes
Kootenays
Spinner wrote: It's 7C in Vancouver today.

-16C in Toronto.

We are a 3 season city. I'll pay whatever premium is needed to stay here instead of living in an igloo.
The thread's about ICBC. BC is much more than the GVRD.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
3283 posts
1281 upvotes
Vancouver
Let me get this straight.
Assuming you were at a CRS level of -20 currently.

With the new rules coming in you could make a claim on any body damage you've been neglecting, pay whatever deductible you have, be bumped down to CRS -17 and that would be no different than being CRS -20 after your next insurance renewal?
...cause my dad is at CRS 20 and he's hit quite a few parking poles over the years which he didn't want to claim.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7607 posts
5002 upvotes
Victoria, BC
99Percenter wrote: Its people in BC who get screwed with much higher rates than GTA drivers with fraction of coverage because this good drivers subsidize the poor ones in BC

I don't know about Toronto, but when I moved from Victoria to Ottawa, my car insurance rates went up. At that time I had 35 years safe driving. ICBC rates weren't that bad.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2805 upvotes
That's a good question. Doesn't that count as a not-at-fault accident, in which case it won't affect your position on the claims-rated-scale?

But it is really difficult to avoid being saddled with an at-fault accident if you drive in rush-hour traffic every day. The odds catch up with you. Twice I've had ICBC try to call me at fault for an accident, once for 50%, once for 100%, both times due to totally false reports from the lying scumbags who hit my car. If I hadn't put up a successful fight both times (once in small-claims court, once with an appeal adjudicator), I would have been tagged with an at-fault accident. Now I have a dashcam - just let someone try that again! But I have to be realistic - there have been enough times where I've made a driving mistake due to momentary inattention or carelessness where there was no accident because there didn't happen to be another car there to be hit. But that chance always exists. There's no way you can say that ICBC's moves don't matter to you because you're sure you will always be claim-free.

My experience with ICBC points out one of the reasons why they are losing so much money: their adjusters are under-trained, often incompetent, often adamantly stuck on their initial position when they should be reviewing the facts impartially. With a single government insurer, there's no back-and-forth between opposed adjusters to ensure thoroughness and fairness. Management rubber-stamps their decisions when they are supposed to be reviewing them before it costs the corporation more money. The ultimate idiocy is taking a case to court when it's open-and-shut that the corporation is in the wrong - that wastes a ton of money, not only for ICBC, but for the provincial court system.
Jan 16, 2009
469 posts
242 upvotes
Vancouver
I think this is dead... page link is gone. No changes after May 6.

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/costs/Page ... costs.aspx

The provincial government has directed the British Columbia Utilities Commission (BCUC) and ICBC to not implement the changes to the Claim Rated Scale (CRS) that were announced last year, and were to take effect on May 6, 2018. Although the CRS changes previously announced will not be implemented, ICBC will continue to look at at-fault crashes within our broader rate design strategy to make rates more affordable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)