• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2019 9:18 pm
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
122 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver

ICBc Hit and run claim Process

My car was parked at crystal mall and got hit and run. One side of the car was damaged and I contacted the security at mall unfortunately there there was no witness found and camara on site. I called and filed a claim via ICBC. 3 weeks later I received an email from them and ask me to write a statement... here are the questions
Who is writing the statement? (Example: This statement is written by…. My date of birth is …… I live at ……. I am the registered owner of a …… etc.)

· Who is writing the statement

· What your claim number is

· What your current address is

· List the owners of the vehicle

· List the colour, make, and model of your vehicle

· List your license plate number

· Name who is the primary operator of the vehicle

· Confirm who has care, custody, and control of the vehicle the majority of the time it is being used

· What is the vehicle used for?

· List all drivers of this vehicle - if you live alone, please note this

· List everyone who has access to this vehicle

· List everyone who has access to your car keys

· List everywhere you keep your car keys when your vehicle is not in use

· Do you have spare keys? Where are they kept?

· Date and time your vehicle was last seen without damage

· Confirm the exact location that the vehicle was parked

· Confirm how your vehicle was parked - if parked in the street, confirm the direction you were facing (north, west, etc.), and if you were parked in a parking stall confirm if you were nose in or nose out

· Who was the last person to see the vehicle without damage?

· What was the vehicle being used for when it was last seen without damage? (ex: vehicle was last seen without damage when it was parked at home after running errands, or it was last seen without damage when it was parked at work)

· Confirm who discovered the damage

· Confirm the date and time the hit and run damage was discovered

· Confirm the damage that you discovered

· Confirm the damage you are claiming as hit and run damage is new damage

· Do you have any old damage anywhere on the vehicle or claims for damage on the vehicle

· Was there any pre-existing damage on the vehicle when you bought or leased it?

· Did you take any scene photos when you discovered the damage?

· When you discovered the damage was there any debris laying around your vehicle? If so, did you pick it up?

· Did you contact the police about this? If no, why not?

· Did you look for any witnesses who may have seen this incident?

· Did you look for any dash cameras or video surveillance cameras that may have caught this incident?

· Confirm there are no witnesses, dash cameras, or video surveillance cameras that you are aware of

· Confirm that you did not impact anything to cause this damage

· Confirm that no one you know impacted anything to cause this damage claim

Is this normal procedure as file a claim? This is my first claim with ICBC and I never thought it can be this complicated. Just wondering if anyone else has been into this situation. Any answer and suggestion are appreciated
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5897 posts
2948 upvotes
Vancouver
I last had a hit and run claim with ICBC was maybe 5 years ago. All I did was call in the claim and they asked me to bring it to an ICBC inspection centre, where they determined that the damage was consistent with a hit and run.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
122 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you have to send them any pictures? I brought my car to one of the certified auto shop from icbc and they took few pictures.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1346 posts
2147 upvotes
Canada, eh?
flyguy1104 wrote: Do you have to send them any pictures? I brought my car to one of the certified auto shop from icbc and they took few pictures.
That depends on your adjustor. I've had hit and runs where the body shop took the photos, but also another one where I had to take it to the ICBC claims centre for their own estimators to take photos. I think it depends on the damage and other factors.

Edit: The process usually goes, ICBC dial-a-claim -> adjustor -> select body shop -> body shop estimates, sends quote to ICBC -> ICBC approves -> repairs starts and you pay deductible.
Depending on the damage amount an RCMP report might have to be filed and provided to ICBC.
Last edited by secretalcoholic on Dec 17th, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5897 posts
2948 upvotes
Vancouver
flyguy1104 wrote: Do you have to send them any pictures? I brought my car to one of the certified auto shop from icbc and they took few pictures.
At the time, I didn't take any pictures (I probably should have though), just brought into into the service centre and body shop. Crappy thing was, the day I picked up my car, somebody did another hit-and-run on me again! I thought for sure ICBC would deny my second claim thinking I was defrauding them, but the damage was consistent with hit and run and they approved the second claim too.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
122 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
I am just wondering if it worth the hassle to do all these process my deduction is at $500 dollar so fixed cost probably around $700...
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1346 posts
2147 upvotes
Canada, eh?
flyguy1104 wrote: I am just wondering if it worth the hassle to do all these process my deduction is at $500 dollar so fixed cost probably around $700...
Thats up to you to decide, you have 2 years from claim date to get it repaired -- or not.