None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4582 posts
2631 upvotes
Milton, ON.

Ice - Do you buy or make at home?

Do you buy it, make it? Machine or trays? If you buy it, where?
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 28th, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added detail to title for clarity
98 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3124 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
Buy it at the Beer Store.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
21342 posts
19711 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
BOTH ... buy & make.

Buy it mostly when we need greater quantities for entertaining etc
Thanksgiving, Christmas, Summer Parties
Buy most often in the summer ... also for Picnics, Camping Trips etc

Get our bought bagged ice wherever convenient
Grocery Stores, Gas Stations, Park Stores

Make ice in trays
We don’t have a fridge with a built in ice maker
Type of tray you use can make a difference
Also how you store your ice ... cuz ice can go stale / off

Made ice goes into a large Tupperware bin with a lid
Try to keep it full
And trays refilled often

Been looking at a standalone counter top ice maker
But they seem to range from under $ 100 to over $ 300
So prob need to do some more research to figure what would be a good buy to fit my more seasonal needs
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16922 posts
11646 upvotes
Markham
Depends on how much you need. For myself I just make it. If I'm hosting a group of ppl (which I can't do right now), I'd probably buy it.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4626 upvotes
Montréal
I've ALWAYS been fascinated w this 'phenomenon', ice machines everywhere, it's like as necessary as TP lol. Home's ice tray not enough and can't plan ahead? Why are ppl literally buying bag-fulls for? You make that many cocktails?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18191 posts
1194 upvotes
🕺🏻 TOPIC HIJACK 🕺🏻

Do you trust bagged ice from those machines/beer store/convenience store in your drink? I sometimes question the cleanliness of those for ingestion purposes vs. simply surrounding your cans in a cooler with it
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2485 posts
2018 upvotes
GTA West
Both. Buy it for parties or for the coolers when we do a day trip - we have an independent grocery nearby that carries good bagged ice. Day to day for our drinks we use the ice maker in our Samsung French-door fridge which is famous for the poor quality of the ice and its propensity to jam. I would not buy that kind of fridge again.

I would actually like to buy a dedicated ice maker for the kitchen but don't really have space for one. And there seem to be a lot of bad reviews on them.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18889 posts
5821 upvotes
Toronto
I make my ice at home. I fill two ice cube trays with Brita water. How's that for something different? lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6415 posts
786 upvotes
BC
I dont use ice very often, but have 2 trays I keep in the freezer. If I'm having company I will make a couple extra and put into a big ziplock.

The only time I use ice is for a mixed drink, but normally I drink wine or beer.
That's my 2cents worth
Jun 11, 2006
541 posts
550 upvotes
I have limited freezer space and only 1 tray so I try to make and keep in a ziplock. I run out sometimes due to poor planning and kids taking ice (who don’t refill the tray). I also use the ice to “water” my orchids.

Costco had a countertop ice maker for $100 but I’m not sure if they still do. Was waiting to see if it ever went on sale. Unsure about reviews.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48685 posts
12109 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
duckdown wrote: 🕺🏻 TOPIC HIJACK 🕺🏻

Do you trust bagged ice from those machines/beer store/convenience store in your drink? I sometimes question the cleanliness of those for ingestion purposes vs. simply surrounding your cans in a cooler with it
I’m sure its fine

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSimpsons/co ... _it_ooh_a/

Last edited by UrbanPoet on Jun 26th, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2485 posts
2018 upvotes
GTA West
When my family came to Canada in 1952, we had an icebox instead of a fridge. There was a top compartment for a big block of ice and a bottom compartment for food. Ice was delivered from a truck and handled with a big set of "ice tongs". Talk about progress . . . .
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2462 posts
1544 upvotes
London
duckdown wrote: Do you trust bagged ice from those machines/beer store/convenience store in your drink? I sometimes question the cleanliness of those for ingestion purposes vs. simply surrounding your cans in a cooler with it
Are you consuming the clean ice inside, or licking the bag?
Do you make sandwiches from bagged bread, or do you have the same concern?

To answer the OP's question, I make my own, unless away from home such as for a camping cooler.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16922 posts
11646 upvotes
Markham
Dealmaker1945 wrote: When my family came to Canada in 1952, we had an icebox instead of a fridge. There was a top compartment for a big block of ice and a bottom compartment for food. Ice was delivered from a truck and handled with a big set of "ice tongs". Talk about progress . . . .
Did you get visits from Mel Lastman back in the day?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2485 posts
2018 upvotes
GTA West
gr8dlr wrote: Did you get visits from Mel Lastman back in the day?
LOL that was a rural area with no appliance stores. But when freezers first came out, there were companies selling freezer/food packages door to door, extolling the miracle and convenience of frozen food, where you got a discount on the freezer for buying a contracted amount of frozen food. As with any door to door sales, many people ended up with contract remorse and food they didn't want.

But fridges and freezers changed the way people shopped and ate.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4582 posts
2631 upvotes
Milton, ON.
I go through a lot of ice and I was thinking of getting the machine but $$$$. Bagged ice is $2.99 and that will last me a week here. I stopped making ice because I always spill the water here and there and it became annoying.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16143 posts
10962 upvotes
Toronto
My 2019 bought fridge has a built in icemaker.

Yes that makes me a BALLER.

lol

When the fridge at the cottage can't keep up to the demand, we have a separate, countertop ice maker we use.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22982 posts
4533 upvotes
Toronto
we also do both......

Make
- we make ice in those large square ice cube trays (I think for whiskey?) and we also have the individual ball ice tray to make large "ball" ice cubes......also I think for whiskey. We use our filtered water when making ice.

Buy
- for some reason, wifey likes the store bought ice with her Coke. So we buy small bags from the grocery store. I also question what type of water they use (hoping at least tap water!) but she swears it tastes better....lol!
- we also buy when we host parties. Fridge doesn't have an ice maker & I can't be bothered to pre-make our own ice.....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0