• Nov 14th, 2021 10:30 am
Tags:
None
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1702 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Recently replaced our fridge. New one has ice and water (hard to find a counter depth that doesn't apparently).

Previously kept a couple trays around and purchased if we knew we needed lots (social gathering pre covid).

For 3 of us, the fridge keeps up no problem. Likely would try to stockpile from the fridge now if I am ever allowed to have people over again
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2352 posts
1422 upvotes
London
stack1 wrote: Costco had a countertop ice maker for $100 but I’m not sure if they still do. Was waiting to see if it ever went on sale. Unsure about reviews.
In their flyer this week. $110 shipped, "while quantities last"
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20030 posts
17903 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
arisk wrote: In their flyer this week. $110 shipped, "while quantities last"
Looked thru their flyers on both Costco.ca & Flipp and didn’t see it
Link please
(Or at least tell me where you saw the flyer)
Thx
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2352 posts
1422 upvotes
London
PointsHubby wrote: Looked thru their flyers on both Costco.ca & Flipp and didn’t see it
Link please
(Or at least tell me where you saw the flyer)
Thx
It was one of the items in a Costco email sent yesterday.
https://www.costco.ca/.product.10050836 ... ummer_Solo

Koolatron Automatic Countertop Ice Maker, Small or Large Cubes

Item 1367249

Model KIM-26B

★★★★★ ★★★★★ 3.1 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.
(7)

Price
109.99$
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1007 posts
253 upvotes
Swerny wrote: My 2019 bought fridge has a built in icemaker.

Yes that makes me a BALLER.

lol

When the fridge at the cottage can't keep up to the demand, we have a separate, countertop ice maker we use.
Bingo..One of the best ideas we ever had
Nov 3, 2016
275 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I stopped making ice because I always spill the water here and there and it became annoying.
I had the same problem and no matter how careful I was or how slowly I moved, water would invariably get slopped out. I ended up buying these and I'm happy with them. They will leak if you turn the tray on its side or fling it into the freezer too quickly, but if you're careful, 99% of the time there will be no spills. Just don't overfill. I love that they stack. The cubes are smaller than ones from the open plastic trays I grew up with, but I'm fine with that.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4606 upvotes
Montréal
No one ever answered my question, why you need so much ice? For to fill your ten coolers? You have lots of house parties? What? LOL.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20030 posts
17903 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
tranquility922 wrote: I've ALWAYS been fascinated w this 'phenomenon', ice machines everywhere, it's like as necessary as TP lol. Home's ice tray not enough and can't plan ahead? Why are ppl literally buying bag-fulls for? You make that many cocktails?
tranquility922 wrote: No one ever answered my question, why you need so much ice? For to fill your ten coolers? You have lots of house parties? What? LOL.
Lol ... SURPRISING FACT

Cuz it melts !!!

And quickly.

In all seriousness ... I think I addressed this in my first reply to the OP

Yes, some of us like to entertain, esp pre-Covid (and hopefully soon again )

You have 6, 10, 20 folks over ... be it for an afternoon around the BBQ ... or a holiday like Canada Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas ... you definitely can go thru a few bags of ice.

You picnic ... camp ... or fish ... and it can take easily 2+ bags of ice a day ... per cooler.

Cooler for drinks, cooler for food, cooler for fish ... that’s a ton of ice!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
47402 posts
10651 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
PointsHubby wrote: Lol ... SURPRISING FACT

Cuz it melts !!!

And quickly.

In all seriousness ... I think I addressed this in my first reply to the OP

Yes, some of us like to entertain, esp pre-Covid (and hopefully soon again )

You have 6, 10, 20 folks over ... be it for an afternoon around the BBQ ... or a holiday like Canada Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas ... you definitely can go thru a few bags of ice.

You picnic ... camp ... or fish ... and it can take easily 2+ bags of ice a day ... per cooler.

Cooler for drinks, cooler for food, cooler for fish ... that’s a ton of ice!
For cooler ice... i plan ahead and make a big ice block. I fill up a large plastic container with water and freeze it. Big ice melts very slowly. It also cools down a large cooler easily.
It’ll stay a big block for 24 hours and only melt down about 20%
So it’ll handle an entire 12 hr day trip no problem!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4303 posts
2291 upvotes
Milton, ON.
UrbanPoet wrote: For cooler ice... i plan ahead and make a big ice block. I fill up a large plastic container with water and freeze it. Big ice melts very slowly. It also cools down a large cooler easily.
For cooler I always freeze a 2 x 1L water bottles. As it melts I also have cool / cold water.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
15371 posts
10116 upvotes
Markham
Adelie wrote: I had the same problem and no matter how careful I was or how slowly I moved, water would invariably get slopped out. I ended up buying these and I'm happy with them. They will leak if you turn the tray on its side or fling it into the freezer too quickly, but if you're careful, 99% of the time there will be no spills. Just don't overfill. I love that they stack. The cubes are smaller than ones from the open plastic trays I grew up with, but I'm fine with that.
@cRaZyRaVr There are no spill ice cube trays...bit expensive but you're buying for lifetime of savings. OXO seems to always make the best of whatever ppl need/want.

To read reviews
https://www.amazon.ca/1132080BL-Spill-C ... B007U256D2

For better pricing. [Free shipping if >$49]

https://www.living.ca/p-392536-lvda-112 ... #sku419549

There's also this OXO one but it's not NO SPILL. You'll probably get drippage with this one.
https://www.living.ca/p-392536-lvda-112 ... #sku419548
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4976 posts
3265 upvotes
LaLaLand
gr8dlr wrote: Did you get visits from Mel Lastman back in the day?
Lol, I grew up in North York and I remember Mel Lastman visiting my public school class.
tranquility922 wrote: No one ever answered my question, why you need so much ice? For to fill your ten coolers? You have lots of house parties? What? LOL.
I have a small fridge (11cu.ft.) and I have a very small ice cube tray that came with the fridge. When I (used to) have parties or lots of people over, I would buy ice. I once ran out of ice and I started putting frozen strawberries in drinks. It was a hit!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20030 posts
17903 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
UrbanPoet wrote:
For cooler ice... i plan ahead and make a big ice block. I fill up a large plastic container with water and freeze it. Big ice melts very slowly. It also cools down a large cooler easily.
cRaZyRaVr wrote: For cooler I always freeze a 2 x 1L water bottles. As it melts I also have cool / cold water.
We’ve definitely done this at times for the coolers that carry our food (vs beverages)
Works great when you care about keeping things relatively dry ... and not floating in lots of water in your cooler
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
We like using empty 4 Litre vinegar bottles filled with water cuz they freeze with relatively flat sides
So you can lay them on the bottom, and stack your groceries on top

Lol ... but ya gotta plan ahead ... so no spontaneous picnics / camping trips
And ... you gotta have freezer space if you plan a few of them

As @tranquility922 was so curious WHY folks buy bagged ice ...
I gave him our unplanned / spontaneous situation.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
47402 posts
10651 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
batcave wrote: Lol, I grew up in North York and I remember Mel Lastman visiting my public school class.

I have a small fridge (11cu.ft.) and I have a very small ice cube tray that came with the fridge. When I (used to) have parties or lots of people over, I would buy ice. I once ran out of ice and I started putting frozen strawberries in drinks. It was a hit!
Better than frozen meat balls.
The line up for the washroom would be horrific!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20030 posts
17903 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gr8dlr wrote: @cRaZyRaVr There are no spill ice cube trays...bit expensive but you're buying for lifetime of savings. OXO seems to always make the best of whatever ppl need/want.

To read reviews
https://www.amazon.ca/1132080BL-Spill-C ... B007U256D2

For better pricing. [Free shipping if >$49]

https://www.living.ca/p-392536-lvda-112 ... #sku419549

There's also this OXO one but it's not NO SPILL. You'll probably get drippage with this one.
https://www.living.ca/p-392536-lvda-112 ... #sku419548
Good post.

Ice cube trays with lids are a god send if you plan to make a lot of ice at home
Cuz they easily stack
And take up less freezer space

I also find the ice tastes better ... less stale
Cuz it’s more protected from the open environment of the freezer
And it’s auto defrost cycle

Same treason I put made cubes into a Tupperware bin with a lid
Or a Ziploc bag

CC = @Adelie
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1924 posts
781 upvotes
Elgin, ON
We use the reusable ice cubes a lot. Great for white wine and other beverages that you want to chill quickly, but not dilute.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
15371 posts
10116 upvotes
Markham
rkjredflag wrote: We use the reusable ice cubes a lot. Great for white wine and other beverages that you want to chill quickly, but not dilute.
Reusable? Before or after ppl have drank from them? JK. LOL

Do they actually sell these? I'm guessing reusable like freeze water in a ziplock or vac sealed bag.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6291 posts
2300 upvotes
Montreal
Yes to both. I'll buy bags of ice for filling coolers and for house parties or BBQs. I have a countertop ice machine, but hassle of making batches of ice, making room in the freezer, etc isn't worth the $5-10 in savings when I'm having a bunch of people over or taking my cooler for a weekend camping trip.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6291 posts
2300 upvotes
Montreal
gr8dlr wrote: Reusable? Before or after ppl have drank from them? JK. LOL

Do they actually sell these? I'm guessing reusable like freeze water in a ziplock or vac sealed bag.
They're like ice packs but the size of ice cubes. Thin plastic casing filled usually with distilled water.