• Nov 14th, 2021 10:30 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19278 posts
16934 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
rkjredflag wrote: We use the reusable ice cubes a lot. Great for white wine and other beverages that you want to chill quickly, but not dilute.
psyko514 wrote:
They're like ice packs but the size of ice cubes. Thin plastic casing filled usually with distilled water.
rkjredflag wrote: They have a nice stainless steel exterior.

https://www.amazon.ca/DILISS-Stainless- ... 239&sr=8-5
Upvotes for these ...

We also have “reusable” ice cubes stored in our freezer

The plastic ones = https://www.meijer.com/shop/en/kolorae- ... 1050803081
Are as stated, perfect for cooling down a glass of poured wine ... without dilution
And look fun / festive floating in a glass of white wine

And Stainless Steel Whiskey Rocks / Stones are awesome for Whiskey, Bourbon, etc
Those look classy in a glass if someone likes their Chosen Mash Straight ... and cooler ... but not watered down

https://www.amazon.ca/Stainless-Reusabl ... B07RMG165L
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14749 posts
9503 upvotes
Markham
Í bought a silicone round ice ball maker on AliExpress just for kicks. Think it was a dollar or two.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 8, 2015
364 posts
202 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
tranquility922 wrote: I've ALWAYS been fascinated w this 'phenomenon', ice machines everywhere, it's like as necessary as TP lol. Home's ice tray not enough and can't plan ahead? Why are ppl literally buying bag-fulls for? You make that many cocktails?
I like lots of ice in my glass of water or drink. I make in fridge and buy at convenience store for parties, bbqs. You'd be surprised how fast ice goes at a gathering.
Dec 8, 2015
364 posts
202 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
duckdown wrote: 🕺🏻 TOPIC HIJACK 🕺🏻

Do you trust bagged ice from those machines/beer store/convenience store in your drink? I sometimes question the cleanliness of those for ingestion purposes vs. simply surrounding your cans in a cooler with it
Pretty sure freezing kills bacteria. Hasn't killed me yet.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2285 posts
1298 upvotes
London
jemjem9 wrote: Pretty sure freezing kills bacteria. Hasn't killed me yet.
Sorry to tell you, but typically that's a no.

However, the previous statement that the ice is on the inside of the the bag, and the contamination is on the outside, still applies.
Dec 8, 2015
364 posts
202 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
arisk wrote: Sorry to tell you, but typically that's a no.

However, the previous statement that the ice is on the inside of the the bag, and the contamination is on the outside, still applies.
I stand corrected, good to know tho.Winking Face
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28080 posts
13669 upvotes

I'm known for being extra around here, so I'll share my newest most ridiculous purchase.

It was $750 out the door shipped to my door but you can find slightly smaller models shipped from China for cheaper, closer to $500.

I love it. I'm actually kind of bitter I spent $200 buying 2 of the countertop machines which I hated.
stack1 wrote: Costco had a countertop ice maker for $100 but I’m not sure if they still do. Was waiting to see if it ever went on sale. Unsure about reviews.
They do (or they did anyways... I can't imagine they're gonna pull it with summer coming up) but I'm not sure I'd buy one again.
I bought one. While it works, it's slow, doesn't produce much ice, the ice quality sucks, and it's a pain in the ass to clean. One batch wouldn't fill my 64oz bottle and due to how it makes ice (it's cloudy) it melts REALLY quick. Oh and it's loud.
Plus you still have to fill it. And if it dumps ice and hits the sensor, it stops because it's "full" when it's only half full.

Can't argue the price and the convenience over filling an ice cube tray but one machine is only good for like 2-3 normal sized drinks every hour.

Even then I supplemented with ice trays because it couldn't keep up. But that has the issue of your ice tasting weird. I actually bought a dedicated freezer solely for ice so I don't get the freezer taste.

Now that I have an ice machine, I have like 30lbs of good quality hard ice that's tasteless.
Even if I fill a cooler, it'll refill fully in a couple hours. It makes enough ice every 8 minutes to satisfy any drink.

And yes, I fully understand it's overkill for basically everyone.
I don't regret buying it for one minute though.
tranquility922 wrote: No one ever answered my question, why you need so much ice? For to fill your ten coolers? You have lots of house parties? What? LOL.
I drink a lot of water with a lot of ice.
Even outside of that, having ice is great when you have to chill something like a soup or ice cream base.
Parties too.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2292 posts
1858 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Do you buy it, make it? Machine or trays? If you buy it, where?
We used to make using ice cube trays but I hated how far in advance I had to make it. And would buy it before big parties. Now, we have a stand alone and I am really happy with with it. We go through huge phases of ice and then none. Now, I never have to buy ice even when I need a lot. I just use my stand alone and throw it in freezer as it’s made.
PointsHubby wrote: BOTH ... buy & make.

Been looking at a standalone counter top ice maker
But they seem to range from under $ 100 to over $ 300
So prob need to do some more research to figure what would be a good buy to fit my more seasonal needs
We got the danby from airmiles. I only got it because I needed to use up my points. I am really happy we did. Costco has the same one on line (I don’t like the Kobo late on). There is also one in store for about $100. There have been some really good reviews. Wehen I have a big party we just keep making in and it in large ziplock o bags and keep in running during the pastry.
tranquility922 wrote: I've ALWAYS been fascinated w this 'phenomenon', ice machines everywhere, it's like as necessary as TP lol. Home's ice tray not enough and can't plan ahead? Why are ppl literally buying bag-fulls for? You make that many cocktails?
We use big bags of ice seasonally. For parties, I used to buy big bags. On a more regular usage, we make a couple large ziplock bags at a time (so,etkmes just one if just freezer is fiull). This will last us a couple of days. We make a lot of ice coffee, tea, and bubble tea, so use a lot of ice. We tend to got through 12 drink in a couple of days which is a lot of ice. I love my ice machine because if I decided to make bubble tea, I can turn on my ice machine, and then while my boba is cooking, the ice will all be ready.
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I go through a lot of ice and I was thinking of getting the machine but $$$$. Bagged ice is $2.99 and that will last me a week here. I stopped making ice because I always spill the water here and there and it became annoying.
This is why I like my ice machine. I never have enough space to flatly output my trays. However, on e trick if you just is to put a baking sheet in the freezer and then your ice cube trays.
cRaZyRaVr wrote: For cooler I always freeze a 2 x 1L water bottles. As it melts I also have cool / cold water.
death_hawk wrote: Image

I'm known for being extra around here, so I'll share my newest most ridiculous purchase.

It was $750 out the door shipped to my door but you can find slightly smaller models shipped from China for cheaper, closer to $500.

I love it. I'm actually kind of bitter I spent $200 buying 2 of the countertop machines which I hated.

They do (or they did anyways... I can't imagine they're gonna pull it with summer coming up) but I'm not sure I'd buy one again.
I bought one. While it works, it's slow, doesn't produce much ice, the ice quality sucks, and it's a pain in the ass to clean. One batch wouldn't fill my 64oz bottle and due to how it makes ice (it's cloudy) it melts REALLY quick. Oh and it's loud.
Plus you still have to fill it. And if it dumps ice and hits the sensor, it stops because it's "full" when it's only half full.

Can't argue the price and the convenience over filling an ice cube tray but one machine is only good for like 2-3 normal sized drinks every hour.

Even then I supplemented with ice trays because it couldn't keep up. But that has the issue of your ice tasting weird. I actually bought a dedicated freezer solely for ice so I don't get the freezer taste.

Now that I have an ice machine, I have like 30lbs of good quality hard ice that's tasteless.
Even if I fill a cooler, it'll refill fully in a couple hours. It makes enough ice every 8 minutes to satisfy any drink.

And yes, I fully understand it's overkill for basically everyone.
I don't regret buying it for one minute though.

I drink a lot of water with a lot of ice.
Even outside of that, having ice is great when you have to chill something like a soup or ice cream base.
Parties too.
Wow that’s a crazy big purchase. We don’t drink that much but I appreciate it. I find our stand alone makes clear ice, it’s about a pound and hour, which is enough for our family of four.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28080 posts
13669 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: Wow that’s a crazy big purchase. We don’t drink that much but I appreciate it. I find our stand alone makes clear ice, it’s about a pound and hour, which is enough for our family of four.
I did say I was extra....

Which model do you have?
I know there's some clear ice models, but most of the countertop ones have the "fingers" instead of the "waterfall".
The waterfalls are far more expensive for some reason.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2292 posts
1858 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
death_hawk wrote: I did say I was extra....

Which model do you have?
I know there's some clear ice models, but most of the countertop ones have the "fingers" instead of the "waterfall".
The waterfalls are far more expensive for some reason.
I appreciate the extra. I am extra in many ways, so I get it. I just have no space.

I just have a dandby. It has the fingers but the cubes seem fine for what we use. I only got it because I had to use ip airmiles years ago. I don’t know if I would have enough tone before.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22750 posts
8859 upvotes
Socially Distanced
This thread is interesting, i don't even use ice, store bought or homemade.
Hearing about everyone else's perspectives is fascinating.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28080 posts
13669 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: It has the fingers but the cubes seem fine for what we use.
If you're not an ice snob (yes we exist) then yeah you probably wouldn't notice or even care.

And to be fair, I don't have room either. That's why it's in my unused bathtub....
Jan 21, 2013
769 posts
216 upvotes
in a bubble
i got the one from SDM..used my points, ended up costing around $50- its bullet style ice & melts alot faster than cubes. its noisy & SLOW
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2292 posts
1858 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
death_hawk wrote: If you're not an ice snob (yes we exist) then yeah you probably wouldn't notice or even care.

And to be fair, I don't have room either. That's why it's in my unused bathtub....
LOL.... I don’t think I have met an ice snob. I have had weird freezer burned ice, but in my drinks I don’t really care. I use my bathtub.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19278 posts
16934 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Great discussion here on Ice Makers
We’ve been looking @ Costco ... they carry 3 countertop models currently
A Koolatron and a Frigidaire, both @ $ 109.99
As well as a Danby @ $ 157.99
https://www.costco.ca/danby-stainless-s ... 50509.html

Was leaning towards the Frigidaire
But having read the posts here ... I am now reconsidering the Danby

So ... @Macx2mommy could you please check this out and tell me if your model is similar

Thx
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19278 posts
16934 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
death_hawk wrote: If you're not an ice snob (yes we exist) then yeah you probably wouldn't notice or even care.

Very aware of ice snobs ... we are somewhere in the middle
Definitely prefer fresh made ice cubes
But can also live with store bought bags

Personally, I think your ice machine is awesome
Def would be on my “if I win the Lotto ... and build my Dream House list “
As amazing entertaining areas is on my wish list ... and everything that goes with them

So ya, I see the attraction
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28080 posts
13669 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Def would be on my “if I win the Lotto ... and build my Dream House list “
While $750 is ridiculous for most, $430 might be more attractive to some.
That's like the price of 3 countertops which puts it in the realm of not a lottery win but a "maybe if I save for another 2 months" or I just love ice.

I've never shopped on Wayfair before but there's a machine I saw on there the day after I bought mine that is plumbed for sure and maybe takes a 5 gallon water bottle.
It's a much smaller capacity, but still far larger than these countertops.

https://www.wayfair.ca/appliances/pdp/z ... z1153.html

There's larger than countertop models with have the "good" chiller plate (over the fingers) but they're not much cheaper at $350.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2292 posts
1858 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
PointsHubby wrote: Great discussion here on Ice Makers
We’ve been looking @ Costco ... they carry 3 countertop models currently
A Koolatron and a Frigidaire, both @ $ 109.99
As well as a Danby @ $ 157.99

Was leaning towards the Frigidaire
But having read the posts here ... I am now reconsidering the Danby

So ... @Macx2mommy could you please check this out and tell me if your model is similar

Thx
The Costco version looks similar. to mine. Mine is not stainless steel, but I am happy in terms of how it’s has worked. I have a few epeople who I know that bought the fridgeridaire and they said they are also very happy with theirs. The good thing with Costco is you can always return it if it not what you expect.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5351 posts
2172 upvotes
Durham
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Do you buy it, make it? Machine or trays? If you buy it, where?
Make at home.

Kitchen Fridge:
- Use two 12 cube trays in the bottom freezer.

Basement Chest Freezer:
- Larger "blocks or cubes"
- Plastic tubs (ie from ice cream or the flat black takeout trays)
- Freeze it ... pop it out in a bag. Then do another one. Keep them in the freezer until u need it for your cooler.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Jul 23, 2011
599 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Anyone buy a good nugget ice machine? Like sonic ice?
Costco had one last fall for about $380 and regret not pulling the trigger.