• Nov 14th, 2021 10:30 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9234 posts
2250 upvotes
Vancouver
I have two of these in my freezer that I only use boiled water in for ice clarity for drinking with cheap whiskey or cock tails then the standard ice tray for quicker cubes. Pack some zip lock bags

When I’m planning to pull put the cooler I get stainless steel bowls and dump water in there. Key is not to go too crazy on size as it takes a long time to freeze throughly. Better to do maybe an inch. Or let it freeze then toss more water on. Metal mixer bowls (dollarama ones work well) and just take it out a bit of water on the bowl and it pops right out. They come out in this fun kinda boob looking shape.

I paid extra for oxo I know I know pricey but it’s not like I’m going to loose them or break them so I’d rather take the oxo brand

OXO 11154200G Large Ice Cube Tray, Blue/White https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01434TXPQ/ref ... 1k3WFc1rbu
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10047 posts
1234 upvotes
Mississauga
My LG studio fridge can make whisky spheres
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 37-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2290 posts
1847 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
PointsHubby wrote: Great discussion here on Ice Makers
We’ve been looking @ Costco ... they carry 3 countertop models currently
A Koolatron and a Frigidaire, both @ $ 109.99
As well as a Danby @ $ 157.99
https://www.costco.ca/danby-stainless-s ... 50509.html

Was leaning towards the Frigidaire
But having read the posts here ... I am now reconsidering the Danby

So ... @Macx2mommy could you please check this out and tell me if your model is similar
https://www.costco.ca/danby-stainless-s ... 50509.html

Thx
Someone posted the model in the Costco store in my city. So far there have been really good reviews from the people them have been buying this one.

I added the pic so you can see the item number if you wanted to call your Costco.
Images
  • EBB4F35D-3818-4518-BC98-D8BCD3D28241.jpeg
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19242 posts
16906 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Macx2mommy wrote: Someone posted the model in the Costco store in my city. So far there have been really good reviews from the people them have been buying this one.

I added the pic so you can see the item number if you wanted to call your Costco.
Awesome
Thx

Yup that’s the one we have been considering

Although this thread has seen us doing more research now
And contemplating moving up a notch to the $ 150 to $ 250 range

Lol, RFD second guessing ourselves
Information overload

Definitely the upside to Costco is the store return policy / warranty
So May just pull the trigger and go Costco

Sooo happy to hear you like your Danby
Always reassuring when you hear positives from a name you know
Versus a bunch of do not know from Adam names on an internet Review website
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4008 posts
1625 upvotes
Scarborough
Macx2mommy wrote: Someone posted the model in the Costco store in my city. So far there have been really good reviews from the people them have been buying this one.

PointsHubby wrote: Awesome
Thx

Yup that’s the one we have been considering

Although this thread has seen us doing more research now
And contemplating moving up a notch to the $ 150 to $ 250 range

Lol, RFD second guessing ourselves
Information overload

Definitely the upside to Costco is the store return policy / warranty
So May just pull the trigger and go Costco

Sooo happy to hear you like your Danby
Always reassuring when you hear positives from a name you know
Versus a bunch of do not know from Adam names on an internet Review website

That's the one I bought, it makes ice really fast and efficient. I try to fill about 2-3 large ziplock freezer bags worth of ice from the machine and then I have ice for a while. Once the machine gets going with the cold it yields more ice faster, it's compact and we set it in a corner and let it do it's thing.
Mar 16, 2007
342 posts
209 upvotes
GTA
The ice from our LG fridge ice maker is always cloudy with white powder floating in the water after it melts. I changed the filter and ut does not help. Is it because of the hard water? I am in Markham.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28073 posts
13651 upvotes
XxXSnake23XxX wrote: My LG studio fridge can make whisky spheres
I was actually debating on seeing if I can track down the mechanism and wiring it into something else because while this is a neat concept I don't want to pay $3000 for a fridge and the production cycle is something like 2 per 24 hour.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28073 posts
13651 upvotes
I recently picked up one of these for a friend for their birthday.
It's okay. I mean... it's better than nothing but it stores a pretty small volume of ice. A full basket basically fills a 40oz Thermoflask.
The ice is also cloudy so it melts extremely quick. No water hookup so you'll have to refill by pitcher.

It's an okay entry level machine. You can't argue the price but you also can't argue the lack of performance.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13748 posts
2452 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I do not buy ice and there has not been ice at home for over a decade..
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19500 posts
2204 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
UrbanPoet wrote: For cooler ice... i plan ahead and make a big ice block. I fill up a large plastic container with water and freeze it. Big ice melts very slowly. It also cools down a large cooler easily.
It’ll stay a big block for 24 hours and only melt down about 20%
So it’ll handle an entire 12 hr day trip no problem!
How you freeze a big block of ice? I have a standing freezer but there is no way I can freeze one in there. It would be pimp if someone chimes in that they have an industrial walk in freezer refrigerator like dark hawk or whatever their name is.

That’s my goal in life to have a place big enough to have a walk in freezer. I could clean out those dollar days sales and be set for years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4239 posts
2188 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Supercooled wrote: How you freeze a big block of ice? I have a standing freezer but there is no way I can freeze one in there. It would be pimp if someone chimes in that they have an industrial walk in freezer refrigerator like dark hawk or whatever their name is.

That’s my goal in life to have a place big enough to have a walk in freezer. I could clean out those dollar days sales and be set for years.
Fill up an empty 2L coke bottle with water, freeze. Done.
Jul 23, 2011
599 posts
390 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Fill up an empty 2L coke bottle with water, freeze. Done.
Yup or a 4l jug of water, keep your cooler cool and as it's melting drinking water.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28073 posts
13651 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: How you freeze a big block of ice? I have a standing freezer but there is no way I can freeze one in there. It would be pimp if someone chimes in that they have an industrial walk in freezer refrigerator like dark hawk or whatever their name is.

While I also aspire to have a walkin freezer at home, even a $150 chest freezer could do blocks.
Toss a bucket/bottle/whatever in there with some water and come back in a week.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5099 posts
7424 upvotes
Ontario
batcave wrote: Lol, I grew up in North York and I remember Mel Lastman visiting my public school class.

I have a small fridge (11cu.ft.) and I have a very small ice cube tray that came with the fridge. When I (used to) have parties or lots of people over, I would buy ice. I once ran out of ice and I started putting frozen strawberries in drinks. It was a hit!
You were doing the infused water trend well before the pitcher of infused water became a thing!
2021-Be more colourful and generous.😎
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19242 posts
16906 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

Kaida9 wrote: Yup or a 4l jug of water, keep your cooler cool and as it's melting drinking water.
4 Litre Water Jugs … or an empty Vinegar Jug
Are both excellent cuz of their shape (flatter sides)
They fit in a cooler, and you can either put them on the bottom, and stack your food on top, or stand upright in the middle (like a divider) or against one end or wall
And if it’s a camping trip
As the ice melts
It also serves as cold drinking water / a water source
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
47074 posts
10242 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

Exactly.

I like to use a big tupperware or black take out container.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19500 posts
2204 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
death_hawk wrote: While I also aspire to have a walkin freezer at home, even a $150 chest freezer could do blocks.
Toss a bucket/bottle/whatever in there with some water and come back in a week.
PointsHubby wrote: 4 Litre Water Jugs … or an empty Vinegar Jug
Are both excellent cuz of their shape (flatter sides)
They fit in a cooler, and you can either put them on the bottom, and stack your food on top, or stand upright in the middle (like a divider) or against one end or wall
And if it’s a camping trip
As the ice melts
It also serves as cold drinking water / a water source
Thinking on a totally different scale. Like blocks the size of a man where rich people throw parties and have someone chisel an art price out of then and then break prices off for then bubbly. Think national lampoon where our protagonist comes crashing through the party in a gaudy Hawaiian shirt with his nose caked in sunscreen and ducky life preserver where the rich thumb their nose at the lower class…. That sort of block of ice. If I had a million dollar I could pull that off.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19242 posts
16906 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Supercooled wrote: Thinking on a totally different scale. Like blocks the size of a man where rich people throw parties and have someone chisel an art price out of then and then break prices off for then bubbly. Think national lampoon where our protagonist comes crashing through the party in a gaudy Hawaiian shirt with his nose caked in sunscreen and ducky life preserver where the rich thumb their nose at the lower class…. That sort of block of ice. If I had a million dollar I could pull that off.
Lol … oh … that size
A whole other “ice cube” realm

No idea

And what the heck kind of container would you freeze such a cube in ?

I have visions of these things … that are usually seen in Agriculture
https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/CONT ... /VESIBC330

Then how the heck do you remove the giant ice cube ?

But hey if you have oodles of money … like say another famous Ice Cube
Anything is probably possible
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4239 posts
2188 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Supercooled wrote: Thinking on a totally different scale. Like blocks the size of a man where rich people throw parties and have someone chisel an art price out of then and then break prices off for then bubbly. Think national lampoon where our protagonist comes crashing through the party in a gaudy Hawaiian shirt with his nose caked in sunscreen and ducky life preserver where the rich thumb their nose at the lower class…. That sort of block of ice. If I had a million dollar I could pull that off.
Rich people money? Easy.
Hire a flight north, have ppl chainsaw the size you need, fly it back home, have an artist chisel things. Money well spent :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9234 posts
2250 upvotes
Vancouver
There are companies that will deliver large blocks of ice for you. Some of my friends and I threw a New Year’s Eve party on their townhouse roof we got a giant block of ice. Got a big long drill adapter from Home Depot and made a long diagonal hole and made a “shot luge” just pour down alcohol and have someone on the other side catch it l. This of course before covid.

It was a major hit and clean was a cinch. It just melted. These days might need to consider some sort of straw system or mouth piece but yeah a lot of fun. Can’t remember how much the ice block cost but a lot of fun.
Autocorrect sucks