• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2021 6:23 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
4197 posts
2162 upvotes
For years and years the only alcohol I drank was beer and wine which never required ice in these specific drinks. This summer I just started experimenting with ciders and vodka sodas which are better when they are ice cold. This whole month, I've been buying and making ice at home like a madman. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9195 posts
2207 upvotes
Vancouver
Mr_Fanta wrote: For years and years the only alcohol I drank was beer and wine which never required ice in these specific drinks. This summer I just started experimenting with ciders and vodka sodas which are better when they are ice cold. This whole month, I've been buying and making ice at home like a madman. LOL
Try freezing your glasses on top of that!
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28033 posts
13623 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Thinking on a totally different scale. Like blocks the size of a man where rich people throw parties and have someone chisel an art price out of then and then break prices off for then bubbly. Think national lampoon where our protagonist comes crashing through the party in a gaudy Hawaiian shirt with his nose caked in sunscreen and ducky life preserver where the rich thumb their nose at the lower class…. That sort of block of ice. If I had a million dollar I could pull that off.
I mean... sculptures are surprisingly cheap. Premade ones are only a few hundred bucks for a smaller one. Even larger ones are under a grand.
Obviously not something someone's gonna buy for a regular party but it's not *that* wacky depending on what your party is about.

A block of ice would be a good bit cheaper.
Also something you can't really make yourself. I mean... with a large enough container and a freezer? Sure. But those blocks are crystal clear which require you to freeze ice in a special way.
You can replicate it at home by putting a styrofoam cooler in your freezer full of water. The directional freezing makes clear ice. To do this on a "man" sized scale would involve a crane since even a 5ft tall block of ice would weigh hundreds of pounds.
You can buy a special freezer that'll make 10cuft blocks for about $7000USD.
philipshernandez wrote: I usually make the ice cubes with the help of my freezer. I'm a small restaurant owner so the need for ice cubes is plenty at a time. Both for cool drinks and storage. I have [removed] recently bought a freezer with a lot more capacity than the earlier one. Now I can fill almost 5 ice cube trays at a time.
Wait wait wait. You have a restaurant and are making ice by hand? In 5 trays?
I make more ice than that for home use and I can't even keep up. That's why I bought a commercial ice machine.
Even being the smallest counter service restaurant ever I couldn't imagine making ice by hand.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 28th, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote/spam link removed
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 6, 2012
246 posts
72 upvotes
I've used silicon ice cube trays for years. They make very cubical ice cubes, but absorb freezer smells after some time, which make their way into the ice (I can't detect the funk while the water is frozen, but put the ice in a glass and let it reach room temp., and it's very noriceable). Burying the trays in crushed clay (unscented cat litter) removes the odours for another few years.

Recently found a (Oxo brand, iirc) silicon egg poacher which has a lid and produces hemispherical ice pieces, which last a long time.

Then I added a 2" deep stainless steel food tray/dish with plastic lid, in my pursuit of easy-to-make-at-home clear ice. It works okay, getting about 50% solid, clear ice. Sawing it (with my bread knife) into cubes is fun, though.

Currently looking for a repairable, plumbable, countertop clear ice maker under $400. Have found one that gets 4 out of 5 of these - repairability is simply not available in small appliances targetted for the home.
Apr 7, 2012
52 posts
70 upvotes
We don't use a lot of ice here at our home, except in the summertime. I have a few plastic ice cube trays that I pull out when the weather starts getting warmer and I make enough ice to fill three large ziploc bags. When two of the bags are empty, we make more ice, and keep that going till the weather cools down. Then I wash and put away the trays till we need them again.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
21139 posts
1330 upvotes
Shanghai, China
I've never had the need to buy ice. My fridge can dispense ice with the push of a button. It's enough even during the heatwave last week.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28033 posts
13623 upvotes
AdamInToronto wrote: Currently looking for a repairable, plumbable, countertop clear ice maker under $400. Have found one that gets 4 out of 5 of these - repairability is simply not available in small appliances targetted for the home.
Wayfair has one for $429.

No comment on reparability though.
Also it's not really countertop.

There is a countertop model for $329 but it's not plumbed. It takes 5 gallon bottles.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28033 posts
13623 upvotes
OH MY GOD.
My commercial ice machine isn't nearly as big as I thought. I still run out of ice.