Deal Link:
Savings:
30-50
Expiry:
August 31, 2020
Retailer:
ICEBREAKER
https://www.icebreaker.com/en-ca/home

Icebreaker is doing one of their end of season sales. Started last week but didn't see a thread on here.

For those that know what they are about and like their products it's a good deal. For those that think it's too expensive for what you get, you'll post in here about it regardless what I say.
15 replies
Feb 1, 2017
484 posts
824 upvotes
A bit expensive, but I was surprised to find that basically everything actually has merino wool in it which at least tells you its value. I saw another clothing post a few weeks back that had high priced 100+ t-shirts with no such benefit. No cotton t-shirt with a graphic on the front is worth $50+, but merino wool has legit benefits and uses. I think in general you might want a higher percentage of wool then some of the shirts have, but still. The jackets look like a pretty good value though.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3100 posts
1774 upvotes
Kingston
Icebreaker stuff seems to be the most regularly on sale clothing I’ve seen. I feel like these “sales” are more like the regular price to be honest and this is the deliberate business model.
Mar 3, 2020
233 posts
437 upvotes
Thanks OP. In for a couple pairs of hiking socks and a full 200 Merino baselayer. Around the same price I found the stuff on The Last Hunt, but actually is stock.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2009
1067 posts
2121 upvotes
Mys73ri0 wrote:

For those that think it's too expensive for what you get, you'll post in here about it regardless what I say.
So true :(
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
2403 posts
1979 upvotes
Montreal
It's 30-40% off.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7382 posts
8069 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Once I switched to their socks I never went back.

Only downside is that it's like $10/pair Face With Tears Of Joy
Jun 9, 2019
572 posts
712 upvotes
JC69 wrote: Icebreaker stuff seems to be the most regularly on sale clothing I’ve seen. I feel like these “sales” are more like the regular price to be honest and this is the deliberate business model.
20-30, even 40%, sales are not unusual. 50% is nearing the very end of the season sales and some styles will go out of stock permanently until the next season. 60% is the final end of season discount and this goes down lower than The Last Hunt. TLH can be slightly lower with their 15% off $150/200 carts, on one occasion it's been 20-25% off, but that's rare and sizes/styles are very limited.

So wait for 50-55% off sale from icebreaker, sign up for their email 10% off promo code, and that's the best deal. You can wait for 60% off but it's a risk.

Their stuff is mostly merino wool. The blends happen to give more durability, from my experience. Not to cut costs (eg. pure merino wool running socks will wear out tremendously quickly if you're putting in a lot of running).
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3100 posts
1774 upvotes
Kingston
Oomani wrote: 20-30, even 40%, sales are not unusual. 50% is nearing the very end of the season sales and some styles will go out of stock permanently until the next season. 60% is the final end of season discount and this goes down lower than The Last Hunt. TLH can be slightly lower with their 15% off $150/200 carts, on one occasion it's been 20-25% off, but that's rare and sizes/styles are very limited.

So wait for 50-55% off sale from icebreaker, sign up for their email 10% off promo code, and that's the best deal. You can wait for 60% off but it's a risk.

Their stuff is mostly merino wool. The blends happen to give more durability, from my experience. Not to cut costs (eg. pure merino wool running socks will wear out tremendously quickly if you're putting in a lot of running).
I buy their socks on deep discount. I had a very expensive sweater from this company but the care instructions were a bit nuts and eventually it went out of shape. I’m never buying another.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8953 posts
1437 upvotes
Hands up, who thought this was the Ice Breakers gum :)
Feb 4, 2015
618 posts
2183 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I admit I'm a bit of an outdoor gear junkie, and I own a ton of fairly high end stuff - I'm mainly an dead bird brand guy (6 jackets + other) but I also own some of most out brands like Patagonia, Icebreaker, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, etc (and of course the cheaper stuff like Columbia, North Fake, etc).

At one time I was quite enamored with icebreaker but now my opinion is that it is seriously overpriced for what you get. It's Merino wool, I get it, but I find Smartwool just as good and it can be had for half the price on sale, nevermind if you are willing to move to a 'lesser' brand like Mountain Warehouse it'll be like a quarter to a third the price. Like the guy above me, I had a Icebreaker t-shirt get warped (and it was like $80! I was very dumb back then!) and I looked up the warranty and it's garbage - 1 year warranty and 90 day comfort. Know why I love Arx'teryx? Basically lifetime guarantee, I had stitching go after 7 years and they fixed it for free - that's standing behind your product. If you want to be all hipster then maybe the natural merino thing is a big selling point, but personally synthetics are my go-to and cotton is fine for casual stuff too. If synthetics are good enough for Olympic athletes it's good enough for me.

To be fair to the brand I have an Icebreaker mid-layer that's lasted me for a long time and I like it a lot. It's just too hard to pick the good from the overpriced stuff with this brand.
May 15, 2015
434 posts
563 upvotes
Interesting. I've had the complete opposite experience. Dead bird = junk, Icebreaker = bulletproof.

Had a couple Icebreaker items wear out (completely me abusing them), one email to customer service and brand new ones were in the mail, no pictures or questions or anything.

Had serious quality issues with a couple Arcteryx jackets and customer service was a nightmare to deal with, and utterly useless.

I'd also argue that Arcteryx is the hipster brand.. I mean, come on, 'dead bird'?? lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1436 posts
3358 upvotes
Verdic wrote: Know why I love Arx'teryx? Basically lifetime guarantee, I had stitching go after 7 years and they fixed it for free - that's standing behind your product.
Exactly the reason I love Patagonia. I've had so many zippers replaced I can't even count. Also everything I've ever taken back they gave me a full price refund even if I bought it on sale. They stand behind their stuff. Only bad thing to say is their products last forever so you're stuck with the same styleGrinning Face
Sep 1, 2019
17 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Were the Icebreakers under the 1 year warranty? Or do they have "lifetime" warranty as well?
Dec 29, 2009
609 posts
217 upvotes
CornMaximalist wrote: Were the Icebreakers under the 1 year warranty? Or do they have "lifetime" warranty as well?
Lifetime for socks, 1 year for most other things
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
Coming in thinking it was the Mints..

I usually stock up on icebreaker mints..... nvm