• Dec 22nd, 2019 12:20 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 26, 2017
191 posts
113 upvotes

Idea for a Credit Card App

Was just thinking of how it would be nice if there was an app that could tell you which credit/debit card would maximize our rewards at each store we are making purchases.

The basics would be that you could select the store you're shopping at and your rewards preference (cash back, travel, miles, etc...) and it would tell you which of your current credit/debit cards to use for maximum benefit. It could also have a database of all cards currently available in Canada and make suggestions of what card would be best that you could apply for. What do you think, would this be useful to you? Or if it already exists, please let me know!

Also an app to tell you exactly what a store is categorized as to the credit card companies...don't even get me started on that mystery maze!
10 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14073 posts
11728 upvotes
Not Leask
Even if an app were to be developed, it'd...
  1. require geographic location
  2. you'd have to add your cards within the list of supported cards by the app
  3. for smaller merchants, especially seasonal, it may be real hard for the app to register

Basically, can only remotely function of made by the oligarchs or basement hobbyists. I guess there'd be affiliate marketing opportunity for revenue...as in "going to merchant X? Have you considered signing up for THIS card??"

Even then, Tang has choosable categories, so you'd have to add those, too.

Much work for so little gain.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Dec 8, 2017
505 posts
235 upvotes
I think it’s a nice idea. Could also include other discount options, such as what cash back program or coupon to use.

I actually made a table for my 5 credit cards, to help me remember (see attached).
Images
  • F43B84F2-D9B2-4347-903B-5785929969CC.jpeg
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2310 posts
787 upvotes
Burnaby
I think you'd also end up spreading spending across too many cards with some having minimum redemption criteria and/or annual fees. Also insurances are important to some and can't be ignored, whether that's price protection, warranty, collision damage waiver, travel/baggage insurances etc.

The app would have to have some sort of profile generator built in.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9228 posts
4509 upvotes
Markham
Its a nice idea

But in reality, be aware algorithm is much complicated

1: there is a fee associated with card, you can potentially maximize reward but pay too much fee . So net net you lost money

2: some cards reward have tiers. For example, scotiabank passport infinite, if you spend 30(or 40k) a year, you get 10k point as bonus. So its not just maximizing each individual transaction, but also overall reward (reward tiers, fees...), so app need build in those forecasting

I am wondering why google hasn't built this type app, they can integrate with google map and track your location. Pretty much Pokémon Go for Credit Card
May 26, 2009
526 posts
689 upvotes
Calgary
If you'd want to put the effort into something like this, you would get more value out of churning cards. Welcome bonuses return much more than category spend.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2067 posts
413 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
mcmax20 wrote: Was just thinking of how it would be nice if there was an app that could tell you which credit/debit card would maximize our rewards at each store we are making purchases.

The basics would be that you could select the store you're shopping at and your rewards preference (cash back, travel, miles, etc...) and it would tell you which of your current credit/debit cards to use for maximum benefit. It could also have a database of all cards currently available in Canada and make suggestions of what card would be best that you could apply for. What do you think, would this be useful to you? Or if it already exists, please let me know!

Also an app to tell you exactly what a store is categorized as to the credit card companies...don't even get me started on that mystery maze!
There is something exactly like this, although I am not sure how well it works in Canada.

CardPointers
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cardpointers/id1472875808
Jan 18, 2015
787 posts
512 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
amplified wrote: The app would have to have some sort of profile generator built in.
Maybe get together with the creditcardgenius guys since they already have that filter for their cards. I'm sure the algorithm could be recycled that way.

However "net valuing" cards even in their own filters is only moderately accurate, since for example, there are unique unseen values - like Canadian Tire's Bill Pay is in no way accommodated for there. (Although in your app's case, that use happens to be irrelevant)
Max Low Income NoAF CB:
SLOT1: Simplii 4%/1.5%
SLOT2 3% Grocery: BMO CB MC ** MC for WM Supercentre+NoFrills
SLOT3 (1.25% OTHER): Amex SC/AmexBlueSky
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14073 posts
11728 upvotes
Not Leask
CouponBaron wrote: Maybe get together with the creditcardgenius guys since they already have that filter for their cards. I'm sure the algorithm could be recycled that way.

However "net valuing" cards even in their own filters is only moderately accurate, since for example, there are unique unseen values - like Canadian Tire's Bill Pay is in no way accommodated for there. (Although in your app's case, that use happens to be irrelevant)
CCG's card recommendation web "app" is garbage. It'll only recommend a "one card solution", even though you can add multiple cards from your current wallet.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
May 24, 2019
132 posts
125 upvotes
There is an app that does all of this: it’s called MaxRewards. It recognizes only USA credit cards for now, but they will probably implement canadian credit cards soon since they allow the app on the Canadian App Store
Jan 18, 2015
787 posts
512 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
titaniumtux wrote: It'll only recommend a "one card solution", even though you can add multiple cards from your current wallet.
Hmm, fair enough. I just thought mental extrapolation from the results was enough to be helpful and that similar generic data from the app that can be extrapolated upon has to be more use than none, no?
Max Low Income NoAF CB:
SLOT1: Simplii 4%/1.5%
SLOT2 3% Grocery: BMO CB MC ** MC for WM Supercentre+NoFrills
SLOT3 (1.25% OTHER): Amex SC/AmexBlueSky