Entertainment

Ideal Budget 4K TV for Seniors

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2020 8:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2011
5962 posts
1421 upvotes
GTA

Ideal Budget 4K TV for Seniors

Looking to replace my parents' TV 40" LED TV which is directly connected to PC mainly for light web browsing and drama in a well-lit room. 55" should suffice.

Is there specific tech i.e. OLED/QLED that's good for their use?

Any recommendations for specs to look for or specific model/channel/deals?

TIA
8 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2002
24389 posts
33400 upvotes
Toronto
My mom is very happy with her TCL.

Built-in Roku so simple that even she can operate it easily.
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2011
5962 posts
1421 upvotes
GTA
Saw this, should I act on it?
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/5 ... LC55N7004U

Here's the other choices under the budget categories (55", $400-500) and available in Canada
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tc ... a/13185852
https://www.costco.ca/hisense-55-in.-4k ... 75065.html
https://www.amazon.ca/Hisense-65H78G-in ... CDY6Y?th=1
https://www.amazon.ca/Hisense-55H78G-in ... ics&sr=1-1
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... x/13016173

This TV literally has two uses, super light web reading (not even browsing), youtube news and soap opera, maybe some cooking programs too but I wouldn't call that watching movie or sports.

Even Amazon Warehouse Refurbed is fine.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 1, 2016
989 posts
537 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote: Here's the other choices under the budget categories (55", $400-500) and available in Canada
https://www.costco.ca/hisense-55-in.-4k ... 75065.html

Even Amazon Warehouse Refurbed is fine.
Get the cheapest TCL 55" 4K TV from Costco with an additional 3 year warranty (for a total of 5 years). Simple, economical and peace of mind for 5 whole years. Can't go wrong with Costco.
Pixelation~
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2011
5962 posts
1421 upvotes
GTA
ProjectPixelation wrote: Get the cheapest TCL 55" 4K TV from Costco with an additional 3 year warranty (for a total of 5 years). Simple, economical and peace of mind for 5 whole years. Can't go wrong with Costco.
By 3yr warranty you mean purchase extended?? https://www.costco.ca/extended-warranty ... sions.html

I'm not quite sure about buying coverage. All of my LG monitors have this 5yr periodic bad caps while NEC, Sony, ViewSonic, Samsung doesn't. Meanwhile, if miniLED comes out and look fantastic it would help when selling used.

Is this TCL as good?
https://www.costco.ca/tcl-50-in.-4k-hdr ... 74689.html
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 1, 2016
989 posts
537 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote: By 3yr warranty you mean purchase extended?? https://www.costco.ca/extended-warranty ... sions.html
Yeah, for TVs under $500, it's $30 for an additional 3 years of warranty. No brainer for the peace of mind IMO.
LongLiveRFD wrote: I'm not quite sure about buying coverage. All of my LG monitors have this 5yr periodic bad caps while NEC, Sony, ViewSonic, Samsung doesn't. Meanwhile, if miniLED comes out and look fantastic it would help when selling used.

Is this TCL as good?
https://www.costco.ca/tcl-50-in.-4k-hdr ... 74689.html
Yep; I'd recommend the 4 series over the 6 series for general use (I have that in the basement for a PS3 setup). Before people jump in with torches in support for the 6 series; here's my reasoning:

1) It's much much much lighter and so much easier to carry/move around. You may only have to do it once... but it's still a pain; plus a 20LBb different will feel like 40 LBs due to it's awkward size/shape (it's hard to get a good grip on it).

2) No HDR: Actually a pro in this case... I have both the 50" 4 series and the 55" 6 series. The HDR can get really bright on the 6 series that I have low power mode on majority of the time; day light scenes in movies hurt my eyes (no joke).

3) Price different of $230 (and extended warranty is cheaper too).
Pixelation~
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8672 posts
4909 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Since you're in GTA suggest RCSS when they have no tax events.

Else get from Costco as good warranty.
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.

Top