Students

Ideal laptops for students

[OP]
Sep 20, 2007
1 posts

Ideal laptops for students

Which company do you think has best laptop or desktops in terms of efficiency and price affording capacity for students.
37 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18341 posts
5668 upvotes
Toronto
HP.

And no matter what, get a 14-15" in laptop, no bigger.
The lighter, the better.

And you either get a large battery that you'll be able to sit where you want in class or a smaller battery and the kid will have to become a corner-seat hog, trying to find all the outlets in the room.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5676 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
If you're looking to do work mostly... Dell offers a good bang for the buck. They have lots of options so u can customize to meet your needs. I agree with the above poster on the bigger battery. It'll last you through a 3hr lecture. Saves you from bringing the adapter and trouble of looking for an outlet. If you want a slightly better/small one... I would prob suggest Asus. If you're in design... I would prob suggest a Macbook but if not I'd prob stay away just in case your school requires you to use certain software to do assignments. I've seen people needing to go to the library/lab to do assignments since they can't install some of the programs on their mac. Anywayz post back with your decision. But yea... the smaller the better since you're gonna be lugging it around with you. Just don't one too small where it's hard to see. 14" is prob the limit but you can go for 15" if you'd like.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2539 posts
102 upvotes
Get a small notebook. Small as in, about the size of a textbook

I don't even bother dragging out my 15 inch laptop to class..
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2308 posts
563 upvotes
mpt wrote: macbooks!
I love Macbooks like none other, but affordable? Cheaper hardware equivalents can be found from other vendors.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8639 posts
1341 upvotes
HP all the way. reliable and affordable! Dell is another good brand. I would stay away from Toshibas and IBMs. heard of many problems with those two brands. more of a reliability issue.
Dec 6, 2005
573 posts
66 upvotes
lenovo, you can spill stuff on them and they don't explode like dells.

Thinkpads are the most durable you can buy, just pay the extra hundred or two.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1082 posts
199 upvotes
PACIFIC
Light (14"/smaller) and durable. In theory and most cases, the business models have greater durability than the consumer ones.

[QUOTE]"Which company do you think has best laptop or desktops in terms of efficiency and price affording capacity for students."[/QUOTE]
In terms of efficiency and price? I'd say get the one that is heavily discounted - be it Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, or other leading brands. Really hot deals can be found now and then in the hot deal section.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1082 posts
199 upvotes
PACIFIC
bobbings wrote: HP all the way. reliable and affordable! Dell is another good brand. I would stay away from Toshibas and IBMs. heard of many problems with those two brands. more of a reliability issue.
I had a really bad experience with an HP laptop and the HP customer service/support team. At one point, I wouldn't consider buying any HP products at all. Mind you, back then, I paid like $3,000+ for a laptop - so I was pretty p*****. I had much better experiences with IBM (now Lenovo) and Dell.

IMO, between the 4 brands you mentioned, I'd just go with the one that offers the best price/performance ratio; I think they're all leading brands. If the prices are about the same, I'd choose an IBM - that's just my preference.

Edit: I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a T/X series IBM Thinkpad, just for better constructions.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1082 posts
199 upvotes
PACIFIC
xtracrispy123 wrote: lenovo, you can spill stuff on them and they don't explode like dells.

Thinkpads are the most durable you can buy, just pay the extra hundred or two.
Forget to mention the Panasonic Toughbooks? :)
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2539 posts
102 upvotes
for what its worth, dell canada's tech is really good from what i have seen.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5736 posts
354 upvotes
bobbings wrote: HP all the way. reliable and affordable! Dell is another good brand. I would stay away from Toshibas and IBMs. heard of many problems with those two brands. more of a reliability issue.
you're telling people to go hp or dell but stay away from ibm? i hope your post is a joke.

i've got a 14.1" dell. it's alright but if the chance presents itself i'd definitely get a lenovo/ibm.

oh and don't buy a mac. you'll end up not doing any work.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4017 posts
372 upvotes
cool kids will buy macs...

smart kids will buy IBMs ;)