None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3645 posts
811 upvotes
Hamilton

Ideas For Making Fence Quick Remove

I live on a corner lot, and sometimes (maybe once or twice a year) it would be handy to access the backyard from the side street instead of the man gate at the front.

Just looking for some ideas on the best way to accomplish this. The fence is made out of 4x4 posts, and the sections are just under 8ft, so it’s a lot of weight to put one the 1 post if I were to turn it into a gate. If split the section in half and make two gates out of it, there would be no fixed point in the middle to make it rigid when closed.

It doesn’t have to be a hinged gate, even something that makes removing the section of the fence easy.

Before I was actually lifting the section of the fence up and out, but it was a pain in the ass to get the section of fence back into the 4 fence hangers on the 4x4s, and they usually get pretty mangled.

Thoughts?
Images
  • image.jpg
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17603 posts
8254 upvotes
We usually just go the route of lifting them out of the hangers. I'm not sure why your hangers are getting mangled when lifting in and out - it's pretty straight forward and just requires two people for an 8 foot section (tough to line up with a single person sometimes).

If you don't mind the appearance you can use actual galvanized joist hangers ( https://www.homedepot.ca/product/simpso ... 1000151768 ). These are meant to be used in more structural applications and with being attached to the post in 4 places it should never get mangled.

Otherwise I think what you have noticed is correct - even (2) 4' sections of gate will be very heavy with your current design.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1219 posts
776 upvotes
London, On
Split into 4 foot gate sections, put a little concrete pad, or a thick patio paver, where the 2 sides meet, put one of those sliding bolts that have the notches on it so that it slides down into a hole you drill in the concrete to hold that section rigid and a regular gate latch on the other section to latch to that first section. I always make my gates 4 foot wide to make sure I have room for most things and never have an issue with them sagging.

I also like the idea above of just replacing the fence brackets with joist hangers so they are easier to lift out a section and replace it without bending the sides of the bracket and making it difficult to get the 2x4 back in it. This could be preferable if you don't need frequent access.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3645 posts
811 upvotes
Hamilton
Good idea about the joist hangers. The reason why they are getting damaged was the 4x4s are twisting like the 60's so nothing lines up properly or straight. I'll give the hangers a try.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1436 posts
1121 upvotes
HAMILTON
cut fence panel in 1/2. You can get gate Kits that let you easily make strong corners without a lot of work.

Then, for both strength and security, put pipe clamps on each side ( top & bottom 2x4s), get a piece of fence top rail. Cut to fit and slide thru the pipe clamps.

No one can get into the back yard thru the gate that way.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13002 posts
9929 upvotes
Edmonton
adblink182 wrote: Good idea about the joist hangers. The reason why they are getting damaged was the 4x4s are twisting like the 60's so nothing lines up properly or straight. I'll give the hangers a try.
You could try looking into why the posts are twisting. Is it because they're not properly set in the ground to act as gate posts? Like, are they set in the ground directly, or are they in concrete?

If they're not set firmly, any measure you take will be set up for failure (IMHO). So you'd do well to rectify that situation first.

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)