Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
984 posts
675 upvotes
GTA

Ideas for MSR purchase to secure CC welcome bonus

I thought the welcome bonus on my new CC didn't have minimum spending. Turns out I'm wrong, and now I have a month left to secure the bonus.

Requirement is $1K.

Any ideas? Costco or any other large B&M with 1 year return policy strongly preferred.

I already bought all the GCs I need from Ugo/Moola. $1K is not much but I'm also unwilling to pull transactions/autopay from my 10% CB with TDCBVI

Thanks.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
5745 posts
3194 upvotes
SKill7 wrote: I thought the welcome bonus on my new CC didn't have minimum spending. Turns out I'm wrong, and now I have a month left to secure the bonus.

Requirement is $1K.

Any ideas? Costco or any other large B&M with 1 year return policy strongly preferred.

I already bought all the GCs I need from Ugo/Moola. $1K is not much but I'm also unwilling to pull transactions/autopay from my 10% CB with TDCBVI

Thanks.
you have enough gcs for food & gas? How about pre paying your insurance for car, home, cell charges, etc.
May 26, 2009
574 posts
768 upvotes
Calgary
Make a sizable donation to your favourite charity.
Dec 22, 2007
994 posts
610 upvotes
Mississauga
SKill7 wrote: I thought the welcome bonus on my new CC didn't have minimum spending. Turns out I'm wrong, and now I have a month left to secure the bonus.

Requirement is $1K.

Thanks.
you can pre-pay some bills that take credit card... know you can rogers, Telus, unsure about others but anything that you can make a one time payment. Giftcards for places you will actually use.
get a square reader and bill yourself is always an option depending on your comfort level
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
1031 posts
562 upvotes
Depending on the value of this welcome bonus, it may be worth paying the fees to make payments to CRA, utilities, property tax, etc through Plastiq/SimplyPay/etc.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14728 posts
12825 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Gonna guess it's a VISA? Can't think of where to spend $1k within three (3) months anywhere VISA is accepted?

Ya, if nothing else just overpay some bills.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
May 27, 2017
196 posts
217 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Since you mentioned Costco, why not get some Costco GCs online? Yes, VISA accepted.
Public Mobile $33/6GB
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14728 posts
12825 upvotes
Going to the Moon
titaniumtux wrote: Gonna guess it's a VISA? Can't think of where to spend $1k within three (3) months anywhere VISA is accepted?

Ya, if nothing else just overpay some bills.
umcsdon wrote: Since you mentioned Costco, why not get some Costco GCs online? Yes, VISA accepted.
Good point. If it's an MC it's a little easier in Canada.

OP, your 10%/everything on TD CBI is 1+9% or 3+7%...if you spend within the accelerated categories during the welcome bonus on TD CBI (assuming welcome bonus cashback is category-agnostic), you're only eating up room within the annual $15k spend cap for the 3% accelerator at no added benefit to you. It's better to burn through TD CBI MSR on uncategorized spend.

Can use PayTM to pay utility bills (with a fee) with your $1k MSR card. Such a transaction would not be eligible for the 3% accelerator on TD CBI anyway.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12307 posts
15472 upvotes
Vancouver
umcsdon wrote: Since you mentioned Costco, why not get some Costco GCs online? Yes, VISA accepted.
I stopped ordering gift cards from Costco after the one time I did, the envelope was just left on my doorstep for anyone to steal. The carrier didn't even bother to push the envelope through my mail slot.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
984 posts
675 upvotes
GTA
Kiraly wrote: Just buy what you need. I know that sounds like a smart-ass answer but honestly it's hard to suggest what you should buy when we don't know what you need.
I have dental appointments scheduled, something I didn't even think of. Best to go now before they close up the office again due to second wave if/when it comes
duderaf wrote: you can pre-pay some bills that take credit card... know you can rogers, Telus, unsure about others but anything that you can make a one time payment. Giftcards for places you will actually use.
get a square reader and bill yourself is always an option depending on your comfort level
GCs aren't something I thought of either. I'll buy some Costco GCs and Vanila cards in store.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
16192 posts
4690 upvotes
Scarberia
does standalone circleKs sell gcs? only 7/11 close to me does but its far away in pickering! tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
984 posts
675 upvotes
GTA
mikka2017 wrote: does standalone circleKs sell gcs? only 7/11 close to me does but its far away in pickering! tia
I remember someone on here saying they bought $1K+ Amazon GCs from CircleK and for whatever reason, Amazon considered it fraudulent activity - that's all I've heard about them
Apr 16, 2020
321 posts
432 upvotes
QuicKi7 wrote: I remember someone on here saying they bought $1K+ Amazon GCs from CircleK and for whatever reason, Amazon considered it fraudulent activity - that's all I've heard about them
From Amazon's point of view it could look similar to many scams. Should be easy to prove them wrong with receipts though.