Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2131 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto

Ideas to weatherproof a pergola

Trying to think of a way to weatherproof the pergola i built so I can enjoy a drink when it's cold outside. I was planning to buy a fire pit or propane heaters but I have installed corrugated plastic roof so I just want to make sure it doesn't melt. Looking for ideas to close the sides and front that will be easy removable when spring comes.
Images
  • 20211125_104126.jpg
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1452 posts
465 upvotes
Vancouver
On a side topic, looks like your pergola is right against the neighbor's fence?

If yes, it is likely against the bylaws in most jurisdictions and given the possibility of having to move it in the future, you might want to have something that is movable.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3305 posts
1886 upvotes
Mississauga
Ideally the roof should be sloped which helps with snow load.

The heat resistance of the corrugated plastic roof should be about 40ºC. Any patio heater with a heat defector hat should not be an issue. Just dont pick one too tall that will end up being a few inches from the roof
Fantastical wrote: On a side topic, looks like your pergola is right against the neighbor's fence?

If yes, it is likely against the bylaws in most jurisdictions and given the possibility of having to move it in the future, you might want to have something that is movable.
To me it looks more like a privacy wall in the middle of the back yard
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2131 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
Fantastical wrote: On a side topic, looks like your pergola is right against the neighbor's fence?

That privacy fence is on my side of the property. The roof has 4 degree slope towards the back.
bubuski wrote: Ideally the roof should be sloped which helps with snow load.

The heat resistance of the corrugated plastic roof should be about 40ºC. Any patio heater with a heat defector hat should not be an issue. Just dont pick one too tall that will end up being a few inches from the roof

To me it looks more like a privacy wall in the middle of the back yard
Wonder what the heat from the wood firepit would be 7 ft above...
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3305 posts
1886 upvotes
Mississauga
LembergMX wrote: Wonder what the heat from the wood firepit would be 7 ft above...
7ft is cutting it close for a wood firepit but the clearance will be model specific and outlined in the owner's manual.

Narrow down the models you are considering and check the manufacture's website for more information on clearance to combustables. It should be outlined like the images below.

Manufacturers clearance rating are mostly conservative but should cover extreme situations.
Images
  • best_surfaces_check_installation_manual.jpg
  • content_minimum-heater-clearances-sunglo.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3206 posts
1999 upvotes
Markham
LembergMX wrote: Wonder what the heat from the wood firepit would be 7 ft above...
I can't comment on heat. But I can tell you the burning will leave a black film on the plastic roof.