• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2020 1:20 am
Tags:
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9363 posts
1534 upvotes
Think that is the family of "bloodsuckers", although I recall the ones from canada rarely feed on humans... just squish it. If it has a much wider body and shorter... it's probably a stink bug... you dont' want to squish those, just grab it and let it go outside.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Oct 14, 2012
683 posts
411 upvotes
Woodstock
If no one here has the right answer, you can post your photo to iNaturalist.com or to BugGuide.net if you want.
Actually looking closer yours looks more like Nabis (see https://bugguide.net/node/view/492373 ) If it is a Nabis, they eat insects including aphids and caterpillars.

Possibly a Western Conifer Seed Bug, or a similar kind. Like ladybugs, they often try to get into somewhere warm to spend the winter sleeping. If it's too warm, though, they wake up and move around.
https://naturalcrooks.com/rambles/weste ... g-ontario/
But it doesn't look like yours has the wide flat part on the rear leg.
May 28, 2012
11226 posts
3429 upvotes
Saskatoon
Closest match I can find is a Damsel Bug.
Oct 14, 2012
683 posts
411 upvotes
Woodstock
In all these suggestions, none of them are insects that will start living and breeding in your house. They are all examples of outside insects that are attracted to warmth (and sometimes that come inside on Christmas trees, outdoor plants, etc.) So it is unlikely you will see many of them or that you will need to do anything.

Damsel bug = Nabis, by the way. So Mars2012 and I are suggesting the same thing. There are several reports indoor/outdoors of Nabis in the GTA on iNaturalist.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5222 posts
637 upvotes
I see those occasionally. They come from outside. If you squish them they smell kinda bad/green smelling. I think they eat leaves. There are many similar looking bugs though
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
234 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
That looks exactly like a damsel bug. I wasn’t worried, more so curious. I found it behind my baseboards (among other things lol). After reading about it, this one seems beneficial! It kills stuff I don’t want in my house

BetCrooks wrote: In all these suggestions, none of them are insects that will start living and breeding in your house. They are all examples of outside insects that are attracted to warmth (and sometimes that come inside on Christmas trees, outdoor plants, etc.) So it is unlikely you will see many of them or that you will need to do anything.

Damsel bug = Nabis, by the way. So Mars2012 and I are suggesting the same thing. There are several reports indoor/outdoors of Nabis in the GTA on iNaturalist.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9968 posts
5250 upvotes
Paris
Whenever you find a Masked Hunter bug in your house, give him a wide berth and send him on his way back into the depths of your house to defend it from stuff you DON’T want.

Dont pick it up and get bit by it either, its very painful.