• Sep 16th, 2019 10:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West

Identify this Undercoating (photo)

I was told by a mechanic that this car had been undercoated before, but I didn't think to ask what kind of product it was.
Can anyone look at this underbody photo and identify the kind of undercoating / rustproofing?

Car is RAV4, 3 years old.

Photo:
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Sep 16th, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
9 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11768 posts
11381 upvotes
Oakville
What car is it?
Is it oily?
Looks like just the factory ecoat.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
engineered wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 11:53 pm
What car is it?
Is it oily?
Car is RAV4, 3 years old.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10464 posts
4669 upvotes
Brampton
Doesn't look like there's any coating.

3 years old isn't enough to really rust anything outside of the exposed bolts.

Makes me question your "Mechanic"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9365 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Cant tell, I do see some darker spots which may have been from Krown or other oil based rust proofing. EIther way I would continue every year with a product like Krown oil protection or something similar . Do NOT do the black Tar stuff that will cause your car to rust & rot.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
sickcars wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 10:51 am
Cant tell, I do see some darker spots which may have been from Krown or other oil based rust proofing. EIther way I would continue every year with a product like Krown oil protection or something similar . Do NOT do the black Tar stuff that will cause your car to rust & rot.
Thanks, I've been to Krown ~10 times with my last car. I want to get PPF on this one first. Was told by one shop that you should get PPF before Krown to avoid any adhesion problems caused by the oil. But I'll certainly take take this one to Krown eventually.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9365 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Yes makes sense because krown will have some over spray. So I would do the full front end with PPF then go to krown after.
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 10:59 am
Thanks, I've been to Krown ~10 times with my last car. I want to get PPF on this one first. Was told by one shop that you should get PPF before Krown to avoid any adhesion problems caused by the oil. But I'll certainly take take this one to Krown eventually.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
Thanks for your responses. I eventually found out the car most likely got an oil spray coating, applied in-house by the dealership.
engineered wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 11:53 pm
What car is it?
Is it oily?
tebore wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 8:30 am
Doesn't look like there's any coating.

3 years old isn't enough to really rust anything outside of the exposed bolts.

Makes me question your "Mechanic"
sickcars wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 10:51 am
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3205 posts
2277 upvotes
Ottawa
When I had my Camry rustproofed by the dealer 12 years ago before delivery, they (prob contracted out to a 3rd party) put on the black rubberized coating and it has held up well, had to get it touched up around the 6 or 8 year mark under the rustproofing warranty. Under your car I don't see anything like rustproofing to me.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
gumby wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 10:07 pm
When I had my Camry rustproofed by the dealer 12 years ago before delivery, they (prob contracted out to a 3rd party) put on the black rubberized coating and it has held up well, had to get it touched up around the 6 or 8 year mark under the rustproofing warranty. Under your car I don't see anything like rustproofing to me.
That's probably Zeibart. Anyone else interested can learn more about it here.