Expired Hot Deals

idrinkcoffee.com

Breville The Dual Boiler BES920 Espresso Machine - $1,400

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2021 12:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1388 posts
2100 upvotes

Breville The Dual Boiler BES920 Espresso Machine - $1,400

Deal Link:
Price:
1399.99
Expiry:
July 22, 2021
Retailer:
idrinkcoffee.com
IDC has the Breville Dual Boiler for preorder due to ship mid/late Jul. This is more plasticky but is a dual boiler machine that has lots of fans. There are many mods available as well so this looks like a very capable machine although I don't own one myself. The best deals for IDC come at black friday, but if you can't wait this seems decent.

Interesting vid by Lance Hedrick reviewing the dual boiler.

32 replies
Newbie
Aug 14, 2013
75 posts
24 upvotes
That's a solid deal but why's it a pre-order? Hasn't it been out for a while?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1388 posts
2100 upvotes
I'm guessing lack of supply due to pandemic. Many retailers seem OOS for this machine.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 24, 2009
1763 posts
1372 upvotes
AB
Is $2799 a good price for The Oracle Touch? Anyone knows what was the price for it on Black Friday?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1388 posts
2100 upvotes
.fess wrote: Is $2799 a good price for The Oracle Touch? Anyone knows what was the price for it on Black Friday?
They didn't have the Oracle Touch on sale for BF last year. They did have the Breville Barista Express for $699 but that was the only Breville on sale BF 2020. IDC usually has the "we pay the tax" on BF too, so you would have saved the tax on the Oracle Touch.
Member
Mar 2, 2015
353 posts
562 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Great price for an awesome machine. You can’t go wrong with the dual boiler.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 19, 2004
1137 posts
232 upvotes
Still using my 900XL I bought from Amazon back in 2013, based on a thread posted here when it went on sale for $799. These double boilers are solid units. I did have to have mine repaired out of warrenty when I ran in to pressure loss issues, but it was worth having fixed. Makes a fantastic cup of joe
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 15, 2015
975 posts
857 upvotes
Mooooonnn
WiseOx wrote: Still using my 900XL I bought from Amazon back in 2013, based on a thread posted here when it went on sale for $799. These double boilers are solid units. I did have to have mine repaired out of warrenty when I ran in to pressure loss issues, but it was worth having fixed. Makes a fantastic cup of joe
You paid $399 flat rate for fix?
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Jr. Member
Nov 26, 2015
134 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Good machine. Water filters are a little expensive. I think it's better to buy this one and a nice grinder instead of an Oracle.
Sr. Member
Oct 25, 2001
697 posts
517 upvotes
Toronto
wrenkin wrote: Good machine. Water filters are a little expensive. I think it's better to buy this one and a nice grinder instead of an Oracle.
You don't have to buy Breville branded filters. It's a pretty common size/type.
Member
Nov 19, 2007
275 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Had been using the Dual Boiler for last 2-3 years. Solid machine, once you get the coffee making process going it's seamless. Unless you makes lots of coffee of the same bean blend, that preset single/dual shot is useless. I rather put a small scale under my cup to accurately monitor my coffee output, than trusting the time/volume setting on the machine.

The dual boiler is also very useful in speeding up coffee machine process, I would usually froth milk while extracting coffee same time. By the time coffee is done, my milk is close or already done frothing process. So you don't have to wait for either step and just pour milk on coffee and reduce amount of time needed for coffee.

The only complaint I have is milk froth time is a bit slow, but expected for a small boiler unit (yes, this machine is small when you are looking around).

And yes, invest a decent grinder to go with it.

A good coffee machine with bad grinder makes bad coffee, a bad coffee machine with good grinder makes decent coffee.
Jr. Member
Sep 30, 2019
155 posts
179 upvotes
you are not going to do better than this as this price point, tbh. . .

upvoted for a solid deal if you want to step up from single boiler setups and have the ease of use with being able to steam milk and pull shots simultaneously. i know people who have run theirs continuously for almost 10 years.

if you want a machine from an espresso-centric company at this price level, your options at idc are pretty limited:
https://idrinkcoffee.com/collections/co ... so-machine
https://idrinkcoffee.com/collections/co ... r-ii-black

both are hx machines, but will perform just as well as a db, since they are both pid stabilized.

the next step up after this is double/triple in cost, and then after that you're into the top of prosumer class.
Jr. Member
Jun 9, 2004
116 posts
worldwolf wrote: Had been using the Dual Boiler for last 2-3 years. Solid machine, once you get the coffee making process going it's seamless. Unless you makes lots of coffee of the same bean blend, that preset single/dual shot is useless. I rather put a small scale under my cup to accurately monitor my coffee output, than trusting the time/volume setting on the machine.

The dual boiler is also very useful in speeding up coffee machine process, I would usually froth milk while extracting coffee same time. By the time coffee is done, my milk is close or already done frothing process. So you don't have to wait for either step and just pour milk on coffee and reduce amount of time needed for coffee.

The only complaint I have is milk froth time is a bit slow, but expected for a small boiler unit (yes, this machine is small when you are looking around).

And yes, invest a decent grinder to go with it.

A good coffee machine with bad grinder makes bad coffee, a bad coffee machine with good grinder makes decent coffee.
What would be a decent / good grinder to match with it in your view? Purchased a DB with Breville smart grinder on marketplace recently but I'm sensing the grinder could be upgraded, knowing the Breville grinder is basically what is found in the Barista Express machine.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1170 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
frugalcanuck wrote: IDC has the Breville Dual Boiler for preorder due to ship mid/late Jul. This is more plasticky but is a dual boiler machine that has lots of fans. There are many mods available as well so this looks like a very capable machine although I don't own one myself. The best deals for IDC come at black friday, but if you can't wait this seems decent.

Interesting vid by Lance Hedrick reviewing the dual boiler.

That video shows a level of intensity and nerdy precision for extracting coffee that I sadly don't have the patience for.

After my breville smart grinder went down, I went to a used gaggia semi-automatic. Quality and joy of making coffee isn't the same but sometimes is it is nice just to press a button and get a decent shot of coffee.
Member
Aug 27, 2006
486 posts
1081 upvotes
GTA
Love it.
Got it on Amazon for $1,099 though in Dec 2018
The Black one was $999 at the same time.

Miguel Sánchez wrote: You don't have to buy Breville branded filters. It's a pretty common size/type.
This machine uses a different filter.
ClaroSwiss Water Filter.
Expensive.
Member
Aug 27, 2006
486 posts
1081 upvotes
GTA
Miguel Sánchez wrote: Didn't realize they changed the filter. I've had mine since 2015 and I just use this type: https://www.breville.com/us/en/parts-ac ... 100na.html

Maybe you have BES900.
I would prefer to have those small ones.
I have tons left from the old single boiler machine and they were very cheap.
Last edited by el'ation on Jul 15th, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
11870 posts
3492 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I have this machine and I’m very happy. Actually, I have two of them. One is a “backup” in case my daily use one goes down.

I’m a bit embarrassed to reveal the backup, but I got a screaming deal. I got a 900XL on Amazon around 2012 for $700. (At the time I vacillated for two days about spending $700 to make my morning lattes.)

About 2016 some department store (The Bay?) had the 920XL on sale at about $1000. I bought one because the 900XL had developed a leak at the wand and I knew it had to go to Breville. But the department store kept messing up on the delivery and ended up chopping the price to below $700.

Breville said they couldn’t repair the 900XL, so sent me an 920XL as a replacement for the cost of the repair.

I figure I’m good for 10-20 years for making my espresso drinks. Grinning Face
Last edited by MexiCanuck on Jul 15th, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
11870 posts
3492 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Miguel Sánchez wrote:
Didn't realize they changed the filter. I've had mine since 2015 and I just use this type: https://www.breville.com/us/en/parts-ac ... 100na.html
el'ation wrote: Maybe you have BES900.
I would prefer to have those small ones.
I have tons left from the old single boiler machine and they were very cheap.
I have two 920XLs and they both use the filter that Miguel linked.

According to this thread, the current 920XLs can use the newer, more expensive, filters or the kind that Miguel and I use.
Last edited by MexiCanuck on Jul 15th, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg

Top