If Amex decided to improve Platinum Card, what would you suggest?
What feature enhancements would you recommend to Amex for Platinum Card? These have to be realistic (saying give 6% MR on all purchases with no cap is not realistic)
1. Have Platinum Card be a no FX fee card (like HSBC has done with their World Elite MasterCard in Canada, and like Amex does with their Platinum Card in the US)
2. Increase the current Travel Medical insurance duration to 31-days (like CIBC and RBC do with their Infinite Privilege cards). 15 days was good in 1984 at card launch, but it is too 'mid-level' now as far as cards go - the few 'Ultra-Premium' cards in the Canadian market now mostly offer 31-days and Amex has fallen behind in this.
3. Increase the MR flat earn rate to 1.50MR /$1 (like HSBC and BMO already do with their World Elite MasterCards)
4. Have Platinum Card be made of metal (like Amex does in the US with Platinum Cards, and HSBC does in Canada with W.E. 'Jade' cards)
5. Retain the good stuff - priority lane at Pearson, free Amex lounge access, Personalized Travel Service, Concierge, emergency assistance, and the ability to phone in and talk to a human being within a couple of minutes without the excessive hold times found at all the banks these days.
6. Remove the restriction that MR points cannot be used to pay for hotel bookings made through the Platinum Card Fine Hotels & Resorts program.
Anyone else have anything to add to this 'Dear Amex Platinum Card' letter?