• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2019 6:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 22, 2019
684 posts
158 upvotes

If i suspect myself having some mental issues, where to go

If I suspect myself may suffer some mental issues, which hospital should I go for diagnoses? My syndrome was more like regular anger erupt almost every week without any reasons sometimes.

I am in Toronto. Or how should I ask my family doctor for referal?
Sara Zimmerman Duterte-Carpio for president in 2022
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6521 posts
1286 upvotes
I'd suggest starting with your family doctor first. Tell him/her about your concerns, symptoms, challenges, etc. They can refer you to a psychologist or you can refer yourself. If you need a referral to a psychiatrist instead, there may be a wait to see one, depending on your location. Unless you're in immediate distress or are considering harming yourself or somebody else, I don't think you need to go to the hospital to get the ball rolling on getting support.

Kudos to you for recognizing there's an issue and wanting to take steps to start to resolve things :)
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2606 posts
1410 upvotes
Great job posting here. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help. As the above poster mentioned your family physician is your first stop. They can recommend a knowledgable and reputable psychologist for psychotherapy if necessary. Some are private and so only accept cash or extended health benefits. But there are services covered by OHIP as well. A psychiatrist is covered by OHIP but is mainly there to prescribe medicine for whatever condition s/he thinks you're having. Those medications may or may not be covered under OHIP (unlikely to be covered).

I hope it works out for you and you get the answers you're looking for! Good luck.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5063 posts
1537 upvotes
0 downvotes
family doctors just like to perscribe pills, and they dont take me seriously, can i just check into a place without a requisition or referral?
Hi
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13628 posts
2392 upvotes
City of Vancouver
yelp.ca Enter your location and "psychologist" in search
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6521 posts
1286 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: family doctors just like to perscribe pills, and they dont take me seriously, can i just check into a place without a requisition or referral?
What place are you referring to? You don’t need a referral to see a psychologist, but you do for a psychiatrist. Or were you referring to a type of facility?
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6521 posts
1286 upvotes
^^psychologists are not physicians and cannot prescribe medication.

There should be no shame in needing medication anyway. Just like other conditions, mental health issues may need to be resolved with a combination of medication, lifestyle changes, therapy, etc.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6521 posts
1286 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: Psychologist can refer you to a psychiatrist who will put you on pills.

The present human race is quite a primitive one and has NO clue whatsoever as to what actually causes mental illnesses. So trying to fix something you do not truly understand results in behavior modification, nothing more. All those pills don't solve anything. In fact they "solve" one problem while creating another at the same time. Moreover, in a world where MONEY IS GOD it is seldom about your health and more about money.
My comment was meant to clarify the implication that a psychologist is a doctor. It is not a certainty that someone who sees a psychiatrist will be prescribed medication.

Regardless of what treatment methods a physician suggests, being prescribed medication for a mental health issue should not be shamed.