Parenting & Family

If my wife takes the 18 months leave, am I forced to take the 8 week option or can I still take 5 weeks?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 3:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1691 posts
950 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

If my wife takes the 18 months leave, am I forced to take the 8 week option or can I still take 5 weeks?

She is taking the extended 18 months and I would also like to take some time off when the baby comes, but I don't want to take a full 8 weeks. I am unclear if I would be forced into the extended 8 weeks.
3 replies
Dec 25, 2012
988 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
You will get the reduced amount as you are eligible for the 8 as she is taking the 18 months. No ones stopping you from taking 5 at the lower rate.

If your question is, will you get the 12 month rate for 5 weeks if your wife takes the 18...the answer is no.
JS
May 2, 2006
846 posts
112 upvotes
brobinsoncc wrote: She is taking the extended 18 months and I would also like to take some time off when the baby comes, but I don't want to take a full 8 weeks. I am unclear if I would be forced into the extended 8 weeks.
Take 18 months off from work, as allowed by Ontario, but sign up for 12 months of EI. You will need to budget better for the last 6 months but the collection is essentially the same from EI and then you max out on your 5 weeks. Depending on her top up, this may or may not work in your favour.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1691 posts
950 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Diamond_Ace wrote: Take 18 months off from work, as allowed by Ontario, but sign up for 12 months of EI. You will need to budget better for the last 6 months but the collection is essentially the same from EI and then you max out on your 5 weeks. Depending on her top up, this may or may not work in your favour.
Interesting I didn't consider that. I think she is part time so she just misses out on the hours she qualifies for to be topped up.

Would this have any affect on taxes compared to if she took the 18?