Off Topic

If you could give advice to your 20 year old self, what would it be?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 2:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

If you could give advice to your 20 year old self, what would it be?

I recently had a birthday and like many before it in recent memory it was uneventful and not a cause for celebration. I just don’t do the things most people would consider requisites with those milestones. At least not for a while. However something I read recently spurred many regrets like early life choices which can still be salvaged but it’s still a lingering thought.

What would be the one piece of advice you’d give your younger self?
Last edited by Supercooled on May 17th, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51 replies
Aug 14, 2015
914 posts
575 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
It won't help you cause they won't be general advice.

I'd give myself insights into years of learning how to learn advice - what works, what doesn't for me. What I should do when I struggle. How I should think about it.
Financially, to not move out from home so there'd be no student loans at all.
Family wise, to tell myself what disease a certain family member will get so there wouldn't be a huge lag in diagnosing what it is, causing unnecessary prolonged pain.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15236 posts
12402 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
That every one & every family IS DISFUNCTIONAL
So like yourself AS IS
Don’t put a lot of merit into what other people think about you
Be the best person you can be
Based on what you have now ... body, brain, skill set / talents, personality
Just don’t get hung up in what other people think about your body, brain, skill set / talents, or personality

It’s the one thing every human being struggles with
Self esteem ... what others think of us
Trying to fit in

It isn’t until we are a lot lot older (seniors)
That we figure out that crap don’t matter
What other people think about is a waste of time & worry
(Them renting space in your head )

Everyone is different
Love the person that you are
Your body, your brain, your skill set / talents, and personality
It is what makes YOU ... YOU
Forget what anyone else thinks / says about you

Strive to be the best person you can be
The BEST VERSION of yourself ... over the course of your lifetime
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3980 posts
31482 upvotes
Toronto, ON
At 20, I was probably still frustrated at a couple things in my life, so I would take that away and just react with positivity. You always have good things, but for some reason, you can never get to your good things without going through the bad. It's like shuffleboard. At 20, I didn't know where I was standing or what I really believed in. I was encompassed with dreams that I thought would get me through this life one way or another. At 20, lots of time you change a lot after high school, so I'm sure that's what everyone did, grow up a bit more and prepare for life.

I don't know that I would have done anything different, because it led to me now. I'm not totally satisfied with it, but only because the world isn't a reflection of yourself anywhere. You can do lots for yourself but it won't last the testament of time. All in all, I would have just told myself, don't worry it'll work out. Looking back now, I might have said it's got to be better and kept on pushing for a better day anywhere I was, and been more ambitious to live my life early since it seemed easier to stay on a good path and just do more. Now I've kinda succumbed to the routine that everyone else's life is for them. I don't do so much for myself because I know what's trivial and what can really make me go that could put a smile on my face. It kinda all just fits into this puzzle piece, and I'd like more choices, but all in all, I'm not complaining because I see this life has meaning from beginning to end and you gotta make the best of it, in these times or the next, since it's your life and you gotta live a life worth living.

Seemed at that age, I was still always in a group trying to figure out what works best for me. Still young, wild and free. Now I'm a little more hinged on this clockwork, but I think it's my clockwork so can't complain, I guess.
Mar 6, 2015
341 posts
1093 upvotes
New Brunswick
Do what YOU want. Not what your friends want. Not what your parents want. Not what society wants. Find your happiness and do it.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
9605 posts
2848 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Supercooled wrote: What would benthrbonenpiece of advice you’d give your younger self?
Learn to always spellcheck? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30825 posts
1699 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Buy Apple, Microsoft, and Intel.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1110 posts
547 upvotes
Ripley
Do not listen to your mother!
And do not marry him.
Feb 24, 2004
377 posts
128 upvotes
hagbard wrote: Buy Apple, Microsoft, and Intel.
Buy lots and lots of bitcoins.
Bet everything on Trump winning the presidency and the Raptors winning NBA championship 2019.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
6273 posts
1164 upvotes
Mississauga
When in doubt, pull it out
Last edited by Longobongo on May 17th, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16917 posts
1756 upvotes
Thornhill
It’s probably be something about not wasting my time watching the Harry Potter series or the last season of Game of Thrones.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
May 10, 2008
508 posts
434 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Invest in Vancouver real estate as soon as possible. Borrow if you have to, sell your soul if you have to.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11751 posts
6682 upvotes
Markham
bunmin wrote: Do what YOU want. Not what your friends want. Not what your parents want. Not what society wants. Find your happiness and do it.
At age 20, do you think this is the best advice....do what you want. At age 20, do you have the foresight to understand consequences or what your choices mean, are you the only one effected by your actions and decisions.

I think you need to listen more and talk less and learn from what ppl are telling you. They've likely gone thru their 20's and they're trying to do exactly what you're asking right now...ie what would you tell your 20 year old self.

Having said that not all advice is good afvice.

Put a filter on...put yourself in the other person's shoes and look at things from another perspective and ask what is reasonable and what is not. Try to understand why are they saying what they're saying. Argue you point from the other person's side. Get to the root reason for objections.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jun 4, 2013
642 posts
225 upvotes
Vancouver
If I could go back in time? Give my young self all the winning lottery ticket number from 20 years old to now, all the stocks market data and the housing trend. Also tell my young self all the major events that's going to happen.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
9605 posts
2848 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
redflagdealsguy wrote: Financial advice and a recommendation to leave Canuckistan for the Home of the Free.
It’s not too late.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg