Art and Photography

If you have to pick between gimbal or tripod, what would you pick?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2018 1:19 pm

Poll: If you had to choose between gimbal or tripod what would you pick?

• Total votes: 12. You have voted on this poll.
tripod

50%
gimbal

50%
prefer handheld

0%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4824 posts
70 upvotes
Local

If you have to pick between gimbal or tripod, what would you pick?

If you had to choose between either a gimbal or a tripod what would you pick for travel? You can only pick one or neither because a tripod and a gimbal will not fit in or on your bag conveniently.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3081 posts
734 upvotes
Vaughan
Depends on what you're using it for. I don't use a gimbal, because i don't shoot video often. I shoot long exposures often. So my answer is tripod, but it depends on your application. If its video, i think i'd prefer a gimbal, even though i don't own one.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5114 posts
493 upvotes
What he said. It depends. Do you need to be moving for your video shots? How still are your hands and is your body and/or lens stabilized? I had a full size gimbal but I sold it because of that very reason you're stating, takes up too much space for travel and it takes long to setup.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5094 posts
1885 upvotes
Toronto
john widow wrote: If you had to choose between either a gimbal or a tripod what would you pick for travel? You can only pick one or neither because a tripod and a gimbal will not fit in or on your bag conveniently.
Get a tripod with a removable monopod piece.

Learn to use slow movements for pan and tilt.

End of the day, this is asking if I should take apples (tripod for stills) or oranges (gimbal for video)?

You might already have a tripod if you use the stabilizing base on your gimbal.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2297 posts
333 upvotes
North York
Gimbal is these days redundant with many cameras providing IBIS (In Body Stabilization) such as Sony, Panasonic, etc. If your current camera don't do IBIS, your next camera most certainly will.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5094 posts
1885 upvotes
Toronto
Ethan15 wrote: Gimbal is these days redundant with manya cameras providing IBIS (In Body Stabilization) such as Sony, Panasonic, etc. If your current camera don't do IBIS, your next camera most certainly will.
I can't even ... :faceplam:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
Ethan15 wrote: Gimbal is these days redundant with many cameras providing IBIS (In Body Stabilization) such as Sony, Panasonic, etc. If your current camera don't do IBIS, your next camera most certainly will.
JoeStale has an alt account from 10 years ago?
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.