Real Estate

If you own a unit at Ice Condos, you may not like this.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2021 8:08 pm
43 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Welcome to Condo life!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
4153 posts
4626 upvotes
Toronto
what a shit show , 1 elevator is ridiculous never mind the bullet holes
Nov 26, 2012
433 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
TikTok has so many of these videos. Lol I knew it was bad. I had a coworker live here when it opened. She didn’t even last her one year lease lol. And that’s way before the shootings and parties. But i had no idea it was this bad.

I would like to say that a) her realtor is real scum to show her this place b) how could someone who has lived in Toronto since 2017 not know about this place and c) she moved in during the midst of the pandemic….she could have found so many better places then this. It just doesn’t add up.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
niche54 wrote: TikTok has so many of these videos. Lol I knew it was bad. I had a coworker live here when it opened. She didn’t even last her one year lease lol. And that’s way before the shootings and parties. But i had no idea it was this bad.

I would like to say that a) her realtor is real scum to show her this place b) how could someone who has lived in Toronto since 2017 not know about this place and c) she moved in during the midst of the pandemic….she could have found so many better places then this. It just doesn’t add up.
Some realtors don’t give a shit or are just clueless. She should have done some research though. There’s so much out there in this condo. Another shitty lanterra project.
Feb 5, 2015
396 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
I have lived In 3 building near there and have friends in other building in the area, and this is such a outlier. I had heard bad things about maple leaf square buildings, mainly that it was a party building, but looks like ice is much worse.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
DavidC363 wrote: I have lived In 3 building near there and have friends in other building in the area, and this is such a outlier. I had heard bad things about maple leaf square buildings, mainly that it was a party building, but looks like ice is much worse.
MLS....another Lanterra building.
Jan 29, 2014
574 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
I've had some experience with Ice Condos and it's honestly the worst condo I've been in by FAR. Some key reasons:

- Sound isolation is horrendous. Not only from the doors, but the windows too. I thought the windows were open since there was so much outside noise, but no, they're just that poorly insulated
- hot water took forever to come. Literally takes 30+ seconds in the mornings and depending on hot water demand, the taps might not even get that hot
- hallways were full of garbage smell. Chutes were often broken and the garbage rooms were packed of garbage bags on the floor
- no visitor parking - they used to have it but took it away in 2019
- you have to switch elevators when going from the garage to the main condo floors
- elevators were often broken. 3 for the lower units and 3 for the higher units. The elevator waiting "lobby" is tiny and cramped. Imagine a small and narrow hallway with 6 elevators
- tons of randoms in the lobby due to this being and Airbnb building. Felt more like being inside a hotel than a private condo residence. Lots of partying going on and always loud

Stay far away from this condo. There are tons of way better options in the vicinity.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12392 posts
6573 upvotes
Vaughan
Wow $2600/month for that garbage (literally).

The agent probably sold her on the IG-worthy CN Tower backdrop from the windows. And "it's a newer building so false alarms are frequent".
Dec 5, 2020
383 posts
252 upvotes
Is it even possible to turn this project around?

I imagine you would need to clear out the board and change the bylaws around STR.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
professormeth wrote: I've had some experience with Ice Condos and it's honestly the worst condo I've been in by FAR. Some key reasons:

- Sound isolation is horrendous. Not only from the doors, but the windows too. I thought the windows were open since there was so much outside noise, but no, they're just that poorly insulated
- hot water took forever to come. Literally takes 30+ seconds in the mornings and depending on hot water demand, the taps might not even get that hot
- hallways were full of garbage smell. Chutes were often broken and the garbage rooms were packed of garbage bags on the floor
- no visitor parking - they used to have it but took it away in 2019
- you have to switch elevators when going from the garage to the main condo floors
- elevators were often broken. 3 for the lower units and 3 for the higher units. The elevator waiting "lobby" is tiny and cramped. Imagine a small and narrow hallway with 6 elevators
- tons of randoms in the lobby due to this being and Airbnb building. Felt more like being inside a hotel than a private condo residence. Lots of partying going on and always loud

Stay far away from this condo. There are tons of way better options in the vicinity.
As I said. Lanterra built. I’m not sure if it’s still the case but wouldn’t be surprised if their new buildings has the same soundproofing issues. It’s very poor. Cheap product all around.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2014
5032 posts
5820 upvotes
I rented a Tridel condo unit (30+ floors) that was only 4 years old in North York for 1 year. It was a Leeds building.

.slamming of doors next door (called property management and security many times but no luck)
.smell of food
.only 2 elevators operational (at times)
.window latch broken/non operational due to defect
.number of fire department calls (one time couldn't get into condo for 2-3 hours)
.got stuck in the elevator with 10 other ppl on Boxing day for 45 minutes (had to crawl out in between floors)
.lugging groceries up the elevator always a pain in the axx

When you own a condo, you don't really own it. Property management does have a key to access (but must notify you before entering). I don't like it.

Never again.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
jmc111 wrote: I rented a Tridel condo unit (30+ floors) that was only 4 years old in North York for 1 year. It was a Leeds building.

.slamming of doors next door (called property management and security many times but no luck)
.smell of food
.only 2 elevators operational (at times)
.window latch broken/non operational due to defect
.number of fire department calls (one time couldn't get into condo for 2-3 hours)
.got stuck in the elevator with 10 other ppl on Boxing day for 45 minutes (had to crawl out in between floors)
.lugging groceries up the elevator always a pain in the axx

When you own a condo, you don't really own it. Property management does have a key to access (but must notify you before entering). I don't like it.

Never again.
THIS is condo life.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
Yup it's bad but that's condo living. If your condo is better then that's simply luck

Bullets: that's not due to the condo being bad. Is shooting just happened at Yorkdale too so are we going to blame Yorkdale mall? Eaton centre too then

Elevators: not working yup this was badly built, but I've had to wait long times at other condos too. Covid is not any condos fault.

Elevator stopping can happen anywhere

Sounds: I've been in condos where you clearly hear people laughing outside, closing doors, etc

Fire alarms: like in any condo or building

Basically if you don't want the above, go rent or buy a house. Oh you don't have 1 million?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2017
1226 posts
980 upvotes
GVA
rfdrfd wrote: Yup it's bad but that's condo living. If your condo is better then that's simply luck

Bullets: that's not due to the condo being bad. Is shooting just happened at Yorkdale too so are we going to blame Yorkdale mall? Eaton centre too then

Elevators: not working yup this was badly built, but I've had to wait long times at other condos too. Covid is not any condos fault.

Sounds: I've been in condos where you clearly hear people laughing outside, closing doors, etc

Basically if you don't want the above, go rent or buy a house. Oh you don't have 1 million?
all caused by people, so more like Basically if you don't want the above, go live in less dense area
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
seatiger wrote: all caused by people, so more like Basically if you don't want the above, go live in less dense area
Exactly. I used to live in a condo for over 10 years and it was amazing however one time someone moved above me which likes to move chairs and drop things at 4:00 a.m. in the morning 2:00 a.m. waking me up.

We complain, it gets better for 2 nights and returns.

I lived next to the elevator, we hear the people laughing next to it, drunk coming back from a club at 4am, etc.

Condo living

No one wants these things to happen, but it does. In a big city.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2018
1031 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
Which developers should one avoid?

I have to say my condo is pretty good because it is an older one and I believe most residents are middle age and up so less renters. Plus no short term rentals.
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
rfdrfd wrote: Yup it's bad but that's condo living. If your condo is better then that's simply luck

Better find a detached house. The way homes with attached units are built....you will deal with noise.