Careers

If you switch a shift before or after a stat holiday, do you still get paid for it?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2019 4:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes

If you switch a shift before or after a stat holiday, do you still get paid for it?

Asking for a friend who works about 30hrs a week at Dollarama. She is able to give away her shift this Saturday but doesn't want to lose her stat pay on Monday. Her manager approved the shift change but said she wouldn't be paid for the stat. Can someone clarify the rules here?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3754 posts
538 upvotes
Leuven
If in Ontario can check out this page

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es ... lidays.php

Basically you have to work your last scheduled shift before the holiday and first scheduled shift after the holiday. In a way she isn't working the last scheduled shift before the holiday, but I am not sure if switching your shift and having it approved by the employer is any different than taking say a holiday day where you would still be entitled to the holiday pay (your last scheduled shift gets moved to before you take your holiday days)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes
Yeah that's what I'm getting but nobody seems to know whether an approved shift change can void your holiday pay.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11930 posts
2909 upvotes
Durham Region
If you switch your shift and it is approved then whatever shift you were switching to is the scheduled one.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19148 posts
3371 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
An approved schedule change would mean that her last scheduled shift is (likely) Friday. She should be paid for the stat.

This scenario is closely covered in the link above, where management approves a day off before the stat:
Lev regularly works Monday to Thursday. Lev has asked his employer for permission to take off the Thursday before the public holiday because he has a personal appointment. His employer agrees. Lev's last regularly scheduled work day before the holiday is now considered to be on the Wednesday.

If Lev works his entire Wednesday shift before the holiday and his entire Tuesday shift after the holiday, or has reasonable cause for not working either of those days, he qualifies for the paid public holiday.
Trading a shift to get a day off has no practical difference from just taking a day off (unpaid or vacation), if both have management approval.
Feb 2, 2019
1 posts
What if I called in on scheduled shift before the stat, but WORK ON THE STAT, will I still get payed?