Cell Phones

If you upgrade early on contract but return the new phone, do you get credit back your old activation bonus?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2020 11:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1004 posts
346 upvotes

If you upgrade early on contract but return the new phone, do you get credit back your old activation bonus?

I am on Koodo right now and on contract for a current phone (under the new rules)

If I purchase a new phone, I will have to pay the phone credit.

Let's say I do this but decide to return the new phone, then do I get back my phone credit as long as I am on contract?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7137 posts
7782 upvotes
Toronto
DrDoomsday wrote: I am on Koodo right now and on contract for a current phone (under the new rules)

If I purchase a new phone, I will have to pay the phone credit.

Let's say I do this but decide to return the new phone, then do I get back my phone credit as long as I am on contract?
No. I verified this with Koodo before this Black Friday. Once you pay the Tab Bonus (It was formerly referred to as the Phone Credit, Activation Bonus, or Activation Credit,) when cancel, upgrade, or change to an ineligible rate plan before 24 months, you do not get it back.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Tab-bonus
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18848 posts
2534 upvotes
Woodbridge
I asked about it too on the Koodo 4GB add-on thread.

Confirmed. No, you can't.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1004 posts
346 upvotes
Thanks guys. I called shortly after making the post and they told me the same thing. Once you've paid the activation bonus back, that money is gone.