• Sep 24th, 2020 11:24 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11238 posts
6219 upvotes
Markham

If you're looking for a video doorbell...wait for a WYZE one

$30 [in USD I presume]. For those who have WYZE cameras, they can attest that they work quite well. In comparison...the NEST and RING go for $200+ and subscription is more expensive than WYZE.

Wyze expands gadget lineup with new headphones, thermostat, and video doorbell

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/22/2145 ... lease-date

The new Wyze Video Doorbell costs $29.99 and is available for preorder starting today, while the company’s new headphones and thermostat will go up for preorder on September 29th and October 6th.

Wyze says its video doorbell requires a hardwired connection and it comes with 1080p video recording, night vision, IP65 weather resistance, and two-way audio. It also comes with the same set of cloud capabilities as its cameras, including full-length motion recording and person detection with a Cam Plus add-on subscription service as well as free cloud storage on a two-week rolling basis.

The doorbell also comes with Wyze’s custom wireless chime and all of the materials required for mounting, and the system supports multiple chimes in the event you want to play more than one throughout your home. (It’s not clear how much the chimes will cost when sold separately.)
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3385 posts
620 upvotes
GTA
A bit premature given they don't sell/ship pre-order items to Canada.
Nov 6, 2003
304 posts
75 upvotes
Oakville, ON
If the video is better, or close enough, and the time from clicking on the app to seeing the doorbell video is faster than the Ring/Rapid Ring apps then I'd be interested.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4773 posts
390 upvotes
GTA
After their poor Wyzecam Outdoor launch, I doubt this one will survive our Canadian winters also
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3736 posts
3813 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a Ring doorbell and Wyze cams, and I would say that the new Wyze doorbell looks like a pretty attractive product at the price. Their cloud recording subscription is cheaper than Ring's as well. However the comment about lack of sales and support in Canada is correct. Wyze keeps promising to support Canada Real Soon Now - as it has for about 2 years.

Two issues to consider with the Wyze doorbell though:
- While it can connect to the existing doorbell wires for power, it cannot ring the existing analog doorbell, unlike Ring and most other current smart doorbell products. It relies entirely on the digital chime unit they provide.
- Their camera has a narrow field of view that's vertically oriented. They make a big deal of this as a positive thing to clearly see people standing right in front of the doorbell camera - but without a wide horizontal field of view, it may not work for all doorbell locations.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2549 posts
404 upvotes
i was actually holding off buying a video doorbell waiting for Wyze doorbell release, i like the Wyze cams a lot. I was about to do the pre-order and then notice expected delivery was Jan 2021 which sucks, because I actually have a friend's son in the States studying, so was hoping to get this upon his Christmas break, but if this ships in Jan and due to Covid who knows what his Study schedule will be like.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5042 posts
1513 upvotes
Vancouver
wonder what kind of security feature it has from getting it stolen
Dec 25, 2012
944 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
hesp wrote: wonder what kind of security feature it has from getting it stolen
For $30? Buy another
JS
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3736 posts
3813 upvotes
Vancouver
hesp wrote: wonder what kind of security feature it has from getting it stolen
Explosive dye pack, goes off 30 seconds after disconnecting if not disabled beforehand.

Just kidding. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

The Ring cameras have "high security" screws holding the unit to the wall plate, but they're just a small Torx head. I suppose anyone intent on stealing Ring doorbells would simply get a compatible screwdriver and cover their face while disconnecting it. They would have to remove and take the wall plate too, because the doorbell unit won't work without it. Any attempt to pry the doorbell off the wall will simply break it unrepairably. And even if you manage to steal the cam, it can't work without connecting to Ring servers, where the serial number will have been reported stolen.

Ring offers free replacement if your doorbell unit is stolen - at least for one time.

But agree that it's hardly worth worrying about for US$30.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3385 posts
620 upvotes
GTA
The relatively low value of the unit (especially without the chime) should also help to discourage would-be thieves.