Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 22, 2011
34 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton

IGNITE 250 wireless issue

I saw the other thread but didnt wanna hijack it so starting my own. I have the 250/20 package and modem is CGN3ACR. Wired connection gives me over 250 down and 20 up so no issues there. Wireless however doesnt go over 30-40mbps and thats when I am sitting right beside the modem. So I bridged it and connected it with my own router ASUS RT AC66R , which wasnt cheap. Result is still the same. Wired connection is ok but wifi is still 20-30mbps range. connecting to 5GHZ does go up to 70mbps but I am paying for 250mbps!

any help would be appreciated.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2686 posts
762 upvotes
very odd...We are on 100/10 and getting bang on speeds wireless, never connect direct. We also use Gateway mode, not bridged. Is this a constant issue or recent? Try rebooting the modem, and unplug the coax and reconnect?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9625 posts
2603 upvotes
Toronto
Are you testing with a AC capable device that supports 500mbps+?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5784 posts
807 upvotes
Your wireless device most likely does not support AC speeds, you're getting full speed on wired so Rogers is not to blame here.

Sounds like your device only supports Wireless N 2.4/5 Ghz.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4546 posts
803 upvotes
I have AC gear and I can only get 130ish wireless. I have a Netgear R7000 and an Intel 7260-AC wireless card in my laptop.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12382 posts
2058 upvotes
Kanata
What wireless adapter are you using? It definitely sounds like an adapter issue.
Kherani wrote: I have AC gear and I can only get 130ish wireless. I have a Netgear R7000 and an Intel 7260-AC wireless card in my laptop.
I have the same wireless card and can do 320 on 250 Ignite. Using WLAN 5Ghz and the Linksys AC1900 router with the same card as you to transfer files, I can do around 500Mbps (60'ish megabytes/sec) which may actually be closer to the limit of the USB flash drive that I normally transfer to.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5784 posts
807 upvotes
Kherani wrote: I have AC gear and I can only get 130ish wireless. I have a Netgear R7000 and an Intel 7260-AC wireless card in my laptop.
How far away are you from the AP? 5Ghz fades faster due to it's higher frequency compared to 2.4 Ghz. Also do you have the latest drivers for your Intel 7260? That card series has had a troubled past with drivers, it's been ironed out mostly in the recent driver releases.

Using the Rogers GCN3ACR doing a quick speedtest on Ignite 100.
iPhone 6s (Wireless AC 5Ghz) 202Mbps down (Speedboost kicks in)
vs
iPhone 5s (Wireless N 5Ghz) 96Mbps down.

Both tested close to the modem, same location (Toronto) and server (Beanfield Metroconnect).
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4546 posts
803 upvotes
Running over Ethernet straight from the modem yeilds similar results. I'm starting to think that my area is maybe not wired properly or something.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5784 posts
807 upvotes
Kherani wrote: Running over Ethernet straight from the modem yeilds similar results. I'm starting to think that my area is maybe not wired properly or something.
That helps isolate things, you may very well be right. If you're getting the same speed over wired then wireless is probably not the issue, the Intel 7260 should be capable of those speeds.

I had packet loss/routing issues with my line and it took Rogers 4 months (and many calls) to finally fix it.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4546 posts
803 upvotes
tkyoshi wrote: That helps isolate things, you may very well be right. If you're getting the same speed over wired then wireless is probably not the issue, the Intel 7260 should be capable of those speeds.

I had packet loss/routing issues with my line and it took Rogers 4 months (and many calls) to finally fix it.
Turns out the idiot at Rogers never actually added ignite 250 to my account and the price he offered me has since expired.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2011
34 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
Yes I am also using it in the Gateway mode. I rebooted the modem by unplugging the coax and power. At 5GHz, i get close to 250mbps but at 2.5Ghz i am barely touching 40mbps. I am testing with devices that support AC.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4546 posts
803 upvotes
occhidifelino wrote: Yes I am also using it in the Gateway mode. I rebooted the modem by unplugging the coax and power. At 5GHz, i get close to 250mbps but at 2.5Ghz i am barely touching 40mbps. I am testing with devices that support AC.
The Rogers gateway is known to be junk.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2011
34 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
well it seems to be working for everyone else...
Kherani wrote: The Rogers gateway is known to be junk.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5784 posts
807 upvotes
occhidifelino wrote: Yes I am also using it in the Gateway mode. I rebooted the modem by unplugging the coax and power. At 5GHz, i get close to 250mbps but at 2.5Ghz i am barely touching 40mbps. I am testing with devices that support AC.
That sounds about right, 2.4 Ghz is Wireless N (AC is 5Ghz only) only and due to congestion in the band most of the time you can only use 20Mhz Channel Widths (max theoretical 150Mbps), 40Mbps sounds about right for real world.
Kherani wrote: The Rogers gateway is known to be junk.
The AC one is pretty decent, however where they fall behind is more you have a larger property the signal range may not be as good. However if you are happy with your current signal range then they're perfectly fine.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3768 posts
174 upvotes
Barrie
Copied this from the rogers website, just in case you havent checked out whats around the router
Try relocating your device or your modem to allow for better Wi-Fi signal broadcasting. While brick or concrete walls, metal doors, and aluminum studs are factors that are unlikely to change, since your modem was originally installed the addition or relocation of electronics and other items by you or surrounding neighbours (especially in townhomes or high rise buildings) may mean your modem is no longer in an optimal spot. Items that can affect Wi-Fi signal interference or congestion include the following:
Cordless phones, baby monitors, or wireless speakers
Enabled Bluetooth devices, especially in tablets and smartphones where Bluetooth and Wi-Fi share an antenna
Microwave ovens
Garage door openers
Fish tanks (water)
Mirrors
Giving six inches of “breathing” room around the modem (or router if used) or slightly elevating it may also help.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.