IIHS tests on pedestrian crash prevention

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2019 1:00 pm
[OP]
Sep 23, 2019
212 posts
276 upvotes

IIHS tests on pedestrian crash prevention

Here is a link to article and video about pedestrian crash prevention tests among midsize cars:

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/perfor ... dsize-cars

Summary:
Good: The Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Nissan Maxima, Subaru Outback and Volvo S60 have systems that earn superior ratings. They avoided collisions or slowed substantially in track tests.
Bad: At the other end of the spectrum, the Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima earn no credit because they failed to slow significantly in multiple scenarios.
Surprise to me - Tesla 3 performed worse than Subary Outback

2019/2020 Toyota Camry and Honda Accord got just an advanced rating - not bad, but I expected better.

It is very interesting to watch this video and see how these safety systems work.
3 replies
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
14 posts
6 upvotes
RedFlagAlias wrote: Here is an artcile about pedestrian crash prevention tests among midsize cars:

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/perfor ... dsize-cars

Summary:
Good: The Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Nissan Maxima, Subaru Outback and Volvo S60 have systems that earn superior ratings. They avoided collisions or slowed substantially in track tests.
Bad: At the other end of the spectrum, the Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima earn no credit because they failed to slow significantly in multiple scenarios.
Surprise to me - Tesla 3 performed worse than Subary Outback

2019/2020 Toyota Camry and Honda Accord got just an advanced rating - not bad, but I expected better.
Yeah, that is some nice (crap). How about those pedestrians get off their damn phones and obey rules for a change...or you can leave to the sensors and then blame "human error" :
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16579 posts
18145 upvotes
Oakville
Peternev wrote: Yeah, that is some nice (crap). How about those pedestrians get off their damn phones and obey rules for a change...or you can leave to the sensors and then blame "human error" :
I bet at least half of ped injuries are due to distracted drivers.
Everyone should get off their phones.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Feb 8, 2010
437 posts
342 upvotes
I am wondering, will all these advanced collision prevention technologies encourage more distracted driving?

Every time I saw someone posting that how their Volvo helped to stop for a pedestrian, I was like... how did he get his license?