IIHS tests on pedestrian crash prevention

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2019 1:00 pm
[OP]
Sep 23, 2019
89 posts
94 upvotes

IIHS tests on pedestrian crash prevention

Here is a link to article and video about pedestrian crash prevention tests among midsize cars:

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/perfor ... dsize-cars

Summary:
Good: The Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Nissan Maxima, Subaru Outback and Volvo S60 have systems that earn superior ratings. They avoided collisions or slowed substantially in track tests.
Bad: At the other end of the spectrum, the Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima earn no credit because they failed to slow significantly in multiple scenarios.
Surprise to me - Tesla 3 performed worse than Subary Outback

2019/2020 Toyota Camry and Honda Accord got just an advanced rating - not bad, but I expected better.

It is very interesting to watch this video and see how these safety systems work.
3 replies
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
14 posts
6 upvotes
RedFlagAlias wrote: Here is an artcile about pedestrian crash prevention tests among midsize cars:

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/perfor ... dsize-cars

Summary:
Good: The Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Nissan Maxima, Subaru Outback and Volvo S60 have systems that earn superior ratings. They avoided collisions or slowed substantially in track tests.
Bad: At the other end of the spectrum, the Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima earn no credit because they failed to slow significantly in multiple scenarios.
Surprise to me - Tesla 3 performed worse than Subary Outback

2019/2020 Toyota Camry and Honda Accord got just an advanced rating - not bad, but I expected better.
Yeah, that is some nice (crap). How about those pedestrians get off their damn phones and obey rules for a change...or you can leave to the sensors and then blame "human error" :
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14126 posts
14727 upvotes
Oakville
Peternev wrote: Yeah, that is some nice (crap). How about those pedestrians get off their damn phones and obey rules for a change...or you can leave to the sensors and then blame "human error" :
I bet at least half of ped injuries are due to distracted drivers.
Everyone should get off their phones.
Feb 8, 2010
323 posts
249 upvotes
I am wondering, will all these advanced collision prevention technologies encourage more distracted driving?

Every time I saw someone posting that how their Volvo helped to stop for a pedestrian, I was like... how did he get his license?