Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2018

[IKEA] Black Friday Preview - $50 off $200+ Coupon for First 200 Visitors, 20% off All Mattresses, 20% off BESTÅ Storage + More

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 10:43 am
May 24, 2012
135 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
It's like a normal day. Not slow, not busy. Most people are still at work.
Jan 20, 2007
546 posts
347 upvotes
Was at the Etobicoke store and the $100 gift card was only being given out to customers purchasing $1000 or more. The scratch coupon was only available at the cash register if you're purchasing a soft toy and cannot be combined with the $50 coupon, even though the Official Rules says NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Still ended up purchasing the item I wanted with the $50 coupon but definitely feel a bit mislead and annoyed as I woke up at 5am... Was it the same at other locations?
Last edited by V-ron on Nov 23rd, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1096 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto
oh wow, HEMNES OOS at North York already from 98 this morning.
Now my $20 pick up fee doesn't feel so bad.
May 23, 2014
864 posts
436 upvotes
canada
V-ron wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 12:51 pm
Was at the Etobicoke store and the $100 gift card was only being given out to customers purchasing $1000 or more. The scratch coupon was only available at the cash register if you're purchasing a soft toy and cannot be combined with the $50 coupon, even though the Official Rules says NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Still ended up purchasing the item I wanted with the $50 coupon but definitely feel a bit mislead and annoyed as I woke up at 5am... Was it the same at other locations?
Yeah Ikea has always been a joke in terms of how managers and employees and the call center follow rules. Everyone’s got something different interpretation of policies, contests and promos. The $50 off $200 was said to be useable the whole weekend they suddenly said it’s only today. Call center said the $100 gift cards were gonna be a raffle starting from 8am. These idiots now decided to start it at 10pm and u gotta lineup again. Also scratch and ave is also at 10pm.
Nov 22, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
So my bf and I got to Ikea Ottawa this morning 8am on the dot. No $50 cards available anymore..Got some free coffee and some cinnamon rolls and decided to walk around a bit. Found the guy handing out scratch cards and the Ikea employee actually said to us we can scratch them ourselves (I was very surprised and asked him to confirm. He said yes we can scratch them ourselves because it's a dollar value and not a percentage??) Anyways so the bf got $75 off of $75 and I got $15 only lol. So we we ended up getting a better deal with the scratch cards than the $50 coupon that people lined up for. Also the bf overheard someone asking an employee for directions and got the $100 for free... Apparently they are given out at random...I guess you have to be good looking? Lol
Nov 14, 2012
59 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver
Arrived at IKEA Richmond at 6:45 am, about 10-15 people already in line. Then a tidal wave of people showed up around 7 am. Seems like I just managed to beat the rush. Crowd control was very well managed, IKEA staff were cheerful and provided coffee, hot chocolate, and biscuits. I was handed the following coupons: $50 off, $5 off food market, free breakfast, scratch and save card. No mention of the $100 gift card.

Can confirm that using the coupons was awkward. I bought a mattress and two soft toys; the cashier said the $50 off and scratch and save could not be used on the same transaction. So my purchase was divided into two transactions, one for the bed and another for the toys. But surprise, the scratch and save could not be applied to the soft toys because they did not meet the $75 minimum. The cashier spent quite some time reviewing and interpreting the fine print (shouldn't they have been briefed beforehand?) I didn't have the patience to argue, plus a long line had formed behind me so I just kept it moving. Thankfully my scratch and save was only $5 so no big loss there. But yeah, it seems to be a haphazard and frustrating experience for the customer in general.

Okay, thanks for listening to my TED talk.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
6447 posts
1778 upvotes
Toronto
Sjlaaaa wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 4:17 pm
So my bf and I got to Ikea Ottawa this morning 8am on the dot. No $50 cards available anymore..Got some free coffee and some cinnamon rolls and decided to walk around a bit. Found the guy handing out scratch cards and the Ikea employee actually said to us we can scratch them ourselves (I was very surprised and asked him to confirm. He said yes we can scratch them ourselves because it's a dollar value and not a percentage??) Anyways so the bf got $75 off of $75 and I got $15 only lol. So we we ended up getting a better deal with the scratch cards than the $50 coupon that people lined up for. Also the bf overheard someone asking an employee for directions and got the $100 for free... Apparently they are given out at random...I guess you have to be good looking? Lol
Good looking people always get the good stuffs 🤬
Dec 24, 2014
224 posts
535 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does anyone remember last year whether Black Friday deals were repeated on Cyber Monday? I am hoping to buy a new mattress but the 20% off ends this Sunday. Any strategy of how to get both the discount and the free shipping. E.g, should I buy on Sunday and pay for shipping and come Monday call them to ask for a free shipping adjustment? Obviously, I'm assuming they will repeat the free shipping deal on CM.
Jun 27, 2008
645 posts
59 upvotes
Does Ikea re-stock during day when their deal of the day is oos? I thought I woke up early enough but I guess not and they're already sold out the item I want.
Sep 8, 2010
206 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
new2008 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 8:17 am
Does Ikea re-stock during day when their deal of the day is oos? I thought I woke up early enough but I guess not and they're already sold out the item I want.
They only stock in the morning but sometimes the inventory gets updated only later.
When they have a daily specials though they would often bring multiple pallet down in the warehouse area. When they do that, the stocks online are not always updated.
Sep 6, 2006
405 posts
518 upvotes
RodgetheDodge wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 4:35 pm
Arrived at IKEA Richmond at 6:45 am, about 10-15 people already in line. Then a tidal wave of people showed up around 7 am. Seems like I just managed to beat the rush. Crowd control was very well managed, IKEA staff were cheerful and provided coffee, hot chocolate, and biscuits. I was handed the following coupons: $50 off, $5 off food market, free breakfast, scratch and save card. No mention of the $100 gift card.

Can confirm that using the coupons was awkward. I bought a mattress and two soft toys; the cashier said the $50 off and scratch and save could not be used on the same transaction. So my purchase was divided into two transactions, one for the bed and another for the toys. But surprise, the scratch and save could not be applied to the soft toys because they did not meet the $75 minimum. The cashier spent quite some time reviewing and interpreting the fine print (shouldn't they have been briefed beforehand?) I didn't have the patience to argue, plus a long line had formed behind me so I just kept it moving. Thankfully my scratch and save was only $5 so no big loss there. But yeah, it seems to be a haphazard and frustrating experience for the customer in general.

Okay, thanks for listening to my TED talk.
I got to the Ikea Richmond at around 8am so I just got a scratch card, but someone who held the elevator for me told me the exact same thing. He was buying a mattress and soft toys. If it was you, thanks!

So I asked a couple of employees and finally one of them knew about the $100GC. It was a spin the wheel thing right in front of smaland starting at 11am, for 10 minutes each time. So more crazy lines there of course. Didn't want to wait 2 hours, so I just bought my mattress and left.
Nov 3, 2018
75 posts
68 upvotes
I noticed on my receipt that the coupon got applied to the price of purchase (pre-tax), so we actually saved $56.50 out of our pocket after taxes. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Aug 29, 2018
91 posts
34 upvotes
MontfortOaks wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 9:29 pm
Does anyone remember last year whether Black Friday deals were repeated on Cyber Monday? I am hoping to buy a new mattress but the 20% off ends this Sunday. Any strategy of how to get both the discount and the free shipping. E.g, should I buy on Sunday and pay for shipping and come Monday call them to ask for a free shipping adjustment? Obviously, I'm assuming they will repeat the free shipping deal on CM.
also curious whether shipping will be free tonight/tomorrow?
May 23, 2014
864 posts
436 upvotes
canada
OxbridgeIvy wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 7:00 pm
I noticed on my receipt that the coupon got applied to the price of purchase (pre-tax), so we actually saved $56.50 out of our pocket after taxes. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Pretty standard get coupons applied pre tax I think it’s illegal to do it the other way
Nov 14, 2012
59 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver
ebee wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 11:13 am
I got to the Ikea Richmond at around 8am so I just got a scratch card, but someone who held the elevator for me told me the exact same thing. He was buying a mattress and soft toys. If it was you, thanks!

So I asked a couple of employees and finally one of them knew about the $100GC. It was a spin the wheel thing right in front of smaland starting at 11am, for 10 minutes each time. So more crazy lines there of course. Didn't want to wait 2 hours, so I just bought my mattress and left.
Yes, that was me! Always nice to meet a fellow RDF-er out in the wild. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes