Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2018

[IKEA] Black Friday Preview - $50 off $200+ Coupon for First 200 Visitors, 20% off All Mattresses, 20% off BESTÅ Storage + More

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 10:43 am
Nov 3, 2018
113 posts
115 upvotes
Over the weekend, I re-bought (return and buy again, under 365 day return policy) 2 strandmon chairs and a stockholm coffee table that I originally bought back in March. Plus the $50 voucher, I gained back $355 after taxes! And free breakfast.

I "re-bought" it in the way I outlined earlier:
OxbridgeIvy wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 4:31 pm
Their return policy has recently been adjusted to 365 days. Therefore, if you do it right, you can get yourself the best deal for anything you bought in the last 365 days. If going through the regular channels for price adjustment doesn't work, it's done like this:

1. You kept your receipt for the original purchase.
2. The item(s) then go on sale, for example on Black Friday.
3. Buy the item(s) again, that are now on sale.
4. Cart your purchase right over to the returns desk.
5. Return it, but with your original receipt, which you paid full price for.
6. You have just done a price adjustment for anything you bought in the last 365 days. (You got your money back from when you paid full price, and paid out the sale price)
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1242 posts
169 upvotes
FYI had a bit of trouble returning something I bought with the $50 coupon (and presumably a scratch and save card too)...

We checked out at the self-checkout and it turns out the $50 coupon is distributed amongst all of the items in your transaction proportionally. At the self-checkout, you are not aware of this at all until after you've paid and you see the receipt. This is kinda shitty because it turns out that when you return an item on that transaction, you only get the 'discounted' price and basically lose a chunk of your $50 - the problem is that you are not aware of this until after you've paid as their systems don't actively show the discounted prices. I can understand their policy in doing this because it prevents people from 'artificially' pumping up their price to reach the minimum $200 spend and then returning the filler items later. That said, it also hurts consumers who have much larger total transactions (as was my case).

For me, I bought $440 before tax worth of stuff, one item of which was $225. When I went to return it, they were only able to refund me approximately $200 since there was around a $25 portion of the coupon applied to it. I had to escalate and argue with three levels of management to get my money as my argument was that my transaction, even after the refund, met all of the requirements for the $50 coupon and so I should be entitled to it. It probably only took three levels of management because the first manager I spoke with spewed some false info (that the $50 had no minimum spend) which got relayed to the second manager. Only the third (very nice) guy I spoke with knew the proper details and fixed it for me...
Nov 3, 2018
113 posts
115 upvotes
malaujai wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 12:04 am
FYI had a bit of trouble returning something I bought with the $50 coupon (and presumably a scratch and save card too)...

We checked out at the self-checkout and it turns out the $50 coupon is distributed amongst all of the items in your transaction proportionally. At the self-checkout, you are not aware of this at all until after you've paid and you see the receipt. This is kinda shitty because it turns out that when you return an item on that transaction, you only get the 'discounted' price and basically lose a chunk of your $50 - the problem is that you are not aware of this until after you've paid as their systems don't actively show the discounted prices. I can understand their policy in doing this because it prevents people from 'artificially' pumping up their price to reach the minimum $200 spend and then returning the filler items later. That said, it also hurts consumers who have much larger total transactions (as was my case).

For me, I bought $440 before tax worth of stuff, one item of which was $225. When I went to return it, they were only able to refund me approximately $200 since there was around a $25 portion of the coupon applied to it. I had to escalate and argue with three levels of management to get my money as my argument was that my transaction, even after the refund, met all of the requirements for the $50 coupon and so I should be entitled to it. It probably only took three levels of management because the first manager I spoke with spewed some false info (that the $50 had no minimum spend) which got relayed to the second manager. Only the third (very nice) guy I spoke with knew the proper details and fixed it for me...
I've had a similar thing like this a few years ago. They had a buy 3 get 1 free dining chairs event. As I found out at the returns desk, In the system the transaction distributes the value of the "free" chair as a discounted price among all 4 chairs. So it considers each chair to be priced at 3/4 of the regular price.

My situation was that during the event they only had 3 chairs in the colour I wanted (white), and they weren't getting it restocked until after the event was over. So I took 3 in the white, and then a 4th of the same chair in a different colour. Then when the chair came back in stock in white, I went to the returns desk to exchange the colour. They just gave me a return as a gift card so that I could just go pick up the white chair from self-serve, except that it kept ringing up at 3/4 of the price. They just manually issued me the gift card in the amount of the chair regular price plus tax.

I would assume any discount that is not specific to one item, or that applies to a multi-item deal, would be distributed.
Feb 23, 2014
790 posts
305 upvotes
Total scam. I've been trying to order a BESTA and an ALEX for the last 5 days with no luck. now the sales prices are gone but shipping is free. again, no luck. **** pissed.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14156 posts
3202 upvotes
Yes, a sale with a set date is a scam.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1313 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
Made a pick up order on Friday, pick up time frame came and past, never gotten the e-mail saying it's ready for pick up.
Called in Friday to see what was happening, rep said I should get it soon.
Still no email, so I called on Sunday, says it's ready for pick up, though my online status still says Order Received, but since they close early on Sunday I didn't have time to get it.
Rep says they have lots stock so I could go on Monday to go get it.
I'll bet my order isn't even ready for pick up, and I'll have to haul it out myself from the warehouse.
Going to have to argue to have them refund my $20 pick up fee.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2727 posts
2049 upvotes
Toronto
OxbridgeIvy wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 4:31 pm
Their return policy has recently been adjusted to 365 days. Therefore, if you do it right, you can get yourself the best deal for anything you bought in the last 365 days. If going through the regular channels for price adjustment doesn't work, it's done like this:

1. You kept your receipt for the original purchase.
2. The item(s) then go on sale, for example on Black Friday.
3. Buy the item(s) again, that are now on sale.
4. Cart your purchase right over to the returns desk.
5. Return it, but with your original receipt, which you paid full price for.
6. You have just done a price adjustment for anything you bought in the last 365 days. (You got your money back from when you paid full price, and paid out the sale price)
i asked customer service about whats stopping me from doing this method because they would not price adjust for me, they said they would check build date on receipt vs item returned.

Also lining up for the $50 off $200 aint even worth it. my friend went at like 6pm, won 2x 75 off 75 with his wife and got $150 worth of stuff free from scratch and save.
Jan 13, 2004
754 posts
176 upvotes
Vancouver
paul29m wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 1:01 am
Total scam. I've been trying to order a BESTA and an ALEX for the last 5 days with no luck. now the sales prices are gone but shipping is free. again, no luck. **** pissed.
How is it a scam? It was available when I pieced together my order the day the sale started. After hitting checkout, I decided not to pay the shipping or the $20 picking fee so I waited until the end of the day and grabbed the Besta system at the store. When I was there the evening of the 19th, there were very few people buying Bestas. There was also lots of inventory on the shelves.
May 23, 2014
951 posts
504 upvotes
canada
dracolnyte wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 10:41 am
i asked customer service about whats stopping me from doing this method because they would not price adjust for me, they said they would check build date on receipt vs item returned.

no that doesn’t happen.
Nov 3, 2018
113 posts
115 upvotes
dracolnyte wrote:

Also lining up for the $50 off $200 aint even worth it. my friend went at like 6pm, won 2x 75 off 75 with his wife and got $150 worth of stuff free from scratch and save.
There is absolutely no way they can possibly justify not allowing your return - unless the product number changes (which they do occasionally from time to time).

Think about it this way. If you buy an item, let's say a table, with a certain product number. It comes on sale, you buy a second one. Now you own 2 tables (with the same product number). It is perfectly within your right to return one of them. The fact that you return the one you paid more for, vs the one you paid less for, is irrelevant to them. What matters to them (as it should) is that you are returning an item and the product number on the item you are returning matches the product number on the receipt, and that the receipt is within 365 days.

If by chance the product number did change, as I mentioned above being a possibility, then you can still get the deal that's on sale. It just means you return your first physical item, with the old product number - the one you probably already built. And then actually bring your new on-sale item home and build it again. Basically you just do a straight return of your item within 365 days, and then buy yourself a new one that's now on sale. If the item is too bulky to transport yourself, then it may not be worth it for you.
Last edited by OxbridgeIvy on Nov 26th, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2727 posts
2049 upvotes
Toronto
thesick wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 10:58 am
no that doesn’t happen.
OxbridgeIvy wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 11:09 am
There is absolutely no way they can possibly justify not allowing your return - unless the product number changes (which they do occasionally from time to time).

Think about it this way. If you buy an item, let's say a table, with a certain product number. It comes on sale, you buy a second one. Now you own 2 tables (with the same product number). It is perfectly within your right to return one of them. The fact that you return the one you paid more for, vs the one you paid less for, is irrelevant to them. What matters to them (as it should) is that you are returning an item and the product number on the item you are returning matches the product number on the receipt, and that the receipt is within 365 days.
oh well, maybe that sofa will come back at 599 for a ikea family within the next 9 months and i'll just do a regular PM instead of a BF PM
Jan 20, 2007
551 posts
349 upvotes
dracolnyte wrote:
Which location was this at?
Oct 5, 2017
304 posts
92 upvotes
redeagle wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 8:01 pm
In for a Besta TV bench to house my new 65" Vizio in my new renovated basement Astonished Face
I just bought a besta too but I don't wanna fasten the tv bench to the wall... Anyone here who didn't fasten their tv bench on the wall?