Expired Hot Deals

[IKEA] Black Friday: "Up to double the sell-back value" in the form of In-Store Credit via IKEA Canada’s “Sell-Back” service

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 12:45 am
[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
632 posts
899 upvotes
BC

[IKEA] Black Friday: "Up to double the sell-back value" in the form of In-Store Credit via IKEA Canada’s “Sell-Back” service

This is most definitely YMMV but here's the quick summary:
  • IKEA has launched a sell-back service where they'll quote a price to buy-back your used IKEA furniture you don't want and pay you in-store credit.
  • For Black Friday they'll offer you "Up to double the sell-back value"; and, yes, I know "up to double" can mean anything, but I imagine this should always translate to "more than we'd usually give you".
  • The start date should be very soon since it's supposed to start "mid-November" although their BF page hasn't formally announced the start. They said in their press release "The IKEA Canada Black Friday campaign will run from mid-November through until the end of the month, with more details to come. To stay up to date, visit IKEA.ca/BlackFriday."

Here's their announcement of this deal: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/this-is-ikea ... ub5ad13df0
Here's their sell-back page submission page: https://ikeafamily.ca/en/sell-back
Here's their sell-back FAQ (also quoted below): https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/customer-service/faq
Here's their black Friday 2020 page (which currently has nothing announced): https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/campaigns/black-friday/

If there's interest, I'll update/edit this post as we learn more and also provide my experience with it.
1. What is the IKEA Sell-Back program?

IKEA Canada’s “Sell-Back” service is a smarter way to look at the value of your unwanted furnishings. When it’s time to say goodbye to the things that are outdated, unwanted or cluttering your home, we’ll buy them back from you in the form of an IKEA in-store credit. You get to spend the value of the item(s) in-store. It really is that simple and easy! We’ll do our best to give another life to the items we buy back, so that you benefit, the community benefits, and so does the planet. Together, we're making a more beautiful world.

2. What is the process involved with selling my furniture back to IKEA?

All IKEA Family members can visit IKEAFamily.ca and submit items for consideration by filling out a simple online form with a minimum of four photos of the product. Once the submission is received by IKEA, you will receive a confirmation email with a reference code.

An IKEA co-worker from the selected store will respond within 5 days with an in-store credit offer or a decline. If you receive an offer, you must bring the product, reference code, and IKEA Family card to the Returns & Exchanges desk at the selected store within 30 days to complete the transaction and receive the IKEA in-store credit that was offered.

3. Can I negotiate the price?

All Sell-Back offers from IKEA Canada are firm and non-negotiable.

4. How long before I can expect to hear a response?

After 5 business days, you can check your application online to see if your item has been approved. If it is still processing, please wait a day and check again.

5. Why should I sell my furniture through the IKEA Sell-Back program when someone else could buy it for more?

Selling a product to IKEA is the best way to ensure the transaction will go smoothly and be handled professionally.

6. Once we agree on a deal, will IKEA pick it up or do I have to drop it off myself?

All Sell-Back transactions will occur at the Returns & Exchanges desk of the IKEA store that was selected on the Sell-Back submission form. You must bring the assembled product, reference code, and your IKEA Family card in order to complete the transaction.

7. Can the furniture be disassembled for easier transportation?

All items must be presented at the Returns & Exchanges counter fully assembled, in a condition that matches the photos and description that were submitted.

8. What if I present the item at the store and I’m told it is not what was expected. Can IKEA back out of the purchase?

Yes. If, in the opinion of the IKEA team, the product does not match the photos and description submitted, we reserve the right to reduce or withdraw the in-store credit offer. We ask that all items are accurately represented in submission to avoid any misunderstandings around condition of the product. Photos are taken and images selected should best represent the product and its condition.

9. What kind of products are accepted and are not accepted through the Sell-Back service?

A detailed list can be found on IKEAFamily.ca under the terms and conditions of the Sell-Back program. For exclusions, please see the list below:
Non-IKEA furniture
Outdoor furniture
Mattresses, textiles and other soft goods (pillows, towels, etc.)
Items with glass
Baby and children’s furniture
Oversized pieces (e.g. PAX, BESTA, Kitchens, etc)
Any “hacked” items
83 replies
Jan 9, 2007
791 posts
265 upvotes
Markham
How the heck am I gonna bring my bed frame back lol
Koodo $60/10gb
Rogers $39.99/150Mbps download/unlimited

if you know of a better deal, please PM me
Mar 7, 2011
30 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
How did you bring it home before?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2949 posts
1556 upvotes
Mississauga
You must bring THE ASSEMBLED PRODUCT BACK....uh, what Ikea?
Dec 30, 2006
639 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
ewong2 wrote: How did you bring it home before?
They want it back assembled. Unless you have a moving van, this excludes most of their products
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2246 posts
732 upvotes
Toronto
"Upon bringing the items to a store, vouchers will be given—50% of the original retail price for mint pieces, 40% for items in very good condition, and 30% for well-loved pieces."
https://mymodernmet.com/ikea-buy-back-i ... d%20pieces.

Not sure if this would be the same in Canada, but seems pretty fair.
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Feb 21, 2008
55 posts
66 upvotes
So you have to haul your old furniture piece down there yourself, probably disassemble it to get it there, then somehow re-assemble it in the store or parking lot?? And then if IKEA thinks it doesn’t match the photos they can back out of the deal and then you are stuck with furniture you’d have to disassemble again, and transport back to your home to be re-assembled?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1932 posts
436 upvotes
Lévis
Does it have to be in a working condition? If not I'll have tons of stuff to sell back to them...
Last edited by SPARTACVS on Nov 15th, 2020 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1190 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ikea has been a cluster to deal with on their online store. I can't see this program being run any better. Lol
[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
632 posts
899 upvotes
BC
Driftwood wrote: "Upon bringing the items to a store, vouchers will be given—50% of the original retail price for mint pieces, 40% for items in very good condition, and 30% for well-loved pieces."
https://mymodernmet.com/ikea-buy-back-i ... d%20pieces.

Not sure if this would be the same in Canada, but seems pretty fair.
Good find. That means for black Friday since they'll "up to double" it, it should be "up to 100% of the original retail price for mint pieces, 80% for items in very good condition, and 60% for well-loved pieces."
[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
632 posts
899 upvotes
BC
tyrrell wrote: They want it back assembled. Unless you have a moving van, this excludes most of their products
Yeah - my plan is to partially disassemble, and then reassemble them at the store lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6417 posts
1041 upvotes
The fully assembled part is beyond insane. So imagine I have a big Besta set I need do all these work to get back 30% of its original price. No thank you. I don’t know how this program can be successful. Maybe a coffee table or kids desk would work but that wouldn’t even worth the time and effort.
Jul 30, 2017
147 posts
181 upvotes
Kanata
From what I read, I need to take 4 pictures of the item I want to sell back and create an application with IKEA, upon approval bring it back fully assembled. So to take advantage of this deal when should I file the application?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2816 posts
1123 upvotes
Markham
Lol we should all jam before the return counter and start assembling our pieces, what a sight that would be
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2334 posts
782 upvotes
Mississauga
golden wrote: The fully assembled part is beyond insane. So imagine I have a big Besta set I need do all these work to get back 30% of its original price. No thank you. I don’t know how this program can be successful. Maybe a coffee table or kids desk would work but that wouldn’t even worth the time and effort.
Relax.. Besta is excluded.
Aug 26, 2012
236 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Is this what gets resold in their 'as-is' section?
Nov 6, 2012
292 posts
296 upvotes
Edmonton
Says i need to complete my profile to continue but doesnt tell me what to complete. **** good job Ikea ya buncha goofs