Home & Garden

Ikea Closet Issues - Anyone good with doors?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 3:18 pm
[OP]
Jan 29, 2017
64 posts
44 upvotes

Ikea Closet Issues - Anyone good with doors?

So I've got an older model IKEA closet. It was purchased about ten years ago. The sliding doors have never completely worked properly and I'm just about at the end of my rope. (And before anyone comments on the amount of time I've been living with this, I've had other things going on and it's been on a list of things to get taken care of that I've been slowly doing during COVID. )

I sent IKEA a video of the doors - what they're doing and not doing - and they told me they can't help unless I give them my order number and/or the parts number.

SOOO, I'm asking if there's anyone on this forum who might be familiar with sliding doors on IKEA closets. I'm pretty sure it's a PAX - but then again, I could be wrong. It was purchased during a remodel fog just after my father passed away so I'm not too sure on a lot of details.

However, to explain in a nutshell, both doors will slide closed to cover both sides of the closet. They will slide completely open on one side (doubled up), but when it comes to the other side, it won't open completely. It stops about an inch and a half shy of complete, and I can't slide out my pants rack.

Any and all assistance would be helpful. My husband can't figure it out - he's kind of useless with this stuff, plus he's pissed that I kicked him out of that closet and into the storage closet downstairs. I'm to the point where I'm considering removing the doors and just hanging curtains, but I'd like to see if it can be fixed before I go that route.
Images
  • 00A2960F-E55F-49D2-9E0D-3FEDE3E23081.jpeg
  • D8CF82A3-6CB8-4379-A4D0-19C6E85C01A1.jpeg
  • 633210E2-9EDE-4CBD-8334-14864E635E69.jpeg
Last edited by Angellz on Oct 23rd, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Sep 3, 2019
518 posts
330 upvotes
GTA
Photos of the door mechanism might be helpful here so even people who don't own an Ikea closet are more able to help
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14075 posts
8490 upvotes
Toronto
I think there was a huge thread on ikea doors.... maybe related issue?

EDIT: Nope, it was hinged doors.

Post a pic.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14075 posts
8490 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like your bump stop is on backwards, ie, facing the wrong side.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Jan 29, 2017
64 posts
44 upvotes
koffey wrote: Looks like your bump stop is on backwards, ie, facing the wrong side.
Thanks Koffey. I'll try switching that.
Aug 7, 2005
866 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
If that doesn't solve it I'd also verify that both cabinets are perfectly level.

Ikea sliding doors are notorious for all sorts of issues if the wardrobes themselves aren't perfectly level.

PS: Nice Clark jersey
Nov 13, 2016
431 posts
244 upvotes
From the second pic it's seems (untrained eye) that the wardrobe is not square. The top and bottom edges of the doors don't align with the frame of the wardrobe or with each other.

CD
May 9, 2014
10 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The right door should be the inner door, closest to the cabinet. The left door should be the outside one.

You should be able to take the outside door off and then slide the inside door to the right, then install the outside door again but on the left side.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2353 posts
317 upvotes
North York
Canadadesi wrote: From the second pic it's seems (untrained eye) that the wardrobe is not square. The top and bottom edges of the doors don't align with the frame of the wardrobe or with each other.
To check for square, measure diagonally from corner to corner in an X pattern. It should be the same number for each, if not, it's out of square.